New X Phone Rumor Suggests Release Has Slipped to 'August or Later'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
google-motorola_x_phone_with_nexus_logo.jpg

We have a new X Phone rumor to share with you guys today, which brings either good or bad news depending on your perspective and relative level of excitement for the device. According to unnamed sources the launch date for the new Motorola flagship device has slipped to "August or later."

This is disappointing for folks who were excited by some of the previous rumors suggesting a Google I/O or July launch of the phone. However, in some respects this coincides with a few of our previous rumors suggesting a late summer or early fall launch. There was no specific reason given for the date being pushed farther out.

For the most part, this is sad news if you were excited to see the X Phone as soon as possible. On the other hand, this could actually be good news in disguise. Most of us here at HQ are speculating the reason it was pushed back was because Google decided not to use the mysterious X Phone branding on any of the phones from the old Motorola pipeline. This allows them to focus that magical brand image on a product that really does "wow" the Google execs, and thus likely means it will be a more impressive device overall.

Sadly, the consequence of this is that we will probably not see the phone at Google I/O. Still, it seems like a worthy trade-off. What do you guys think?

Source: PhoneArena

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
As time goes by this makes total sense. If they are going to do the X Phone right, they need to do what Sammy did for the S4. It's own little party on it's own stage. Google I/O would be a mis step if they choose to reveal it there. I'm going to say this info is pretty close and the X will get it's own unveil party. My speculation is based off of the rumor that the X Phone will be a groundbreaking piece of tech/software, so if it doesn't deliver forget what I just wrote. It will be a release just like any other phone :)

Fuzzball

Reaction score
Bummer. I was hoping it'd be announced at I/O. I'm probably getting a new phone this year, I just don't know what yet. I'm interested to see what gets announced at I/O. So far what I'm guessing the SGN3 will be, I may get it if it's released before October. I'm just seeing the benefits of having a larger screen and reducing the need for a full sized tablet. Still if what's announced at I/O or the X Phone is truly groundbreaking, I may do that instead. I have a kid now and the need for a high quality and speedy camera is pretty important.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I guess if you're going to do something you need to do it right. This is a pretty important release, I can't really ding them for keeping it in the oven a little bit longer.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Here we go again!!!

Reaction score
Look another phone that will just like the bionic. Another android that might get 1 update or no update like the x2 or D3

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

52brandon

Reaction score
Bummer. I was hoping it'd be announced at I/O. I'm probably getting a new phone this year, I just don't know what yet. I'm interested to see what gets announced at I/O. So far what I'm guessing the SGN3 will be, I may get it if it's released before October. I'm just seeing the benefits of having a larger screen and reducing the need for a full sized tablet. Still if what's announced at I/O or the X Phone is truly groundbreaking, I may do that instead. I have a kid now and the need for a high quality and speedy camera is pretty important.
probably still will be. July debut with specs, demo, and release date which will be in August
At this rate they should rename it to the Bionic 2.
lmao. I thought the exact same thing

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
It will probably announce at I/O, with fantastic specs that will still be behind the curve by release. Bionic reincarnated.