Rooting.

jcwilliams

Reaction score
Just got my bionic today. It was a hand me down but free. I'm coming from the og and i'm sure rooting it is a lot different so what's the best way to root? I'm not looking to flash roms. I just want to use tether and get rid of bloatware.
Thanks

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
jcwilliams

jcwilliams

Reaction score
i just tried using petes root tools and it failed on step 3 says something like abd could not be granted root access through local.prop.

anyone know how to get this to work?
thanks

OP
jcwilliams

jcwilliams

Reaction score
the link is down for that one so i found/used p3droids universal one click. i now have root. thanks!

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
awesome...great to hear...:)

OP
jcwilliams

jcwilliams

Reaction score
i do have a question though. i am coming from the droid 1 (as you mbk already know) and i used tibu to backup all my apps so i can get them back on the bionic. when i go into tibu it dont show me that i have any apps to restore...is there something i have to do first? its like the bionic isnt seeing my backups that are on my sdcard.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The Bionic has two external SDCard partitions...SDCArd and SDCard-Ext...move the TitaniumBackup folder to the SDCard partition

OP
jcwilliams

jcwilliams

Reaction score
Awesome thanks that worked too! Thanks for your help as always. You have any goodies for the bionic like you did for the Droid? I just got this bad boy yesterday and I am loving it so far.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I just returned it to complete stock.... except for a couple MetaMorphs that I applied...Ming font and Raiders pulldown. Other than that it's pretty much stock now

OP
jcwilliams

jcwilliams

Reaction score
cool cool. i think thats how i am going to run mine. what kind of recovery can i use on the bionic? can i use rom manager and install cwm or is that not available for this phone?

Concistency

Reaction score
cool cool. i think thats how i am going to run mine. what kind of recovery can i use on the bionic? can i use rom manager and install cwm or is that not available for this phone?
I recommend using Safestrap, allows you to "dualboot" two different rom's. Divided into "safe" and "unsafe" systems. The bootmenu comes up everytime you boot, so it's very safe and saves you in many cases if you flash a rom and end up in a boot loop. Here is a video: [video=youtube;Yc0r4NTRLrM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Yc0r4NTRLrM[/video]

OP
jcwilliams

jcwilliams

Reaction score
Awesome thanks for the link. I'm going to install here in a few.

Concistency

Reaction score
Awesome thanks for the link. I'm going to install here in a few.
Just be sure you don't have bootstrap and safestrap installed, you can only have one or the other. As soon as you boot into safestrap, create a backup of your current functional rom. Any backups from original bootstrap will not work with safestrap.

OP
jcwilliams

jcwilliams

Reaction score
Just be sure you don't have bootstrap and safestrap installed, you can only have one or the other. As soon as you boot into safestrap, create a backup of your current functional rom. Any backups from original bootstrap will not work with safestrap.

Yea that's what the video was saying. I don't have anything on here all I did was root and put all my apps on here. Unless the one click put a recovery on here then I shouldn't have one yet.