S4 Keyboard Questions & Concerns

DevonM

Reaction score
I remember hearing a while back that the S4 was going to come with SwiftKey as standard, though it appears that it's actually a proprietary hybrid of sorts. This is great because of the number row, but terrible because of the fact that I can't seem to customize it in any way at all.
I use the "flow" method to type because going from a physical keyboard to the touch screen doesn't work well enough for me, but the problem is that it doesn't seem to be learning the words I use. I did the trial of SwiftKey on my old phone and it seemed to pick up on usage and let me add words, but it's not doing that on my S4. I try to use swears and stuff and it just won't have it. This is terribly unacceptable...
Also, I can't set the "voice, etc." button to have a different standard function, like a comma which I really wish was there.
Does anyone know if there's a way to add the dedicated number line on top of SwiftKey? I would probably just buy the full version of that if that's an option, and then I could get rid of the ugly ass apple style theme on this samsung version while I'm at it.

This is kind of a crap situation. Any suggestions?

jseah

Reaction score
Yes, the Samsung keyboard is SwiftKey, but it isn't SwiftKey (if that makes any sense). The Samsung keyboard doesn't seem to remember words that you use, while SwiftKey does. This is why I have gone back to using SwiftKey.

Skate

Reaction score
I don't think there's a way to add a number row to the SwiftKey keyboard at this time, but in my opinion at least, it's more worth it to use SwiftKey over Samsung's keyboard, or even Swype. It all comes down to preference, though.

IdaMonster

Reaction score
I like how the Samsung's keyboard is designed. The button placement with the keypad on the top row seemed to be extremely convenient for me. Hoooowever, I am a sloppy typer and made error after error due to it not learning my typing style or my unique language (I make up a lot of words). I went back to (the actual) SwiftKey and have not had any issues since. It's also nice to have my keyboard match my theme.

BLeClair12

Reaction score
I, too, really love the number row at the top of Samsung's keyboard, and I like the responsiveness of tapping each letter, but, it's lack of a full blown auto-correct really puts a damper on things. If I misspell a word by one letter, I expect the phone to correct it automatically. I noticed my texting speed had slowed down considerably yesterday, my first full day with the phone.

Last night, I downloaded the 30 day trial of SwiftKey and thus far, I love it. I love the ability of switching between typing and swyping on the fly (with much more precision and accuracy than Swype itself), and, after linking all of my accounts to it, it has already begun to learn my language very quickly. I have a feeling I'll be paying for the full version in a few weeks.

I echo the wish that there be an option to have a number row on top, though. Again, that's the one thing I really loved about the Samsung keyboard.

jseah

Reaction score
What I've noticed is that with the Samsung keyboard, it "recommends" the correct spelling (if it is a common word you have misspelled), but it does not automatically fix it for you like SwiftKey does. You have to manually click on the word to allow the Samsung keyboard to replace it. I have also noticed that the Samsung keyboard supports more languages than SwiftKey does. For Asian languages, SwiftKey only supports Korean, while the Samsung keyboard supports Korean as well as Japanese and 4 different versions of Chinese.

BLeClair12

Reaction score
What I've noticed is that with the Samsung keyboard, it "recommends" the correct spelling (if it is a common word you have misspelled), but it does not automatically fix it for you like SwiftKey does. You have to manually click on the word to allow the Samsung keyboard to replace it. I have also noticed that the Samsung keyboard supports more languages than SwiftKey does. For Asian languages, SwiftKey only supports Korean, while the Samsung keyboard supports Korean as well as Japanese and 4 different versions of Chinese.

Yep, and I think that's the root of my issue with it. I'm used to a Motorola keyboard, which, while far from perfect, will almost always properly correct a word that I misspelled by a letter or two. With the Samsung keyboard, I have to first recognize that I made the error, hopefully before I begin my next word, and then break my string of typing to move up and correct it. I find that it slows me down considerably.

OP
D

DevonM

Reaction score
So I guess the question is how do we petition SwiftKey to allow some more customization options including a number row and even total personalized layouts, and have them release the update in a timely manner?

joemontana

Reaction score
I would use Swiftkey in a New York minute if it had the dedicated number row!
So I guess the question is how do we petition SwiftKey to allow some more customization options including a number row and even total personalized layouts, and have them release the update in a timely manner?

Gremlin

Reaction score
I have been using Swype+Dragon and have no problems at all