Droid X Root

fatalerror99

Reaction score
Ok guys, here goes. So I've been going back and fourth on weather I want to root or not. I know that doing so will void the warranty, but I really don't care as long as I can always go back to stock if I want. I am a newbie when it comes to rooting, so I'll take all the help I can get. Here are my main questions-

1. What's the advantage to rooting?

2. If I do root, is it easy to revert back to stock?

3. I know there are a lot of different progams for rooting like Liberty and z4root. Out of them all, which is easiest and best?

I'm still not really sure if I want to root, so all help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Using Droid X 2.2.1

pool_shark

Reaction score
I personally have no desire to try new ROMs.
I rooted to have the ability to take screenshots, use the command line, move preinstalled software to another location, and tether (not that I really use it).

The manual method I used to root my D2 didn't work on my DX, so I used z4root and it worked fine.

wake4x4ptball

Reaction score
To get free wifi tether that's all I know to do with rooted

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

turdbogls

Reaction score
Ok guys, here goes. So I've been going back and fourth on weather I want to root or not. I know that doing so will void the warranty, but I really don't care as long as I can always go back to stock if I want. I am a newbie when it comes to rooting, so I'll take all the help I can get. Here are my main questions-

the ability to overclock, remove "bloat ware", change status bar icons, flash to a blurless rom or stay with a blur rom which is faster than stock, tethering, screen shots...basically make the phone the way you want it to look/act.

flashing and SBF takes about an hour, and gets you back to completely stock, unrooted...it is not difficult, but time consuming. the easiest way to get back to stock is to Root, make a nandroid backup of the stock rooted ROM. then you can always flash back to stock and un-root if you need to.

3. I know there are a lot of different progams for rooting like Liberty and z4root. Out of them all, which is easiest and best?
first, Liberty does not root your phone, that is a popular ROM for the DX. i personally used Z4 Root as well as many others with no problems

I'm still not really sure if I want to root, so all help and advice is greatly appreciated.
FWIW, once you are rooted, you will wonder why you waited so long. i was rooted a couple days after i got my X, and that was only b/c i was reading up on rooting. to be honest, it is almost impossible to permanently brick these phones. there is always the motorola SBF, and there are a couple other ways. as long as you can get into clockwork MOD recovery you are pretty much golden.

Using Droid X 2.2.1
\
answers above

OP
F

fatalerror99

Reaction score

the ability to overclock, remove "bloat ware", change status bar icons, flash to a blurless rom or stay with a blur rom which is faster than stock, tethering, screen shots...basically make the phone the way you want it to look/act.

flashing and SBF takes about an hour, and gets you back to completely stock, unrooted...it is not difficult, but time consuming. the easiest way to get back to stock is to Root, make a nandroid backup of the stock rooted ROM. then you can always flash back to stock and un-root if you need to.

first, Liberty does not root your phone, that is a popular ROM for the DX. i personally used Z4 Root as well as many others with no problems

FWIW, once you are rooted, you will wonder why you waited so long. i was rooted a couple days after i got my X, and that was only b/c i was reading up on rooting. to be honest, it is almost impossible to permanently brick these phones. there is always the motorola SBF, and there are a couple other ways. as long as you can get into clockwork MOD recovery you are pretty much golden.

Using Droid X 2.2.1
\
answers above
Wow, thanks. Bloatware is a huge problem of mine, so thats a big plus for me. Now if I root I can change the color of the notification bar as well right?

bsbabcock

Reaction score
Those are the main two items addressed along with speed and stability in about all the DX roms. My first rom was ApeX and loved it. On Liberty now and love it. The themes and stock setups in both change all kind of stuff from main icons to notification bar to pop ups etc.. Nice part.. If you get tired of one, go to another. No biggie.

Just approach all flashing operations very deliberately after you get an understanding of the process. I've got a few commandments I follow on rom'ing..

Thall shalt make a bootstrap backup of their stock rom immediately after z4root
Thall shalt have a known good bootstrap backup (above is fine)
Thall shalt consider having an extra copy of it on pc somewhere
Thall shalt consider a titanium backup of apps they wish to quickly reinstall after flashing a rom
Thall shalt always wipe cache AND data before flashing a rom
Thall shalt always verify their OS rev (340 etc) matches the rom requirements
Thall shalt read the stickies in the DX Roms and Hacking sections and consider the Rescue Squad sections as well in the droidxforums
Thall shall not hesitate to ask if they get stuck or bootlooped
Thall shall not panic if you do bootloop, it will happen and is opportunity to learn where you messed up

By the way.. I rooted just before March 1st, first time. :) I'm a newb and a danger to everyone around me so take it with a grain of salt. LOL!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hahaha!!!! I like that! Please note that your backups are actually made in Clockwork Recovery, not Bootstrap. Had several members confused because they were looking for a "Bootstrap" folder on their SD card vs a clockwork folder for backups. "Bootstrap" is a verb, not a noun...though it is confusing. :)

Those are the main two items addressed along with speed and stability in about all the DX roms. My first rom was ApeX and loved it. On Liberty now and love it. The themes and stock setups in both change all kind of stuff from main icons to notification bar to pop ups etc.. Nice part.. If you get tired of one, go to another. No biggie.

Just approach all flashing operations very deliberately after you get an understanding of the process. I've got a few commandments I follow on rom'ing..

Thall shalt make a bootstrap backup of their stock rom immediately after z4root
Thall shalt have a known good bootstrap backup (above is fine)
Thall shalt consider having an extra copy of it on pc somewhere
Thall shalt consider a titanium backup of apps they wish to quickly reinstall after flashing a rom
Thall shalt always wipe cache AND data before flashing a rom
Thall shalt always verify their OS rev (340 etc) matches the rom requirements
Thall shalt read the stickies in the DX Roms and Hacking sections and consider the Rescue Squad sections as well in the droidxforums
Thall shall not hesitate to ask if they get stuck or bootlooped
Thall shall not panic if you do bootloop, it will happen and is opportunity to learn where you messed up

By the way.. I rooted just before March 1st, first time. :) I'm a newb and a danger to everyone around me so take it with a grain of salt. LOL!

Sent down via a Bolt of lightening!!

BoJatey

Reaction score
I'm confused also. Don’t I need the Bootstrap Recovery for DX app to flash ROM's or when you talk about clockwork recovery are you referring to something else like ROM Manager or is it just a function in the bootstrap app?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Your phone didn't come with a custom recovery (like Clockwork) so Bootstrap flashes it for you and reboots you into it. You have TO bootstrap recovery to get Clockwork on your phone. In fact, once you use Bootstrap to get into recovery (Reboot Recovery), it says "ClockworkMod Recovery" across the top. I know its misleading though.

I'm confused also. Don’t I need the Bootstrap Recovery for DX app to flash ROM's or when you talk about clockwork recovery are you referring to something else like ROM Manager or is it just a function in the bootstrap app?

Sent down via a Bolt of lightning!!