[Rumor] Motorola Prepping Phablet Called Xplay & Droid Ultra Successor Called Quantum

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droid_quantum.jpg

We have some new intel out of Motorola for this morning. According to the latest report, Moto is actually prepping their own large-sized phablet device, which will be called the Xplay. Supposedly it will be sporting a 6.3-inch display at a full HD 1080p and will launch in 2014. That's not all we have though. The same "source" of this info indicated Motorola is also already working on the next progeny of the Droid Ultra. This one will be called the Droid Quantum and is scheduled for sometime in 2014 as well.

Not a single other relevant piece of information was shared on this subject, but we will keep an eye out for it now. Perhaps we will see something pop up at one of the first trade shows of next year like CES in January.

Source: TalkAndroid

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
The XPlay certainly sounds interesting. I wonder if they are going to keep the size of the device down (sub Note 3) yet pack it with that big screen. I think anything larger than the Note is bordering on ridiculousnessnessness. I'd feel pretty ridiculous (no ness's in there) talking on a Tablet err phone like that. In regards to the Droid Quantum (Ultra 2) that should definitely deliver the goods just as the Ultra did. I really like the Droid Ultra, so my opinion is bias...ok very bias....ok I'm a fanboy! :)

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I miss the show X-Play on G4TV. oh and Attack of the Show. :p

djspy

Reaction score
Ha! I called it! I should've played their game but instead I just replied to the article here :\

TheOldFart

Reaction score
The XPlay certainly sounds interesting. I wonder if they are going to keep the size of the device down (sub Note 3) yet pack it with that big screen. I think anything larger than the Note is bordering on ridiculousnessnessness. I'd feel pretty ridiculous (no ness's in there) talking on a Tablet err phone like that. In regards to the Droid Quantum (Ultra 2) that should definitely deliver the goods just as the Ultra did. I really like the Droid Ultra, so my opinion is bias...ok very bias....ok I'm a fanboy! :)

I don't see how they could possibly make it smaller than the Note 3, or even the same size, with a screen that is 0.6" larger. Perhaps if they make the screen higher, but not wider, and remove the front speaker and have on screen buttons then it could be the same size. The screen resolution would have to be something like 2180x1080, which would be the same width as the Note 3, but about 0.68" higher.

Jxpinc

Reaction score
I'd go Moto phab. And the timing will be about right if I start saving a dollar or two a day now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Brennan_Huber

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I would love a moto phablet.. But there's no way I'd get it if it were 6.3. Im thinking 5.7 is optimal for a phab. Maybe 5.9 with onscreen keys.

Tapp'd from one of my Nexus Devices

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think they've just torn the envelope that the Note 3 was taxing to the max. I'm going to have to go get my hands on a 3, but even that is more that I'm thinking I'm really going to want, so 6"+ is out of the question. Certainly these additional size variants could work if you constantly have some kind of bag on you to hold your items, but that's a bit too much for a pocket or belt clip, unless you're wearing JNCOs I suppose.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The screen on my Note2 is the same height as my Kindle Paperwhite screen height. The width is where the Kindle gets its 1/2" more screen and the bezel makes it seem much larger than the Note.
If Moto goes edge to edge (no bezel) and goes a little higher they could do the 6"+ and keep the width of the Note3 easily.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)