Samsung Flexible Displays May Come as Early as 2012

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung_flexible_amoled-1.jpg

Although back in June, Samsung indicated its intention to eventually come out with Flexible displays for smartphones and tablets, it seems their time-table is more accelerated that first thought. The company plans to release their first flexible smartphone or tablet product sometime next year. Initially, the flexible displays will likely come in some type of clam-shell designed product, but other than that speculation, Samsung has not released any specific product applications.

What kind of device applications can you see this benefiting?

Source: Android.net via SlashGear

GrillMouster

Reaction score
And people thought the Nexus screen was curved.
They can now make a Nexus S that's actually shaped like an "S".

GrillMouster

Reaction score
I am wondering if the same technology went into the Nexus.
In the teardown of the Nexus S, it was shown that the actual LCD unit was flat, like any normal slab phone. The glass front was made slightly thicker on the top and bottom to make the front of the glass feel curved. The same is expected of the Galaxy Nexus. In some of the Samsung literature it's carefully worded as a curved glass screen.

comk4ver

Reaction score
some of the applications for this could to reduce glare on the screens without a glare reducer. Also, a smart app developer could come up with a nifty ping pong app to take advantage of this type of screen. I think the accessories have more possibilities actually e.g. an actual key chain/belt attachment, or to use it as a fishing gps it'd be funny to flick the screen into a fishing pool position and then have it locate fish that way lol

doublea500

Reaction score
whats the point of this. seems like its alot of money going into something more cool then useful.

hayjude99

Reaction score
It could make a really snazzy watch. And eventually, if you can actually bend the thing yourself, your phone could BE your watch when you're not using it. Wouldn't work for me because I'm ALWAYS using my phone xD

jedihep

Reaction score
This is perfectly suited to integrate smartphones or their associated devices with braclets, watches, rings, and custom items like a clam shell purse. The day of integrated tech wearable accessories is coming of age, the next will integrate it into apparel once flexible sheet screen tech hits the marketplace. How about a tablet that you can retract into a roll tube when not in use or a simple sheet that is your book, newspaper, or magazine.

Last edited:

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Imagine a vehicle with screens of this sort covering its body; Dynamic Advertising anyone?