Samsung Galaxy S6 to Have Glass Backing and Non-Removable Battery

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung-Blue-Metal-Logo.jpg

Hot on the heels of our HTC One M9 rumor, we also have a new Samsung Galaxy S6 rumor. This one seems to coincide with some of our previous reports S6 rumors as well. Supposedly, Sammy's next flagship will have a non-removable battery because it will have a glass back on its case.

This is a separate rumor from the one we reported previously suggesting Samsung will launch a "premium" version with a dual-edge curved display. It is unclear if both of these devices will have the glass backing, but this story is referring to the "vanilla" version. This rumor also flies in the face of previous rumors suggesting an all metal design. Perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle.

While most folks will be happy to see Samsung switch to more premium materials than the plastic of older generation Galaxy S models, we are sure that many of them might also be unhappy with the non-removable battery. Sound off with your point of view.

Here's our link to the Galaxy S6 dedicated section for further discussions: Samsung Galaxy S6 General Discussions Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Valvoline

Reaction score
Not worth having the fancy materials you hide inside a case if you have to give up replaceable battery. Unless you but a new phone every year, replaceable batteries are a must for those whose like to get any sort of use out of a 1-2 yr old phone.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Didn't they learn anything from the iPhone with the glass back? Was that the 5?

Whichever one it was, I had a girlfriend who had one and always kept it in a case. She dropped it in the case and that glass on the back shattered.

What a strange decision if it's true...

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
samsung... doesn't sound like apple... I wonder if it'll have a round home button too.

ugh, such a ridiculous idea, why would I want glass on both sides of my phone, I'm with @cr6 why have a glass back when it's going to live in a case, and it it's NOT going to live in a case? again, WHY have a glass back.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Didn't they learn anything from the iPhone with the glass back? Was that the 5?

Whichever one it was, I had a girlfriend who had one and always kept it in a case. She dropped it in the case and that glass on the back shattered.

What a strange decision if it's true...
Don't forget the Sony S3V with glass back. There are already images of shattered backs on those phones as well.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Not worth having the fancy materials you hide inside a case if you have to give up replaceable battery. Unless you but a new phone every year, replaceable batteries are a must for those whose like to get any sort of use out of a 1-2 yr old phone.
I have 3 razr maxx' that were bought on launch day.. All still have great battery life.. No battery swell.. And still plugging along.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the Sony S3V with glass back. There are already images of shattered backs on those phones as well.

That's one of the reasons I've not upgraded the the z3v yet... not sure if I want a glass back

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)
Samsung has gone the route of completely just trying to be Apple now. I have lost all respect for them and wish the would take their phones and horrible Touchwiz skin to that Tizen OS and just leave Android behind all together.

nair.sidhant

Reaction score
Not too sure how I feel about the non-removable battery. I've always felt that to be a highlight of owning a Samsung. But, this phone is slowly creeping up to the aesthetics of the iPhone 4. Why?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
We have to remember these are all still "rumors". Obviously the glass back has already been debunked and linked to a completely different device.

S5 tap'n