[Rumor] New Motorola X Phone & Motorola Nexus Phone Details Leak

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
jelly-bean-nexus-boot.jpg

Did you sprinkle some salt on your eggs this morning? If not throw a bit on your sandwich at lunch and call it good, because you will want to include a grain or two of the stuff with today's Motorola rumors. Despite the disclaimer, we must admit to being excited about today's fresh Moto X Phone + More rumors. We will break them down for you in a quick quote just to get the ball started quickly,

1. Rumor: The target launch date for the first Motorola X Phone is July. It was slated for June, but manufacturing issues caused the launch to slip.
  2. Rumor: The X Phone will be user customizable, but the options will not be as broad as was originally reported. Customers will mostly be able to customize the design of the phone, along with internal storage and some personalized software settings. Users will be able to order their device in an endless choice of color combinations, and they can select the material of the outer casing. Choices for materials will include plastic, metal, and carbon fiber.
  3. Rumor: The specs of the first Motorola X Phone will be comparable to the HTC One, but they will not be a Galaxy S 4 or iPhone 6 killer.
  4. Rumor: The X Phone will feature a Motorola logo on the back of the device that acts as touch sensitive button that allows you to launch commands.
  5. Rumor: Motorola will still release several more Droid phones this year.
  6. Rumor: Motorola will release a Nexus phone at the end of the year. This device is not part of the “X Phone” brand.
  7. Rumor: Google Watch will be announced and sold at around the same time as the Motorola X Phone.
Now that you have digested that smorgasbord of Motorola goodness, let's discuss how this new intel lines up with previous rumors and what it could potentially mean for the market as well as what the overall picture might look like.

First, this launch timeframe seems pretty solid, although we have also heard a November time-frame. Of course, that November launch could have simply been confused with number 6 which is the Motorola Nexus device. Speaking of which, let's jump forward to number six for a second and bask in that glory a bit. Many of us have been clamoring for a Moto Nexus phone for sometime. We are certainly hoping this is true, although we aren't sure how having this new exclusive X Phone branding will work while competing with Nexus. It seems a bit counter-intuitive. Still, it could work and we wouldn't complain.

Now let's take a peek at number 2. This seems to confirm earlier reports that the X Phone line will be a specialty option of configurable devices. It puts a small damper on it in terms of total versatility of customization, but to be fair, this is actually what most of us at HQ expected to happen for the initial launch of a user customizable phone. It seemed unrealistic to start off with a completely hardware customizable handset, because it would take quite a bit of complex overhead to make that possible.

On to number three. This one makes us a bit sad, but it does line up with what Google themselves have said. Earlier they shared that the next devices coming down the pipe won't "wow" by their standards. Still, being comparable to the HTC One isn't bad at all. Marry this with the X Phone branding and Motorola's legendary quality of materials and it still looks like a star player for sure.

As for number four, well this seems like an intriguing if not altogether useful new idea. Of course, it's entirely possible that Motorola might have stumbled onto a really cool new innovation that could end up on future devices. We will have to wait and see this feature in action before we pass judgment.

With number five, this also is not surprising and jives with the previous statements from Google. They shared an 18 month pipeline of older devices still exists that they must filter through before they can get onto focusing on the bigger stuff. Who knows... maybe some of these devices will be both affordable and impressive. The Motorla Droid M was a sleeper hit for the manufacturer, so just as long as they don't spam the market with too much crap, this could be okay.

We already covered number six, but don't mind reiterating our previous point with a resounding... YAY!

Finally, the seventh rumor seems to suggest that Google plans to create an ecosystem of interconnected devices. In fact, additional intel on this subject has been coming down the pipe suggesting that Google plans to make all their devices interoperable. From Google Glass, to the X Phone & next Nexus phone, to this Google watch, we are likely to see Google's ecosystem begin to interact with each other in more meaningful and useful ways. We may even start to see the baby steps of a major convergence for all of these devices, including Google TV and Android powered smart appliances next year.

That's a quick summary of just some of what this new intel could mean. Of course, we want to hear what you guys think of all of this. Sound off in the thread your likes and dislikes about any and/or all of this.

Source: AndroidandMe

Last edited:

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
#3 isn't a let down at all... What task is the HTC One unable to perform because of it's processor? Tons of processor is good but right now processors have outpaced software by a WIDE margin. By the time this phone is old news it'll probably still be capable, and by then it's replacement will have been released.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Whispers of rumors and rumors of whispers... While it would be nice to choose the outer casing material I'd imagine the price goes up significantly. I remember testing out customization options on an alienware laptop several years ago and when I chose the most drool-worth specs the final price was in the $5k range.. way outside of my budget. Thus while users may be able to customize their X phone they'll have to consider not only what they want but what they can afford.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Only thing I'm waiting to see is if I can get a Qwerty keyboard on the thing...

A physical keyboard would be awesome. Another option I hope is available is the choice to have a removable battery instead of an embedded battery. While JellyBean brought new life to my Droid 4 I would like to have NFC which I'm sure the majority of new devices coming out will have.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Don't forget IR!!!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
#3 isn't a let down at all... What task is the HTC One unable to perform because of it's processor? Tons of processor is good but right now processors have outpaced software by a WIDE margin. By the time this phone is old news it'll probably still be capable, and by then it's replacement will have been released.

Exactly. I see some articles acting like the HTC One is a Droid Eris or something... And doesn't the US GS4 come with a Snapdragon? The US GS4 and HTC One are already on par...

npro1464

Reaction score
Definitely interested to say the least. The one thing I'd be interested is a premium, 4 inch phone.

I wonder if it'll come with an SD card slot? Also interested in seeing what a Moto Nexus would look like. Lots of goodies coming down the pipeline. Good thing I have the S3 to hold me over!

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Don't forget IR!!!

IR.. you mean Infrared? I haven't seen IRDA tech on a device since my old HP PDA. I think IRDA is a dead tech not likely to be seen in devices ever again. Logitech has a WiFi to Infrared universal remote that lets you run their poorly designed app in an attempt to use your phone as a remote for your entertainment system. There was another one that used bluetooth tech but I think it was a lot more expensive. While it would be cool to use your phone as a universal remote, unfortunately I don't expect IR to be a built-in feature.

themuttt

Reaction score
IR.. you mean Infrared? I haven't seen IRDA tech on a device since my old HP PDA. I think IRDA is a dead tech not likely to be seen in devices ever again. Logitech has a WiFi to Infrared universal remote that lets you run their poorly designed app in an attempt to use your phone as a remote for your entertainment system. There was another one that used bluetooth tech but I think it was a lot more expensive. While it would be cool to use your phone as a universal remote, unfortunately I don't expect IR to be a built-in feature.
the S4 is coming out with it. I don't know if they still do, but the real estate market used IR for their lock boxes, this makes it on the phone VERY useful.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Are people really getting excited over Moto devices still?

Well yeah... The old Motorola pipeline has been released so this is the first look at the new direction of a Google owned Motorola. If that doesn't make you curious or excited... I just don't know what would regarding Android.

GotnFX

Reaction score
Well yeah... The old Motorola pipeline has been released so this is the first look at the new direction of a Google owned Motorola.

Just out of curiosity how has the old Moto pipeline already been released. Are you suggesting the RZR HD series is the last of the of the old moto regime? I was just wondering why you say this when I read this isn't gonna be a WOW phone? Which I'd assume would be the last of the pipeline..again just my opinion. Phone does seem like its still gonna be a good phone..