Rooted...just need some quick advice please!

bcals0087

Reaction score
so I finally decided to root and I must say it was definitely worth it. I have root explorer and autostarts and managed to remove the bloatware and configure autostarts so only the stuff i need started up with the phone. So now that the major stuff is done, i have read about doing a factory reset to sort of start fresh with root. Does this make sense? Do certain apps need to be backed up? Is it necessary? Dangerous? Anyone ever do it? Ok so those are all my questions lol. Any help would be much appreciated!

Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else

I don't factory reset..not my droid or my droid x
Both work perfectly for me

richjacksonkc

Reaction score
Don't think it is necessary..

I don't think it's necessary, at all, you aren't messing with the system files really... just getting root.. it's not like starting with a custom rom where leftovers from the previous rom might cause problems... why are you asking? are you having issues with the phone now?

OP
B

bcals0087

Reaction score
No im not really having any problems, i've just heard that factory resetting your phone will bring it back to optimum speed if its laggy. It may just need cache clearing on everything but im not sure. Im still trying to figure out all of the tweaking.

missrachel

Reaction score
I think a factory reset will cause you to lose root... and definitely lose all those settings you just tweaked! Maybe you're referring to doing a "wipe"? Which IS advised when you install a new custom ROM, if you planned on doing that. But yes you'll want to back up your apps and data using Titanium Backup if you plan to do a wipe, that way you won't have to reinstall all your apps. dancedroid

OP
B

bcals0087

Reaction score
Ok cool well that's good to know if i ever want to do that. I heard they are going to do a speaker phone and volume increase in an ota so im actually excited about it i just don't want what i have right now to get all screwed up

SkeetSkeet

Reaction score
If you do a hard reset it will not loose root. I just had to do it last night because of that damn text message lag. It was getting really bad, like 20-30 seconds for the app to load. There is no doubt that doing a hard reset is bound to happen because of the text issue

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think a factory reset will cause you to lose root... and definitely lose all those settings you just tweaked! Maybe you're referring to doing a "wipe"? Which IS advised when you install a new custom ROM, if you planned on doing that. But yes you'll want to back up your apps and data using Titanium Backup if you plan to do a wipe, that way you won't have to reinstall all your apps. dancedroid

Factory reset and wiping data is pretty much the same thing.