Root?

Kng10

Reaction score
I've gone from the original Droid to the Droid 2 and now the Droid X. Im pretty update with most things but the only thing im afraid to root my phone. Is it worth it or are there any other ways to get nice custom themes besides the market themes

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Other than market themes, you have to root.

DroidForums junkie!!

bear198321

Reaction score
Rooting 2.2.1

Ok, so I've been searching through the forums looking for an answer to this specific question and I can't find it - I understand this may not be the right thread to post this but seems the most relevant to me (newb). Here goes - Droid X - never rooted - recently upgraded to 2.2.1 - Build # VZW - I've seen references to FRG83 in other threads - not sure if one in same - System Version 2.3.340. Can I root? If so what method? (Z4, Superoneclick, EasyRoot, any other method). Can someone point me in the right direction if possible... thank you.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You can root! Z4root works for sure. FRG83D is the D1, not DX so you're good. :)

Ok, so I've been searching through the forums looking for an answer to this specific question and I can't find it - I understand this may not be the right thread to post this but seems the most relevant to me (newb). Here goes - Droid X - never rooted - recently upgraded to 2.2.1 - Build # VZW - I've seen references to FRG83 in other threads - not sure if one in same - System Version 2.3.340. Can I root? If so what method? (Z4, Superoneclick, EasyRoot, any other method). Can someone point me in the right direction if possible... thank you.

DroidForums junkie!!

bear198321

Reaction score
Great... thx guys... can you point me to the appropriate tutorial? and hold my hand please?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Dl'd the z4root.apk and we'll do a tutorial right here! ;)

DroidForums junkie!!

xliderider

Reaction score
Just locate the apk file for Z4 Root and download it to your sd card. Use Astro to install the Z4 Root app. Then open the Z4 Root app and let it do it's thing. It really is that easy.

xliderider

Reaction score
Put it on your sd card if it is not there yet. Then make sure you have the option to install non market apps to your device selected in Menu, Settings, Applications. Open Astro and navigate to your sd card and select your Z4 Root app apk file and Astro will pop up a window asking you if you want to use the installer, select the installer.

Once the Z4 Root app is installed, open it and click on root. Wait for root. That's it.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Permanent root. If it hangs, reboot and run the permanent root command again.

DroidForums junkie!!

bear198321

Reaction score
Nice, that was simple. Any advice ( suggested programs, general rules of thumb) for installing nandroid, overclocking, deleting bloatware, wifi tethering?