Samsung Working Toward Bezel-Free Tech with Flexible Displays as Early as 2012

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Mar 5, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Samsung may be eliminating bezels on their smartphones as early as this year. A new report from Richard Windsor, a senior technology analyst at Normura Group, indicates that Samsung is striving to eliminate bezels in 2012 by bringing flexible displays to market sooner than expected. Supposedly, this new flexible tech will allow them to fold/wrap the screen around the sides of the phone and the material would be an unbreakable plastic substrate.

[​IMG]

Here is a quote from Mr. Windsor,

This is interesting from multiple angles. Of course, the obvious is that it is pretty cool tech to be bringing to market, and could be a remarkable leap forward in technology. The second, is that this will put additional pressure on Apple, because now, Samsung will truly have some fairly disruptive new tech before Apple does. It seems like 2012 is going to be an exciting year for tech-heads!

Source: AndroidPolice
  2. Arkbird

Arkbird DF News Team Premium Member

Okay Samsung, you have my attention. Get this going and it could be really interesting. Larger screens with the same sized phones we're using right now.
  3. geoff5093

geoff5093 New Member

I remember talks years ago about roll up screens too. I'll be excited when I see an actual device they plan on releasing with this tech.
  4. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

I'd like to see the actual application of the screens before I make my judgement on it. Sounds cool, but not sure how useful it will be, then again, thats why I'm not an engineer. I don't see the usefulness of it at this time.
  5. LaurelRaven

LaurelRaven New Member

I can see this being very useful.

If they make this work, I might actually get interested in their phones again.

Then again, they will still have Touch Wiz...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  6. bazar6

bazar6 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

They better patent it worldwide before Apple swoops in and sues em... This definitely has my attention tho, not sure how I feel about flexible phones, but bezel-less is definitely something I look forward to.
  7. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

unbreakable plastic substrate -

This is the part I like the sound of!
  8. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

Seriously. A phone that looks like a sheet of glass with the dimensions of the SGSII. The usable screen running to the very edge of the glass on all sides accept for a very thin area at the top and bottom for the earpiece and microphone. The back is either ceramic or carbon fiber. No signs of plastic. Around the outside of the phone, only a thin band of chrome running around the sides. One physical button for power and one well hidden rocker for volume, NO home button.

If you need covers for your phone no need to apply. This phone is meant to be naked.

Ohh. Ohh... Ahhhhhh!

*splork!*
  9. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

No need for a cover would be a huge selling point. People could finally enjoy the thinness of a phone, which allows for bigger phones (sans bulky case) and screens with edge-to-edge.

Also interesting looking at that photo. Software would be able to place buttons on the side - you could have a side "app dock". LOTS of possibilities there, like changing that dock for call controls when your phone rings, or advanced controls when playing music or taking photos. Whole bunches of possibilities I'd never thought of.
  10. Arkbird

But how would you hold the phone without accidentally hitting a button on the side of the screen? Just a thought.
  11. Redflea

Redflea New Member

Exactly...wondered the same myself. It's already hard enough to hand my phone to my wife to show her something without her hitting the screen or a button on my Nexus....
  12. LaurelRaven

LaurelRaven New Member

Well, I can put my phone to my face while on a phone call and not push any buttons; it detects that and disables the touch interface. I imagine they could do something similar to that.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  13. JoeeDB

JoeeDB Member

Have something cover the buttons that you need to slide up to see/use the icons, similar to unlocking the phone in some cases. However they do it, it won't be too hard to figure something out.
  14. kodiak799

Don't hold the phone wrong.....Duuuuuuhhhhhhh!!!!!
  15. kodiak799

Yeah, I'm sure they could figure it out. You'd also have the ability to set the buttons/locations in a way that works for you. Also, a sliding action rather than pressing action would probably fix a bunch of accidental/unintentional clicks. Only talking a few buttons in most cases, and they could also be on one or both sides of the phone.
  16. Arkbird

Yeah, for people who are less touch screen savvy, this might be a problem.

Yes but that's because there is an infrared beam sent out and if it bounces back, it knows your face is close to/against the phone. You can't really do that for something on the side of the phone.

So it would cover the screen but not cover it at the same time?

:iphone:

Are you suggesting an on screen sliding button rather than a physical button? If so, then I think an on screen slide to unlock on the side would probably work pretty well but then it sort of begs the question of what are you putting on the side screen that you need a slide to unlock?
  17. kodiak799

Not slide to unlock, basically a multi-touch action where you press and slide, more like drag-n-drop or pinch-to-zoom sort of thing. Or it's just set-up so that the first click does nothing. It's not some hugely difficult problem to solve, I'm sure.
  18. npro1464

npro1464 Member

Why would I want display on the side of my phone? The phone would be a scratch machine because it'd be virtually impossible to put a case on it.
  19. Arkbird

Doesn't sound to complicated. I just see too many flaws in my head right now of trying to utilize all of the screen without accidentally messing with something while you hold the phone.
  20. JRParsons

JRParsons Member

Why stop at the sides, front, sides and BACK, just thinking outside the box. I have no idea why it would be needed. All physical buttons, lenses, and imputs/outputs on the top and bottom.
    Ask yourself, is it quicker to switch apps/tasks or flip the phone over?
    All right I'm ready for the verbal beating on why this is a stupid idea.

Sent from my Illudium PU - 36 Explosive Space Modulator.
Search tags for this page
bezel-free
bezzlefree tablet
rezound bezel
samsung bezel free ips monitors

samsung bezel free phone

samsung bezel phone