[Rumor] X Phone May Be Late; CFO states next device won’t 'wow by Goole's standards'

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Then the question becomes "Who will buy it"? I guess I don't get where it's so hard to release a product that has the top of line hardware and software and make a lot of money while doing it, is such a hard concept? Give the people what they want and reap the rewards. I know if I had the capabilities of Google, I would. How many times will we now hear "I guess I'll look at the S4"?

Because the phone would cost $1000.

And then who would buy it?

-It takes months to develop a phone and test it.

-The technology you started with is now out of date.

-Or you can reduce that cost by hiring more developers and testers but that costs money.

-And then you have to wait for manufacturers to finish doing their current orders for the current batch of phones to get yours done.

-So all that money you spent developing the phone quickly was for naught because you can't get the device to market anyway.

-So you decide the scrap the idea and create a new phone that has all the new bells and whistles.

-Oops you just pissed off all your talented employees that worked all that overtime for a product that never came to market.

-Now they work for Apple because they won't intentionally ruin their resume.

-Now you have a subpar work force, you're low on funds and you no one remembers your company anymore because it's been 20 months since your last device.

-Congratulations you have just made the Bionic.

donzz

Reaction score
How much will the S4 cost? They just have to be competitive.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I was in the market for a phone, I would wait for the LG Optimus G Pro, great specs with nice screen size for a 1080p smartphone. But since I own the S3, I am good for another year maybe more.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

jseah

Reaction score
Based on this and the not so impressive specs of the S4, it appears HTC may make some noise this year with the ONE. HTC One now appears to be the more impressive device in the coming months between the S4, X phone and it. Only feature that could be a negative on the One is the battery, but will still likely get you through the day. It has a superior display, camera, and tons of storage despite no SD card slot.

The only problem with that is that it won't be available on Verizon. That basically excludes half of the US market. You would think that HTC would have learned their lesson with the One X.

Reaction score
Because the phone would cost $1000.

And then who would buy it?

-It takes months to develop a phone and test it.

-The technology you started with is now out of date.

-Or you can reduce that cost by hiring more developers and testers but that costs money.

-And then you have to wait for manufacturers to finish doing their current orders for the current batch of phones to get yours done.

-So all that money you spent developing the phone quickly was for naught because you can't get the device to market anyway.

-So you decide the scrap the idea and create a new phone that has all the new bells and whistles.

-Oops you just pissed off all your talented employees that worked all that overtime for a product that never came to market.

-Now they work for Apple because they won't intentionally ruin their resume.

-Now you have a subpar work force, you're low on funds and you no one remembers your company anymore because it's been 20 months since your last device.

-Congratulations you have just made the Bionic.

Going from the Bionic to Galaxy Nexus was like coming up for air after being underwater and almost drowning.

hotice

Reaction score
Does that matter?

The X-Phone still may have great build quality, 2GB of RAM, NFC, an excellent BSI camera, a MicroSD slot, a MicroHDMI port, a waterproof nano-coating, and 3300mAh battery. To me, that's a first all in one package and a big wow to me!

Maybe Google doesn't consider that a "wow" device but I sure would. Honestly I don't think Google has a great understanding of smartphone hardware. The G1 was absolutely terrible hardware. When it came out I had been using Windows Mobile at 480x640 for years and was not about to down grade to a smaller and lower-resolution display. That's just one example. While Google has gotten better they still do questionable things here and there with Nexus devices like have a huge die size (bad battery life) and poor GPU in the Nexus One, have no notification LED on the Nexus S, no MicroSD on the Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, or Nexus 4, and no LTE on the Nexus 4.

If the X-Phone is on all four major US carriers that's a big plus as well. I'm all for the X-Phone! Hopefully it will raise the bar in overall smartphone hardware.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
exactly! our wow standard might be a lot different then google's. i just need lots of storage, big battery, good reception, native android experience with timely updates, decent camera, nfc and water resistance. oh and rf360 chip inside. could care less about screen size or resolution(it all looks the same to me from two feet away), phone size, amoled vs lcd, or processor brand.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Google inherited 18 months worth of Moto development on May 22, 2012. That means that they still have 8 months of whatever was originally lined up to push out of the door.
The rf360 chip will be available on the market in 6 months which will allow them to design and build one phone that works EVERYWHERE...
Key Lime Pie is cooling off in the fridge...
They're planning a big bash for the commercial release of Glass...

My prediction is that this fall Google's going to start the leak machine... So hold on to your panties.

It's about to get REAL.

cardinal82

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Make it a Droid 5 Nexus, with a very high end camera with processing software that matches the optics, a removable battery with excellent battery life, stock unadulterated KLP, no Blur or bloatware, SD card slot, and either an unlocked or unlockable bootloader. Oh and the most ram, fastest processor, and best cellular radio's out there.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Make it a Droid 5 Nexus, with a very high end camera with processing software that matches the optics, a removable battery with excellent battery life, stock unadulterated KLP, no Blur or bloatware, SD card slot, and either an unlocked or unlockable bootloader. Oh and the most ram, fastest processor, and best cellular radio's out there.

Since we all know that Google is the boss, there will not be a removable battery or removable storage.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums