Samsung Working Toward Bezel-Free Tech with Flexible Displays as Early as 2012

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly...wondered the same myself. It's already hard enough to hand my phone to my wife to show her something without her hitting the screen or a button on my Nexus....
Yeah, for people who are less touch screen savvy, this might be a problem.

Well, I can put my phone to my face while on a phone call and not push any buttons; it detects that and disables the touch interface. I imagine they could do something similar to that.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
Yes but that's because there is an infrared beam sent out and if it bounces back, it knows your face is close to/against the phone. You can't really do that for something on the side of the phone.

Have something cover the buttons that you need to slide up to see/use the icons, similar to unlocking the phone in some cases. However they do it, it won't be too hard to figure something out.
So it would cover the screen but not cover it at the same time?

Don't hold the phone wrong.....Duuuuuuhhhhhhh!!!!!
:iphone:

Yeah, I'm sure they could figure it out. You'd also have the ability to set the buttons/locations in a way that works for you. Also, a sliding action rather than pressing action would probably fix a bunch of accidental/unintentional clicks. Only talking a few buttons in most cases, and they could also be on one or both sides of the phone.
Are you suggesting an on screen sliding button rather than a physical button? If so, then I think an on screen slide to unlock on the side would probably work pretty well but then it sort of begs the question of what are you putting on the side screen that you need a slide to unlock?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Are you suggesting an on screen sliding button rather than a physical button? If so, then I think an on screen slide to unlock on the side would probably work pretty well but then it sort of begs the question of what are you putting on the side screen that you need a slide to unlock?

Not slide to unlock, basically a multi-touch action where you press and slide, more like drag-n-drop or pinch-to-zoom sort of thing. Or it's just set-up so that the first click does nothing. It's not some hugely difficult problem to solve, I'm sure.

npro1464

Reaction score
Why would I want display on the side of my phone? The phone would be a scratch machine because it'd be virtually impossible to put a case on it.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Doesn't sound to complicated. I just see too many flaws in my head right now of trying to utilize all of the screen without accidentally messing with something while you hold the phone.

JRParsons

Reaction score
Why stop at the sides, front, sides and BACK, just thinking outside the box. I have no idea why it would be needed. All physical buttons, lenses, and imputs/outputs on the top and bottom.
Ask yourself, is it quicker to switch apps/tasks or flip the phone over?
All right I'm ready for the verbal beating on why this is a stupid idea.

Sent from my Illudium PU - 36 Explosive Space Modulator.