1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Samsung Flexible Displays May Come as Early as 2012

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 28, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Although back in June, Samsung indicated its intention to eventually come out with Flexible displays for smartphones and tablets, it seems their time-table is more accelerated that first thought. The company plans to release their first flexible smartphone or tablet product sometime next year. Initially, the flexible displays will likely come in some type of clam-shell designed product, but other than that speculation, Samsung has not released any specific product applications.

What kind of device applications can you see this benefiting?

Source: Android.net via SlashGear
  2. GrillMouster

GrillMouster New Member

And people thought the Nexus screen was curved.
    They can now make a Nexus S that's actually shaped like an "S".
  3. screaminz2002

screaminz2002 New Member

I am wondering if the same technology went into the Nexus.
  4. NoBloatware

NoBloatware New Member

Let me know when I can fold it up.
  5. GrillMouster

GrillMouster New Member

In the teardown of the Nexus S, it was shown that the actual LCD unit was flat, like any normal slab phone. The glass front was made slightly thicker on the top and bottom to make the front of the glass feel curved. The same is expected of the Galaxy Nexus. In some of the Samsung literature it's carefully worded as a curved glass screen.
  6. comk4ver

comk4ver Member

some of the applications for this could to reduce glare on the screens without a glare reducer. Also, a smart app developer could come up with a nifty ping pong app to take advantage of this type of screen. I think the accessories have more possibilities actually e.g. an actual key chain/belt attachment, or to use it as a fishing gps it'd be funny to flick the screen into a fishing pool position and then have it locate fish that way lol
  7. doublea500

doublea500 New Member

whats the point of this. seems like its alot of money going into something more cool then useful.
  8. Chizzele

Chizzele Team Sourcery Developer

I could see this fitting perfectly in some hot chicks back pockets :icon_ lala:
  9. hayjude99

hayjude99 New Member

It could make a really snazzy watch. And eventually, if you can actually bend the thing yourself, your phone could BE your watch when you're not using it. Wouldn't work for me because I'm ALWAYS using my phone xD
  10. jedihep

jedihep New Member

This is perfectly suited to integrate smartphones or their associated devices with braclets, watches, rings, and custom items like a clam shell purse. The day of integrated tech wearable accessories is coming of age, the next will integrate it into apparel once flexible sheet screen tech hits the marketplace. How about a tablet that you can retract into a roll tube when not in use or a simple sheet that is your book, newspaper, or magazine.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  11. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable New Member

Imagine a vehicle with screens of this sort covering its body; Dynamic Advertising anyone?