Samsung design VP issues response to Apple's copycat claims & more

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung_ISD_concept_phone.jpg

The above is a concept render and is not indicative of a final product.​

Samsung's vice president of design, Lee Minhyouk, recently shared his vision for the future of Samsung as well as some choice words about Apple's claims of copycat designs. Minhyouk aspires to design a smartphone that will 'Define our time'. Here is his direct quote while he spoke to Reuters:

“I’m confident that one day Samsung will make a product that defines our time, and I hope it’s one of mine.”

This is a lofty but worthy goal for a designer, and one that Minhyouk takes very seriously. He also and could potentially fulfill it. Minhyouk isn't just any designer for Samsung. He has an interesting nick-name around the Samsung offices. He is called "Midas" because he was the original designer of the Galaxy S and S II line of phones. You've probably heard of them before as they have done pretty well for Samsung... :wink-b:

Not only does Minhyouk have a dream for the future, he also commented on some of the vitriol of the past from Apple. In reference to Apple's claims that the Galaxy S line is a copy of Apple's phone he had these choice words to say,

“I’ve made thousands of sketches and hundreds of prototype products (for the Galaxy). Does that mean I was putting on a mock show for so long, pretending to be designing? As a designer, there’s an issue of dignity. (The Galaxy) is original from the beginning, and I’m the one who made it. It’s a totally different product with a different design language and different technology infused.”

Despite these statements, he obviously still admires Apple design master Jonathan Ive. Minhyouk shared,

“I might not be at (Ive’s) level yet, but I believe Samsung will produce such iconic products one day. It’s not just effort that makes it possible for a new product to be a massive hit. It also has to be timely, and technology should be ready to make a certain design a reality.”

Perhaps Samsung's time to truly shine is almost upon us with the new Galaxy S III. What do you guys think? Could the SGS3 be a device that "defines our time" for Android the way the iPhone has for Apple?

Source: Phandroid

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Sometimes I wonder if I have Aspergers. ;) I have a real hard time reading people based on text cues alone, and often rely on contorted forms of common sense to muddle my way through. This is a really good example -- I just don't understand what this means:

“I’m confident that one day Samsung will make a product that defines our time, and I hope it’s one of mine.”

*My* common sense is he's saying: Right now, most phones are clones of each other. There is a lot "incest" in the way ideas get passed around, and for the most part, nobody can lay claim to developing a unique concept. I look forward to someday designing something that is totally different and not inspired by what's already out there. But for the time being, yeah, sure, we copied Apple. And they copied us. It happens.

-Matt

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LOL. Spot on translation. Looks pretty accurate. :)

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What seems so weird to me is he's implying that current phones DO NOT reflect/define the times. In other words, they suck. I swear, artists are SO CEREBRAL.

-Matt

alboboy10

Reaction score
Artists get offended very easily when it comes to their designs. Haha

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think Sony may beat him to the punch. Some of their newer Xperias are disgustingly well-executed.

MIUI tested, mother approved.

209pcs

Reaction score
Flexible Displays?

Those flexible displays just might have something to do with that product of our time.