Rooting for Droid X

hicketre2006

Reaction score
To begin with....I know what rooting is and what roms are, etc. So with that being said... Im definatly a noob in this area.

I know that rooting voids warranties and everything, and that the end user retains all liability. The problem with the forums is that you typically only see postings from users who have had problems doing this. I would just like to hear from some people that have rooted their Droid X's and have not had problems, and any tips and advice they would give to someone considering this route for DX customization. (Ergo the post in the General genre.)

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you all!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

xliderider

Reaction score
Use a trusted app like Z4 Root from xda for a problem free root.

RoOoLeR's Guide ROOT / UNROOT / BACKUP / ROM / SBF / OVERCLOCK

The instructions are in post #2 of this thread. The only thing I would do differently is to reboot the phone after the Z4 root app is installed. Also, make sure you have install apps from unknown sources checked off in Menu, Settings, Applications. Also, under Development, make sure USB Debugging is checked off.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+1

Use a trusted app like Z4 Root from xda for a problem free root.

RoOoLeR's Guide ROOT / UNROOT / BACKUP / ROM / SBF / OVERCLOCK

The instructions are in post #2 of this thread. The only thing I would do differently is to reboot the phone after the Z4 root app is installed. Also, make sure you have install apps from unknown sources checked off in Menu, Settings, Applications. Also, under Development, make sure USB Debugging is checked off.

DroidForums Junkie!!

danCBR1Krr

Reaction score
I used z4 with zero issues. I have tried a number of roms and I like both liberty and rubix. If you have to warranty your phone for some reason, you can always unroot too. I say go for it

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I have had "0" issues with my Rooted Droid X...rooted the first time with 1 Click Root, and then rerooted after getting an OTA update with z4root...also ROM`d running Liberty v1.5 and still having "0" issues at all! My advice...is taken directly from another post in a different thread, you may find some good advice in it...

"Root is not required to get "more" out of your phone, it is required to "access" more of your phone...if you follow me.

The Droid X is a powerhouse of a phone straight out of the box, and more than capable of doing everything it was designed to do. The "normal, average" user would never know that there is "more" lurking under the hood, nor would they need to know for the most part.

Gaining "root" allows you to access almost every aspect of the Operating System...and for some that is great, for others, it is a disaster in the making if they dont tread carefully...hence the volleys of "Read and then Read More"...

From a "advanced user" level, I would say the 3 most common reasons to root are:

1) Have the use of Tethering withpout having to pay Verizon additional money for a service pre-built into the phone.

2) The ability to do custom Nandroid type back-ups of the system..this comes into play with the 3rd most common reason to root...

3) Customization...the ability to make your personal device more personal...throwing a new ROM on or adding a new theme pack can change not only the aesthetics of your device, but also add to the overall performance of the device. Having the above back-up means less possibilities of catastrophic pooch-screwing..and if the CPS does occur, you can usually flash a Nandroid and be back up and running in under an hour.

In the end, I would suggest you do like what has been suggested previously...test drive your stock DX for a few weeks and then decide if you really do need to root to enjoy your phone more. If then you decide to go forward, then by all means do so..but make sure you have read and understand all that comes with it, that way you are properly prepared..."

D_meist

Reaction score
I would recommend having a few files on your sd card.

1. z4root
2. maderstcok340
3. a nandroid backup
4. DroidXBootstrap.apk

With these files you can root/unroot, install roms, and fix something if you screw up.

xliderider

Reaction score
I would recommend having a few files on your sd card.

1. z4root
2. maderstcok340
3. a nandroid backup
4. DroidXBootstrap.apk

With these files you can root/unroot, install roms, and fix something if you screw up.

Add this to the list:

com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup.apk

VSP1140

Reaction score
I rooted my X last night using z4root. I have never rooted a phone, loaded a ROM or a theme, but I did it all last night with 0 problems. Listen to the guys in this thread. Make sure to get z4root and DroidxBootStrap at the very least. Make your backup and you'll be fine. Good luck

ajb3985

Reaction score
Thinking about rooting for the sole purpose of wireless tethering. Ive done quite a bit of research but have a few questions. Rooting seems easy with z4root. I get that part. What are the advantages of putting roms like cyanogenmod over things like adwlauncher? If i do put roms on it, how difficult is it to go back to stock. Im just worried waiting for gingerbread.

bkendrick

Reaction score
The advantages of ROMs are different for each one. If your sole purpose is to customize your themes then you may be fine with a launcher like ADW. ROMs come with different tweaks and mods built in. Some run faster and produce longer battery life. If you decide to load custom ROMs do your research. It's not hard but if done incorrectly can be bad. The best advice for ROMs is to do a nandroid backup first. Its an exact image of your phone at the time you do it. You can copy this image to a computer or just keep it on your SD (I do both). It takes about two minutes to do and if you ever screw up loading a ROM you can re-load your nandroid backup which will make your phone exactly like the day you created it. When I loaded my first ROM I created a nandroid backup, downloaded an app, then restored my nandroid backup just to test and sure enough the app I downloaded was gone. You can try this yourself just to give you practice at backups and restores.

Once you got that down you can load a ROM to try for a week or so. If you have your nandroid backup you can always go back to stock!

The whole process of creating a backup takes two minutes and the same goes for restoring a previous backup.
DX. CFU. LIB 1.5.

ajb3985

Reaction score
Thanks!! If i root do i need to backup first or is it just pertaining to roms?

MysticalDreams

Reaction score
IL for now... waiting for the day we can move back
Current Phone Model
Note 8!!
I am good with computers but rooting a phone scared me for months. I read post after post and when I got the X I rooted it withing the first 48 hours. I haven't had any issues with it at all (used Z4Root) I have tried a few roms and themes with ease. Everything you need to know is explained in the {rom} post. If you do have questions about how to do something or changing something, we are here to help with that too.

bkendrick

Reaction score
You will not be able to backup until you root. Once you root download the Droid x bootstrapped and backup.

DX. CFU. LIB 1.5.

ajb3985

Reaction score
Ok. I rooted with z4root no problem. Downloaded rom manager, set cpu, n wireless tether n bootstrap recovery. Performed backup in bootstrap. Even saved a copy on my computer. I batched all my apps in rom manager. What are the best roms and how do i get them? I read that liberty and cyanogen are pretty good. I didnt see either on the free version of rom manager...would it be in the paid version?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'd 86 ROM Manager all together, its been buggy lately. You don't need it really since you have Koush's bootstrap. ROMs can be downloaded directly from here and flashed in recovery. Make sure to make a stock backup and before flashing (installing) each ROM and/or theme, etc.

Ok. I rooted with z4root no problem. Downloaded rom manager, set cpu, n wireless tether n bootstrap recovery. Performed backup in bootstrap. Even saved a copy on my computer. I batched all my apps in rom manager. What are the best roms and how do i get them? I read that liberty and cyanogen are pretty good. I didnt see either on the free version of rom manager...would it be in the paid version?

DroidForums Junkie!!