Samsung Galaxy S III Requires New Proprietary MHL-HDMI Adapter

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;mCT1WIlbyes]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mCT1WIlbyes[/video]​

It seems that not everything about the new Samsung Galaxy S III is 100% rosy. The new superphone requires a new proprietary MHL-HDMI Adapter, instead of the one that was used on the SGS2 and the SGS. The online retailer called Clove noticed the new connector and created a video for it, which we included above. Oh well... I guess we can call that the phone's "Persian Flaw."

Source: S3Forums via SlashGear

tc1

Reaction score
Is that the same one as on the rezound?

ExodusC

Reaction score
Not a big deal to me, or likely most customers, as I would imagine only a small proportion of users actually utilize HDMI output.

However, it's a nice feature to have, so buying a proprietary (and probably expensive) adapter will suck.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
They're copying Apple with the requirement for BS proprietary parts. Apple should sue them for this.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Only took three posts before Apple was mentioned. Nice! :D

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
honestly though why not just include a micro HDMI port? that's one thing about moto that I do like... no adapter needed... just a cable and you're good to go.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
They're copying Apple with the requirement for BS proprietary parts. Apple should sue them for this.

Lol, NOoooooooooooooo. Don't go rooting apple on for lawsuits.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
It actually is a huge deal, in doing this Samsung is ensuring the cheap razors expensive blades methodology but in today's expensive razors expensive blades way.

More money at our expense.

kennykid

Reaction score
It actually is a huge deal, in doing this Samsung is ensuring the cheap razors expensive blades methodology but in today's expensive razors expensive blades way.

More money at our expense.

umm.... what?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
honestly though why not just include a micro HDMI port? that's one thing about moto that I do like... no adapter needed... just a cable and you're good to go.

You have to pay royalty fees for HDMI.

My guess is that cell phone companies are doing what Microsoft did to the Original XBOX. Instead of including the ability to play DVDs out of the box (or in this case having an HDMI output on the phone), they make an add on that would include the royalty fee.

That way, you don't pay more on the device, instead that fee goes into an add on.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
+1

I have no idea what dude is trying to say.

Look no further than Apple to understand what I'm saying. Proprietary plug on iProducts with a boat load of overpriced accessories, this is similar.

Why not add proprietary connectors on Samsung products, this ensures Samsung has the initial sole ability to set the price on the accessories being plugged into their devices.

Dude is trying to say this sucks.

tc1

Reaction score
I got the impression from the video that it ONLY works with samsung's mhl adapter and not other brands of mhl to hdmi adapters.

This was due to a different pin alignment, which is B. S. If it's true.

Detonation

Reaction score

MHL is a little bit different technology than HDMI: Mobile High-definition Link - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (see features). Plus it was designed to work on any port type which is why the micro usb port doubles as an MHL connection, versus having to have separate micro usb and hdmi ports

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I may not like needing the special adapter, but I do like having just one plug for both. My DroidX has a mini hdmi connector that I have never used and have always been worried of it somehow breaking and stopping my phone fromw orking.