Rooted now what?

toorima

Reaction score
Using the long method I rooted my phone. Now what?

Sorry this is my first droid.

What are roms and kernels per say?

Thanks.

simpdogg

Reaction score
Roms and Kernels are little pieces of puffed wheat made from post cereal.

SimpDogg

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I often wonder why people root their phones and have no idea why they are rooting them.

Custom ROMs, overclocking, access to a large selection of applications that require rooting.

Be careful please. It's not a great idea to jump into the pool before you look to see if there is water in it.

alboboy10

Reaction score
I often wonder why people root their phones and have no idea why they are rooting them.

Custom ROMs, overclocking, access to a large selection of applications that require rooting.

Be careful please. It's not a great idea to jump into the pool before you look to see if there is water in it.

Lol reminds me of a college experience freshmen year. Some kid jumped in the pool where it said eight feet...he almost drowned and they pulled him out. When I asked what happened he said "i can't swim".

I haven't done any custom roms and kernels yet but I have been using the apps that are for rooted phones

Natey2

Reaction score

The main reason is that rooting is over-hyped all over the place. Nobody really explains the dangers/ disadvantages of rooting, overclocking, undervolting, flashing an unknown ROM, etc. Only the possible benefits are highlighted, and this presents a very biased view to the newbies.
Good thing is that there are people around to bail anyone (many people, actually) who run into problems.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
#1 thing to do once rooted....Make a backup with Clockwork recovery!

Natey2

Reaction score

Is that better than a nandroid backup, or a Titanium backup?

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

It is a nandroid backup. They are done from recovery.

A TiBu backup is good for restoring apps with data when switching between Roms. A nandroid is a backup of your ENTIRE phone, in case you mess it up, a lot like a windows restore point.

Natey2

Reaction score

It is a nandroid backup. They are done from recovery.

A TiBu backup is good for restoring apps with data when switching between Roms. A nandroid is a backup of your ENTIRE phone, in case you mess it up, a lot like a windows restore point.

I may have been misinformed, but I heard that nandroid will not back up anything on a SD card, and that includes anything that was App2SD, so a nandroid recovery could leave one with some missing components.
I gotta read up on this Clockwork thing... I thought nandroid was a part of the standard Android system; no 3rd party app needed to run it. Carriers should allow nandroid backups/restore without the need for root.