Safestrap 3.11 and Titanium Backup Pro

jk81033

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is any way to transfer a backup from Titanium Backup Pro to Safestrap 3.11? I am running a rooted Droid Bionic with Eclipse 1.3.

OP
J

jk81033

Reaction score
I
What's the reasoning for doing that? Just curious.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

I was just wondering if it is possible. TB Pro allows you to choose your recovery so I selected TWRP as Safestrap 3.11 uses TWRP. I am pretty sure that a backup zip file created in TB Pro can be installed in Safestrap 3.11 and used to restore phone apps, data, etc. I have been having difficulties with TB Pro restoration, possibly because when I need to restore my phone I first have to use Safestrap 3.11 recovery, which I haven't created a new in since February (I know it's stupid, I just made a new one). I then used TB Pro to restore as it contains a recent backup. This seems to create some issues (deleted apps reinstalled, etc). I like TB Pro because I upload backups to Box. I was wondering if I can move the TB Pro backup to Safestrap 3.11 because I have control over what gets backed up. Is it possible to just move a TB Pro backup file to Safestrap 3.11. I have several backups and am using a decent amount of space on my SD card (I can't delete any more backups). Anyway, I was wondering if it's possible and how to do it, or should I just use the Safestrap 3.11 backup? Like I said, I prefer TB Pro because of the control and the ability to upload to Box. Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

milski65

Reaction score
Wow. Not sure of all of that. But if I were you I'd transfer my tibu backup folder to sd-ext first and foremost. And rename the folder location in tibu so it can find your backup. You shouldn't be saving a new backup folder every time. And set filters in tibu to only user apps. No real reason to have all the other crap that normally shows. And NEVER restore system apps.

milski65

Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more I'd suggest not doing this. You are creating a whole new tibu backup every time you do this. And it's being stored on internal, which is gobbling up valuable space. Tibu can be backed up on sd-ext and free up space. You're also probably having major issues with restores due to you restoring system stuff, which will normally result in kaka.

OP
J

jk81033

Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more I'd suggest not doing this. You are creating a whole new tibu backup every time you do this. And it's being stored on internal, which is gobbling up valuable space. Tibu can be backed up on sd-ext and free up space. You're also probably having major issues with restores due to you restoring system stuff, which will normally result in kaka.

Thanks for the info. My TB backups are already stored on my external sd card. I can delete the old one (I forgot to create a new folder when I did my second backup and it seems to have combined it with the first one, they are in the same folder). Only one other backup in TB. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to backup system apps-data. Will everything restore correctly without system apps-data? My other backups are in Safestrap and I can't delete any of them as they contain stock backups from before I rooted and one for my current ROM. I will have to redo my current Safestrap backup as I think I backed up everything. If I restore from Safestrap do I still need to restore from TB also? Sorry for all the stupid questions but I'm still kind of new at this. Thanks again for your help!

P.S. Why exactly aren't you supposed to backup or restore system apps-data?

milski65

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. My TB backups are already stored on my external sd card. I can delete the old one (I forgot to create a new folder when I did my second backup and it seems to have combined it with the first one, they are in the same folder). Only one other backup in TB. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to backup system apps-data. Will everything restore correctly without system apps-data? My other backups are in Safestrap and I can't delete any of them as they contain stock backups from before I rooted and one for my current ROM. I will have to redo my current Safestrap backup as I think I backed up everything. If I restore from Safestrap do I still need to restore from TB also? Sorry for all the stupid questions but I'm still kind of new at this. Thanks again for your help!

You're welcome, and ask away. We're all here to help each other. I may be off on this, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but with tibu every time you back up it just overwrites previous back up. With twrp, which I run on my touchpad, I THINK you create a new file every time you run a back up through it. I could be wrong with tibu, but I know that's how it works with a system back up. You don't create a new folder for tibu every time you run a back up, just run it and it replaces old back up, saving space. I have 3 different roms running on my phone, and if I wanted to delete all and reflash from scratch, I could restore my tibu back up, which is just user apps on sd-ext, and be fine. System apps will take care of themselves. You should not have to restore tibu back up after restoring SS back up, but it seems you have backed up system stuff as well.

I've never backed up from SS before besides when I installed it and did it for my unsafe side/stock rom. I've never had issues doing this, but some may say it's a good idea. I honestly don't know. I know it's not necessary for me. You are pluralizing backups, which makes me think you have many. I have none on my phone except stock, and latest back up on my TP. I delete all others.

Oops. Forgot about system question. Just no reason to. You can pollute one rom when restoring system stuff from another. I;m sure someone can be more technical with the answer, but I wouldn't want my system stuff from a ICS rom restoring to a JB rom, which you're doing (or one jb rom to another). Even if you stay on same rom forever, every change made to it, update sent, you flash, and restore previous crap may hay negative affect.

OP
J

jk81033

Reaction score
C

You're welcome, and ask away. We're all here to help each other. I may be off on this, and someone this me if I'm wrong, but with tibu every time you back up it just overwrites previous back up. With twrp, which I run on my touchpad, I THINK you create a new file every time you run a back up through it. I could be wrong with tibu, but I know that's how it works with a system back up. You don't create a new folder for tibu every time you run a back up, just run it and it replaces old back up, saving space. I have 3 different roms running on my phone, and if I wanted to delete all and reflash from scratch, I could restore my tibu uback up, which is just user apps on sd-ext, and be fine. System apps will take care of themselves. You should not have to restore tibu back up after restoring SS back up, but it seems you have backed up system stuff as well.

I've never backed up from SS before besides when I installed it and did it for my unsafe side/stock rom. I've never had issues doing this, but some may say it's a good idea. I honestly don't know. I know it's not necessary for me. You are pluralizing backups, which makes me think you have many. I have none on my phone except stock, and latest back up on my TP. I delete all others.

Oops. Forgot about system question. Just no reason to. You can pollute one rom when restoring system stuff from another. I;m sure someone can be more technical with the answer, but I wouldn't want my system stuff from a ICS rom restoring to a JB rom, which you're doing (or one jb rom to another). Even if you stay on same rom forever, every change made to it, update sent, you flash, and restore previous crap may hay negative affect.

I've been on the same ics rom for a while now. I also installed my rom on the stock side on accident because I didn't really know what I was doing and didn't slow down and think about it for a minute, I just dove right in like an idiot. I don't know if any of this makes a difference but I thought I'd mention it. Do you think I should install my rom on one of the rom slots? I take it the 4 rom slots are the safe side and the stock rom slot is the unsafe side? What is the difference between the safe and unsafe sides? Sorry to keep bugging you but I don't know anyone to ask. I really appreciate the help. Thanks.

milski65

Reaction score
Safestrap | Hash-of-Codes

Check this site out. It can give you some explanations/answers to your questions. Yes, slots 1-4 are for roms. You can put your ics rom in any one of them, but if you want to try jb roms, they need SPECIFIC slots. cm10.1.0 needs slot 1, AOKP needs slot 2, and liquid needs slot 3. So I'd put your rom in slot 4.

helron

Reaction score
I am currently running:
Safestrap Slot 1/CM10.2
Safestrap Stock/JellyBean

Does TibuPro back up only apps in active slot? I kinda think so, but just want to confirm.
If so, then I think ot's best to create 2 separate backup folders (one for Stock and one for CM10. Rom). Am I correct.
Also, I created a nandroid B/U via Safestrap's TWRP on both sides, because I wasn't sure if it backups up entire phone or just active slot..Are u laughing:) Every post I read says SS backup - backs up entire phone, but I wasn't too sure of how to interpret that.

This NOOB thanks ya and needs your help:)