Samsung Working Toward Bezel-Free Tech with Flexible Displays as Early as 2012

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
bezel-free-folded-samsung-smartphone-mockup.png

Samsung may be eliminating bezels on their smartphones as early as this year. A new report from Richard Windsor, a senior technology analyst at Normura Group, indicates that Samsung is striving to eliminate bezels in 2012 by bringing flexible displays to market sooner than expected. Supposedly, this new flexible tech will allow them to fold/wrap the screen around the sides of the phone and the material would be an unbreakable plastic substrate.

seamlessfoldabledisplay.jpg

Here is a quote from Mr. Windsor,

We expect Samsung to mass produce such panels for smartphones in 2012, which we believe would be more popular that the current OLED display equipped in SEC’s Galaxy S II … Plastic displays will change the perception of handsets and tablet PCs in terms of design, thickness, and weight, and this would clearly differentiate Samsung’s products from others, in our view. This is why we like Samsung.

This is interesting from multiple angles. Of course, the obvious is that it is pretty cool tech to be bringing to market, and could be a remarkable leap forward in technology. The second, is that this will put additional pressure on Apple, because now, Samsung will truly have some fairly disruptive new tech before Apple does. It seems like 2012 is going to be an exciting year for tech-heads!

Source: AndroidPolice

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Okay Samsung, you have my attention. Get this going and it could be really interesting. Larger screens with the same sized phones we're using right now.

geoff5093

Reaction score
I remember talks years ago about roll up screens too. I'll be excited when I see an actual device they plan on releasing with this tech.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'd like to see the actual application of the screens before I make my judgement on it. Sounds cool, but not sure how useful it will be, then again, thats why I'm not an engineer. I don't see the usefulness of it at this time.

LaurelRaven

Reaction score
I can see this being very useful.

If they make this work, I might actually get interested in their phones again.

Then again, they will still have Touch Wiz...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
They better patent it worldwide before Apple swoops in and sues em... This definitely has my attention tho, not sure how I feel about flexible phones, but bezel-less is definitely something I look forward to.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Seriously. A phone that looks like a sheet of glass with the dimensions of the SGSII. The usable screen running to the very edge of the glass on all sides accept for a very thin area at the top and bottom for the earpiece and microphone. The back is either ceramic or carbon fiber. No signs of plastic. Around the outside of the phone, only a thin band of chrome running around the sides. One physical button for power and one well hidden rocker for volume, NO home button.

If you need covers for your phone no need to apply. This phone is meant to be naked.

Ohh. Ohh... Ahhhhhh!

*splork!*

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
No need for a cover would be a huge selling point. People could finally enjoy the thinness of a phone, which allows for bigger phones (sans bulky case) and screens with edge-to-edge.

Also interesting looking at that photo. Software would be able to place buttons on the side - you could have a side "app dock". LOTS of possibilities there, like changing that dock for call controls when your phone rings, or advanced controls when playing music or taking photos. Whole bunches of possibilities I'd never thought of.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
No need for a cover would be a huge selling point. People could finally enjoy the thinness of a phone, which allows for bigger phones (sans bulky case) and screens with edge-to-edge.

Also interesting looking at that photo. Software would be able to place buttons on the side - you could have a side "app dock". LOTS of possibilities there, like changing that dock for call controls when your phone rings, or advanced controls when playing music or taking photos. Whole bunches of possibilities I'd never thought of.
But how would you hold the phone without accidentally hitting a button on the side of the screen? Just a thought.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
But how would you hold the phone without accidentally hitting a button on the side of the screen? Just a thought.

Exactly...wondered the same myself. It's already hard enough to hand my phone to my wife to show her something without her hitting the screen or a button on my Nexus....

LaurelRaven

Reaction score

Well, I can put my phone to my face while on a phone call and not push any buttons; it detects that and disables the touch interface. I imagine they could do something similar to that.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

JoeeDB

Reaction score
Have something cover the buttons that you need to slide up to see/use the icons, similar to unlocking the phone in some cases. However they do it, it won't be too hard to figure something out.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Have something cover the buttons that you need to slide up to see/use the icons, similar to unlocking the phone in some cases. However they do it, it won't be too hard to figure something out.

Yeah, I'm sure they could figure it out. You'd also have the ability to set the buttons/locations in a way that works for you. Also, a sliding action rather than pressing action would probably fix a bunch of accidental/unintentional clicks. Only talking a few buttons in most cases, and they could also be on one or both sides of the phone.