Just Rooted My Thunderbolt, Now What?

Kevin18

Reaction score
This was my first time rooting an android device. I used the 3 step method that is stickied in this thread. Now that my thunderbolt is rooted, now what? What are some things I should absolutely do, and how? and what are some cool things I can do now that it's rooted and how?
Thanks.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Make a backup!!!!!!
Before doing anything make a backup.

After that, you can overclock that bad boy, there's some ROMs out for it. Get rid of some of the bloatware. It all depends on what you want to do.

Sent from somewhere...

OP
K

Kevin18

Reaction score
I back up all of my apps and system data using Titanium Backup. Would you be able to tell me, or at least provide a link to how to get rid of bloatware, and over/underclock the phone?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I back up all of my apps and system data using Titanium Backup. Would you be able to tell me, or at least provide a link to how to get rid of bloatware, and over/underclock the phone?

Better to make a backup in recovery vs Titanium. If something goes wrong, an app isn't going to be much help. You'll need SuperUser and ROM Manager from the market to flash Clockworkmod Recovery.

This thread has been Thunder struck!

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
For indepth info on the Tbolt head over to thunderboltforums.com there's a good group of people there.

Sent from somewhere...

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
For indepth info on the Tbolt head over to thunderboltforums.com there's a good group of people there.

Sent from somewhere...

+1
See you there :)

jeffly777

Reaction score
Ditto on the suggestion to make a full backup in recovery as well as using titanium to backup individual apps. If you put clockwork recovery it's a breeze, if a bit slow.

If you're not using the paid version of titanium I recommend you do so; it will save tons of time when you decide to flash a few roms just to try them out (and you will. We all do).

I also recommend buying root explorer. It's easy to use that to clean up the bloatware. If you have the apps backed up in titanium (in case it turns out to be important) you can use root explorer to navigate to system/apps/ and delete the .apk files for the apps you don't want. Root explorer has many other uses that you will discover.

For over/underclocking you will need to download and install a custom kernel that allows overclocking and a utility like SetCPU to set the speeds. Remember when you first try a new kernel and clock speed make sure not to select "set on boot" in setcpu until you know a setting is stable. I've had to do some restorations that should have been avoided.

Other than that, google, read on the forum, and have fun.

Thunderstruck

OP
K

Kevin18

Reaction score

Better to make a backup in recovery vs Titanium. If something goes wrong, an app isn't going to be much help. You'll need SuperUser and ROM Manager from the market to flash Clockworkmod Recovery.

How do I make a back up in recovery? Sorry Im a n00b.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

How do I make a back up in recovery? Sorry Im a n00b.

Once you get the apps I mentioned, I'll walk you through making a backup..no sweat.

OP
K

Kevin18

Reaction score
Once you get the apps I mentioned, I'll walk you through making a backup..no sweat.

The phone had those two apps when I did the root.

And thanks you, jeffly777, thats a crap ton of information that i dont really 100% understand now, but im sure ill be able to make sense out of in a day or two, haha.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You'll still need the SuperUser from the market, trust me.
Once you get it, open ROM Manager and you'll see an option at the top to "Flash Clockworkmod Recovery". When finished, you can select "Reboot to recovery". If it worked, you'll be in Clockwork Recovery (if it didn't, you'll see a triangle and an android). Let me know which it is.

OP
K

Kevin18

Reaction score
Once you get it, open ROM Manager and you'll see an option at the top to "Flash Clockworkmod Recovery". When finished, you can select "Reboot to recovery". If it worked, you'll be in Clockwork Recovery (if it didn't, you'll see a triangle and an android). Let me know which it is.

Rebooted into clockwork recovery.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Rebooted into clockwork recovery.

Ok good. Now use your volume keys and scroll down to Backup/Restore and press your power button to select. Then press it again on Backup (will take a few to finish).
When its done, Reboot System Now should be highlighted. If so, select it with the power button. If not, scroll down to Go Back and then follow the same steps.

jeffly777

Reaction score
Yeah, sorry my post wasn't all that noob friendly. I sometimes forget that I wasn't born knowing what an .apk or rom is.

Feel free to pm me with specific questions, otherwise there are a lot of great resources on this forum and others.

And remember, have fun. As long as you're careful to follow instructions at first, you won't break anything permanently. Read, goof around with it, and try stuff out. That's how I learned android.

Thunderstruck