Getting OTA Ice Cream Sandwich on Bionic while rooted

JonnyCobra

Reaction score
Success! Updated to ICS .246!

I used this method here and used RSDLite to flash my phone using the .246 file in the links on that page. No worries at all, just took a while.

Thanks for your help though!

Edit:

I WAS NOT able to keep root throughout this update. Just wanted to make that clear to anyone reading.

Harmageddon

Reaction score
Help please!!

Im new to some of this but I catch on quick. I need help understanding a little something. Im trying to do the side load of OTA ICS but it tells me that update from SD is only available in safemode. I thougt that you had to be in unsafe to install the update as it is the main OS. Please any help would be appreciated.

erfoster

Reaction score
I have tried this twice now and am getting an error when recovery tries to apply the update from SDCard;

"assert failed: mount("ext3", "MTD", "system", "/system")
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted."

I'm getting the same error. I was rooted on stock ROM. Backed everything up via TiBu/CWM Nandroid, then used voodoo temp unroot and tried to install via recovery. I even tried a factory reset and then applying the update, but still got the same message. I hadn't deleted any bloat, only frozen, and I thawed it all before attempting. I also checked the mount_ext3 file and there's no chmod commands in it. Not really sure where to go with this, I guess SBF stock 905 and then upgrade? I'm just worried about loosing root doing things that way.

Edit: I read too fast, I'm getting a slightly different message.

Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/bin/logwrapper", "longasschecksum", "longassdifferentchecksum")
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

I think it's due to Bootstrap Recovery, and I think I found a solution:

How to remove Droid X Bootstrap through ROOT EXPLORER

Uninstall bootstrap app first
1. Click mount r/w
2. DELETE
a) system/bin/hijack
b) system/bin/logwrapper
3. RENAME
a) system/bin/logwrapper.bin
4. TO
a) system/bin/logwrapper

How to remove Droid X Bootstrap through TERMINAL EMULATOR (FREE)(instructions from Abe's post)

Uninstall bootstrap app first.

su
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cp /system/bin/logwrapper.bin /system/bin/logwrapper
Reboot

I'm going to give it a shot and post the results.

Edit again:
Well, it looked good. It got past where I was getting the error--

updating BP...
updating LTE...
Removing unneeded files from preinstall...
Patching preinstall files...
Unpacking new files in preinstall...
Symlinks and permissions in preinstall...
Removing unneeded files from vwebtop...
Unpacking new files in vwebtop...
Symlinks and permissions in vwebtop...
Removing unneeded files...
Patching system files...
assert failed: apply_patch("/system/app/PlusOne.apk", "-", checksum1, 8942820, checksum2, package_extract_file("patch/system/app/PlusOne.apk.p"))
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Edit:
Wiped cache twice, restarted, tried the update again, and it finished! Why, hello there, ICS!! :icon_ banana:

mattm312

Reaction score
I'm trying to do the OTA update on my fathers rooted Bionic...no custom rom or anything just rooted... (i didn't root the phone for him so i dunno how or what was used) i just want to remove the root completely and get the OTA update... i tried VOODOO from the playstore among others... tried Petes one click unroot and it failed at step 3... anything else i can try to do?

BTW not trying to hijack thread or anything and didnt think starting a new thread simular to this was wise...

sgtbrabant

Reaction score
mattm312 said:
I'm trying to do the OTA update on my fathers rooted Bionic...no custom rom or anything just rooted... (i didn't root the phone for him so i dunno how or what was used) i just want to remove the root completely and get the OTA update... i tried VOODOO from the playstore among others... tried Petes one click unroot and it failed at step 3... anything else i can try to do?

BTW not trying to hijack thread or anything and didnt think starting a new thread simular to this was wise...

Had same problem. had to FXZ back to stock .905 using RDS lite. You should also be able to manually update with the download available in a different thread using the same method. But i Havnt tried it.