Samsung Galaxy S Series supports microUSB to HDMI, cable to be available soon

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
23u37f5.jpg

Many were disappointed when the Galaxy S Series was announced, and there was no Video-Out option. Then the news slowly trickled out that the Galaxy S supports Video-Out via its 3.5mm headphone jack (as also seen with the Droid Incredible and Droid Eris). But complaints about poor quality and aspect ratio issues have really caused many consumers to want more out of their high-end device. Well, today Samsung leaked the news that the Galaxy S line fully supports HDMI through its microUSB port. That means for you Vibrant and Captivate owners, and those considering the Epic 4G and Fascinate, will soon have the ability to play high definition video via a microUSB-to-HDMI cable. Although the special cable is not available yet, Samsung promises it is coming soon.

Check out the Samsung official accessory site here. And the official FAQs have been updated: Captivate FAQ or Vibrant FAQ.

So, anyone excited about this upcoming feature? Let us know.

source: BriefMobile

azazin

Reaction score
Can't wait to play android games on the big screen, I wonder if it upscales to 1080p.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Android games on a big screen haha. Like what, paper plane!

I wish the droid would have gotten this built in. It's not that great of a finction with current android phones only because they need to be faster but it would be nice to watch a little DivX right from the phone, or a flash South Park episode. Still though, if this phone gets HDMI-OUT from the usb doesn't that mean it cannot be charging while hooked? Thats a big downer. Battery drain...

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm....What will that do to data usage when people hook up a 21" LCD for better viewing and a bluetooth keyboard to surf the web in luxury? NOT tethering....

azazin

Reaction score
Can't wait to play android games on the big screen, I wonder if it upscales to 1080p.

don't get too greedy, now :)

haha ;D, the SGS is a beast :icon_ banana:.

I wish the droid would have gotten this built in. It's not that great of a finction with current android phones only because they need to be faster but it would be nice to watch a little DivX right from the phone, or a flash South Park episode. Still though, if this phone gets HDMI-OUT from the usb doesn't that mean it cannot be charging while hooked? Thats a big downer. Battery drain...

If you look closely at the picture, theres an built in micro usb port in the cable so you can charge it :)

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

as you can see from the photo, there is a side-port coming out of the HDMI end, where you can plug in another microUSB cable for charging.

cheers :)

edit: i'm late to that one, nice catch azazin!

Last edited:

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
azazin - Ohhhh I see that now. Genius! Haha.

azazin

Reaction score
@wuyanks haha no problem :p

@icculusX Yeah, I only noticed it a little while ago too lol :D

ChugIt

Reaction score
This may be my next phone after seeing this. Dock it in the Tahoe for the kids to their monitors on trips. Very awesome possibilities!