Apple Petulantly Publishes The UK Court Ruling Admitting Samsung Didn't Copy Them

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Crying-Baby.jpeg

Apple finally followed the UK Court's ruling forcing them to admit on their own website that Samsung didn't copy their designs, but it was basically a farce. The way they went about it was capricious and passive-aggressive. In fact, their final statement is basically a "slap in the face" to the UK court ruling. They basically confirm that the UK Court found Samsung didn't copy their designs, but then they turn around and completely refute this by pointing out their victories in Germany and the UK. Here's the full statement,

Samsung / Apple UK judgment

On 9th July 2012 the High Court of Justice of England and Wales ruled that Samsung Electronic (UK) Limited’s Galaxy Tablet Computer, namely the Galaxy Tab 10.1, Tab 8.9 and Tab 7.7 do not infringe Apple’s registered design No. 0000181607-0001. A copy of the full judgment of the High court is available on the following link Samsung Electronics (UK) Ltd v Apple Inc [2012] EWHC 1882 (Pat) (09 July 2012).

In the ruling, the judge made several important points comparing the designs of the Apple and Samsung products:

"The extreme simplicity of the Apple design is striking. Overall it has undecorated flat surfaces with a plate of glass on the front all the way out to a very thin rim and a blank back. There is a crisp edge around the rim and a combination of curves, both at the corners and the sides. The design looks like an object the informed user would want to pick up and hold. It is an understated, smooth and simple product. It is a cool design."

"The informed user's overall impression of each of the Samsung Galaxy Tablets is the following. From the front they belong to the family which includes the Apple design; but the Samsung products are very thin, almost insubstantial members of that family with unusual details on the back. They do not have the same understated and extreme simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design. They are not as cool."

That Judgment has effect throughout the European Union and was upheld by the Court of Appeal on 18 October 2012. A copy of the Court of Appeal’s judgment is available on the following link Samsung Electronics (UK) Ltd v Apple Inc [2012] EWCA Civ 1339 (18 October 2012). There is no injunction in respect of the registered design in force anywhere in Europe.

However, in a case tried in Germany regarding the same patent, the court found that Samsung engaged in unfair competition by copying the iPad design. A U.S. jury also found Samsung guilty of infringing on Apple's design and utility patents, awarding over one billion U.S. dollars in damages to Apple Inc. So while the U.K. court did not find Samsung guilty of infringement, other courts have recognized that in the course of creating its Galaxy tablet, Samsung willfully copied Apple's far more popular iPad.

It seems like Apple is behaving like a petulant child.

Source: Apple UK

vaeron

Reaction score
After reading it here I checked it out on other sites to see what people were saying about it. Apple users are still fighting saying Samsung copied, I am just looking forward to seeing what happens with Samsung's appeal now that the "rubber-band effect" patent has been overturned. I hope the USPTO decides to reverse some of the other patents that they have approved.

NeoPhoenixTE

Reaction score
Can't say none of us saw this coming.

I've seen Apple "apologize". They'll somehow sneak in there that Samsung copied them. It's like when Steve Jobs said "sorry" for the antenna problems the iPhone 4 had. It was like "Yeah, here's this problem but it's all your fault for holding it wrong".
Good point. They'll be snide and/or sarcastic about it I'm sure...
Didn't I see this on Southpark where Randy had to "APOLOGIZE" to Jess Jackson.

Not a one of us snooty bastards saw this coming at all. :p

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
^^. POeefect Sarcasm!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I was wrong. I said Apple would find a way to state the Tab sucks ,inferior,whatever, in their reply.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I was wrong. I said Apple would find a way to state the Tab sucks ,inferior,whatever, in their reply.

Support Our Troops! !!!
<><
From a Beano

Nope. You were right the first time. In one part of their statement, Apple adds, "The informed user's overall impression of each of the Samsung Galaxy Tablets is the following. From the front they belong to the family which includes the Apple design; but the Samsung products are very thin, almost insubstantial members of that family with unusual details on the back. They do not have the same understated and extreme simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design. They are not as cool."

It's subtle, but they are basically taking a jab at Sammy's tab.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
After reading it here I checked it out on other sites to see what people were saying about it. Apple users are still fighting saying Samsung copied, I am just looking forward to seeing what happens with Samsung's appeal now that the "rubber-band effect" patent has been overturned. I hope the USPTO decides to reverse some of the other patents that they have approved.
What did you expect from the iSheep? I have to admit, as much as I would love to see the Apple trolls banned, some of them are just so delusional it makes for a great laugh when I am bored.

As for Samsung copying Apple, while similar in ways, I don't believe Samsung copied Apple, unless you count blunders like apple's pattern for rounded edges. In the end, who cares what Samsung truly copied/stole. Wasn't it the late Steve Jobs who quoted Picaso as saying "Great artist steal." I don't recall exactly what Apple stole off hand, but this has to be the biggest double standard to ever grace the net. Apple can blantly admit to stealing, and the iSheep could care less. However, if some one "steals/copies" something from Apple, the company should be burnt to the ground to never return, and every penny the company has available should be turned over to Apple because they can do no wrong no matter what the late Commander in Chief says.