[Rumor] X Phone May Be Late; CFO states next device won’t 'wow by Goole's standards'

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Feb 28, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

We have some potentially depressing news to share today. It's possible the rumors suggesting a Google I/O launch of the Motorola X Phone could be completely wrong. According to Google's own CFO, Patrick Pichette, when Google bought Motorola, they inherited an 18 month pipeline of devices that needs to be emptied first. He specifically shared the following,

This obviously implies one of two things. Either the X Phone isn't coming at Google I/O in May, or, if the X Phone is one of these devices still in the pipeline, it will not be the game-changer that we are all hoping it will be. Although neither of these outcomes is welcome, the previous one is probably a bit more palatable. I think most of us could agree that we would rather have the mythic X Phone take a bit longer to launch, then to come out and be a half-baked and unimpressive device.

Either way, if we can take his statements at face value it looks like we have a few more devices from the 18-month pipeline to wade through before Google actually hits the market with a true Google/Motorola device.

Share your thoughts... :frown:

Source: The Verge
  2. lloydstrans

lloydstrans Well-Known Member

I'll be happy with my RAZR MAXX HD til then. Maybe.

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.
  3. Raverrevolution

Raverrevolution New Member

Come on Google!! Just release a Droid Nexus, put hardware in it that everyone will love and that works well, plop on KLP with no bloatware and watch profits soar. Just get straight to it already. Everyone wants that so then just make it!!
  4. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

I like physical storage, SD cards, etc....for that reason I have pretty low expectations for Google devices that are clearly trying to push your data through the cloud.
  5. liftedplane

liftedplane Well-Known Member

I don't understand, you bought the company... why wade through their pipeline of garbage? just release something good... seriously no need to wade through a bunch of poor devices.
  6. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like they really have no choice "this is what we bought guys lets try and make the best of it"
  7. zomnomnombie

zomnomnombie Active Member

You can't not release those devices.

-You spent a lot of money developing those devices.

-You have the employees who worked hard designing those devices. Imagine spending half a year designing something and your new boss says they're just going to trash it.
  8. summit21

summit21 New Member

Based on this and the not so impressive specs of the S4, it appears HTC may make some noise this year with the ONE. HTC One now appears to be the more impressive device in the coming months between the S4, X phone and it. Only feature that could be a negative on the One is the battery, but will still likely get you through the day. It has a superior display, camera, and tons of storage despite no SD card slot.
  9. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

That, and it takes time to develop new stuff.

And, yes, the price Google paid included a return on that existing pipeline R&D investment. They're not just going to eat that.

Also, don't forget when they bought it Google made several comments to put partners at ease that they wouldn't favor Moto or leverage it to directly compete. I think you will be disappointed if you're expecting Google to use Moto to dominate the handset market. I'd really don't expect anything more than the occasional experience device, in limited quantities, aimed at relatively small consumer segments (think that ridiculous laptop they just unveiled).
  10. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

I see the s3 continuing to sell. How many people sitting on an update will see this and s4 and just go, eh can get last years s3 that is still a good phone for a steal.
  11. 94lt1

94lt1 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

This is exactly what they said about the razr HD and HD maxx...and that the next phone would be the first "actual googlrola phone" remember that???

I do...
  12. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

i may recant my s4 critique ...I am going to have to wait for unpack to make my final opinion.

13. SpeJ3435

SpeJ3435 Member

I would rather wait and have them tell us that the device is not coming yet over what Motorola did with the Bionic. I'm still waiting for a Motorola Nexus, but don't think we will see it for at least another 2 years, especially after this statement.
  14. donzz

donzz Member

Then the question becomes "Who will buy it"? I guess I don't get where it's so hard to release a product that has the top of line hardware and software and make a lot of money while doing it, is such a hard concept? Give the people what they want and reap the rewards. I know if I had the capabilities of Google, I would. How many times will we now hear "I guess I'll look at the S4"?
  15. GoCliffGo05

GoCliffGo05 Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Rumor] X Phone May Be Late; CFO states next device won’t 'wow by Goole's standards'

Once right now... I guess I'll look to see what the S4 is all about in March... I was so excited about the X..

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
  16. zomnomnombie

zomnomnombie Active Member

Because the phone would cost $1000.

And then who would buy it?

-It takes months to develop a phone and test it.

-The technology you started with is now out of date.

-Or you can reduce that cost by hiring more developers and testers but that costs money.

-And then you have to wait for manufacturers to finish doing their current orders for the current batch of phones to get yours done.

-So all that money you spent developing the phone quickly was for naught because you can't get the device to market anyway.

-So you decide the scrap the idea and create a new phone that has all the new bells and whistles.

-Oops you just pissed off all your talented employees that worked all that overtime for a product that never came to market.

-Now they work for Apple because they won't intentionally ruin their resume.

-Now you have a subpar work force, you're low on funds and you no one remembers your company anymore because it's been 20 months since your last device.

-Congratulations you have just made the Bionic.
  17. donzz

donzz Member

How much will the S4 cost? They just have to be competitive.
  18. cybertec69

cybertec69 Well-Known Member

If I was in the market for a phone, I would wait for the LG Optimus G Pro, great specs with nice screen size for a 1080p smartphone. But since I own the S3, I am good for another year maybe more.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums
  19. jseah

jseah New Member

The only problem with that is that it won't be available on Verizon. That basically excludes half of the US market. You would think that HTC would have learned their lesson with the One X.
  20. Raverrevolution

Raverrevolution New Member

Going from the Bionic to Galaxy Nexus was like coming up for air after being underwater and almost drowning.
Search tags for this page

unknown phone

which phones rf360 may 2013#gsc.tab