cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
flexscreen.jpeg
flexscreen2.jpeg

Samsung has confirmed that they plan to kick-start mass production of flexible displays in late 2012 for 2013 devices. Future Android devices from Samsung could take on the shape of a book or an even more radical cylindrical shape. Taking a look at the graphic above the patent looks to also include a pull-out flexible display. We don't need to point it out to that this technology is going to blow the door wide open for Samsung's innovation in 2013. The flexible display will display properties of thinness, lightness, impact resistance as well as flexibility (duh!), which will result in an infinite amount of possibilities for smartphones, tablets and televisions. This is a game changer folks, and we cannot wait to see Sammy's 2013 product that features this technology.

Samsung Tablet with a 7" screen that pulls out to a viewable 12" screen anyone? How about a full touch smartphone that folds up into a nice little package?

Source: Patentbolt

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sammy's about to make some money. Time to go ahead and invest.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
i hope Apple tries to use it without licensing and gets sued to hell! Ya, I'm bitter today.

I assume flexible screens would be shatter & scratch resistant. You could have a field day making commercial after commercial comparing a naked new Sammie phone vs. an IPhone with a bulky protective case.

It is a game changer. But it's yet to be seen if they can truly bring this to market in 2013 at an affordable (and profitable) price. We saw prototypes of flexible screens 3-4 years ago, so maybe 2013 is a possibility. They say 2013, probably thinking late late 2013, and probably means more like late 2014/early 2015.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
I've always found it an interesting paradox even with laptops that consumers want smaller, more compact, and more portable devices yet at the same time they want a large (super-sized) screen to go with it... :blink: It seems to me that Samsung is on the right path with flexible displays because they can make devices wear the display size adapts to the situation. A quick text message needs a small screen but sharing a youtube video or watching a movie with your friends needs a larger screen. Thus with a flexible screen the device can detect how far out you've pulled the screen and then adjust the OS to scale to that screen size. :biggrin:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Haha when I read about this a while back I thought it was just a concept thing, but that's pretty awesome. I don't know about 2013 though, seems like it would be too soon, but not complaining if that holds up.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Haha when I read about this a while back I thought it was just a concept thing, but that's pretty awesome. I don't know about 2013 though, seems like it would be too soon, but not complaining if that holds up.

Does a thin, rectangular object with rounded corners and no bezel still violate Apple's patents, with or without a button? :biggrin:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does a thin, rectangular object with rounded corners and no bezel still violate Apple's patents, with or without a button? :biggrin:

Haha the only people who can answer that are the apple brass...somehow i don't think even they're that bold!

alboboy10

Reaction score
[video=youtube;kJEHp15Hoo0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJEHp15Hoo0&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Love it. Nexus. This screen. Monster battery.

My future phone.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
First thought actually seeing it working: awesome.

Second though as per others: what up, Apple? Mayhaps you jumped stupid when waging war on Samsung? Time will tell.

Logan3824

Reaction score
This is the future and Apple will be stuck behind with their same lame iOS on their nice but easily breakable screen. "Hey bro, your phones ringing"..."Oh thanks dude, let me just ROLL it out and answer it." awwww yeaaaaaaaaaaa:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
A pull down TV, just like a projector screen!

Wow, yeah, that idea completely slipped my mind. That's pretty huge, as well. And notice how thin those screens are? Probably so light wouldn't have to even anchor it, just screw it all the way into the drywall. And Sammie makes some great tv's, as well.

2013 would be about the time I'm in a market for a new tv...But prices probably out of reach for at least a few years.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow, yeah, that idea completely slipped my mind. That's pretty huge, as well. And notice how thin those screens are? Probably so light wouldn't have to even anchor it, just screw it all the way into the drywall. And Sammie makes some great tv's, as well.

2013 would be about the time I'm in a market for a new tv...But prices probably out of reach for at least a few years.

Good point on price. This is about as revolutionary as we've seen in screen tech in a long time so the initial pricepoint will definitely reflect that.