Root DROID X

fatalerror99

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I've been debating back and fourth weather I should root my DROID X or not. I think that I might but I need a lot of help first lol. Here are a few questions I have-

1. Are there any core apps that currently don't work once rooted?

2. Will uninstalling crapware affect core apps like the Dialer, text messaging, etc.?

3. I would like an ICS rom on my phone, but I even know less about that than I do rooting. (I know, not really a question).

My android version is 2.3.4.
My system version is 4.5.621.

Also, I just read an article on here are that said there is no root option for users on .621 but there was a way to get back to the previous build. Can someone explain that for me too?

With that in mind, after going back a version is there a very simple way to root? Im afraid if its not easy ill mess it up bad and brick my phone.

And yes I know im dumb. ;)

Thanks and all help will be appreciated.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

lowvolt

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I've been debating back and fourth weather I should root my DROID X or not. I think that I might but I need a lot of help first lol. Here are a few questions I have-

2. Will uninstalling crapware affect core apps like the Dialer, text messaging, etc.?

3. I would like an ICS rom on my phone, but I even know less about that than I do rooting. (I know, not really a question).

Also, I just read an article on here are that said there is no root option for users on .621 but there was a way to get back to the previous build. Can someone explain that for me too?

With that in mind, after going back a version is there a very simple way to root? Im afraid if its not easy ill mess it up bad and brick my phone.

I would answer all your questions but the only one needed to be answered is. You can not as of yet root. 621. You can not sbf back to an earlier version. Sorry. You will have to wait until a root method is available.

sent from my rooted bricked sbf'd rooted again and flashed DROIDX

leftspin

Reaction score
Hi all,

You can go back to a previous build and root and flash any ROM you'd like, but you need to flash an SBF for the Milestone X as flashing a Droid X SBF will brick the phone. This will basically make your phone a Milestone X. Once you've flashed the SBF you can root and flash any Gingerbread/ICS ROM you want.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/202914-root-method-found-those-dx-users-stuck-621-a.html
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-rooted-help/100038-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html
https://sites.google.com/site/motosbf/milestone-x-sbf-files <--I believe you use the 'Generic North America' one but I'm not 100% positive, you'll want to do some research to verify that

EDIT: Also to answer your questions: Root won't negatively effect any apps (except that movies aren't available on the market for root users) and uninstalling bloat won't effect any other apps

Last edited:

lowvolt

Reaction score
You can go back to a previous build and root and flash any ROM you'd like, but you need to flash an SBF for the Milestone X as flashing a Droid X SBF will brick the phone. This will basically make your phone a Milestone X. Once you've flashed the SBF you can root and flash any Gingerbread/ICS ROM you want.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/202914-root-method-found-those-dx-users-stuck-621-a.html
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-rooted-help/100038-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html
https://sites.google.com/site/motosbf/milestone-x-sbf-files <--I believe you use the 'Generic North America' one but I'm not 100% positive, you'll want to do some research to verify that

EDIT: Also to answer your questions: Root won't negatively effect any apps (except that movies aren't available on the market for root users) and uninstalling bloat won't effect any other apps

Must be a new method?

Sent from my Droid X using DroidForums

casper55117

Reaction score
Must be a new method?

Sent from my Droid X using DroidForums
there is a way to root. if you sbf the milestone .604 file with the linux way instead of using rds lite it will not flash over your current radio. if you use rds lite it will flash to a milestone radio and you will have plenty of issues

pier11

Reaction score
All recent methods of rooting 621 looks to me far from being friendly for inexperienced users like OP.
I'd suggest to stay away in the moment from trying to modify 621. Way more chances to harm the device than to achieve desired result.

Even rooting of 605/602 via adb/usb is not extremely user friendly compated to z4root app for froyo...

Last edited:

leftspin

Reaction score
It really doesn't make a difference what method you use to SBF as long as you SBF to a Milestone X build.

newmanx4

Reaction score
If you use the Linux build SBF in RSD Lite you'll have a nice shiny brick. So you have to make sure which SBF you're using.

clueless77

Reaction score
All recent methods of rooting 621 looks to me far from being friendly for inexperienced users like OP.
I'd suggest to stay away in the moment from trying to modify 621. Way more chances to harm the device than to achieve desired result.

Even rooting of 605/602 via adb/usb is not extremely user friendly compated to z4root app for froyo...

I tend to agree with this, rooting the Droid X has become somewhat a pain even for an experienced person with this new update, I'd suggest not even trying until a stable root method has come out if you haven't ever rooted before. But then again it really depends on your confidence in following direction and if you are willing to accept that you may have to purchase another device.

BAD ASS X

newmanx4

Reaction score
It's really not that bad. This was my first time rooting my X. I used the Linux method and had never even seen Linux. The Windows version should be very simple. He put the SBF and Zergrush all in one download.

pier11

Reaction score
What I did not like in current approach of "rooting" 621 is that non-Verizon 604 build is got installed onto device.
I realize that linux sbf method is keeping proper radio from 621,
but still is strange hibrid we got at the end.

OP
F

fatalerror99

Reaction score
I tend to agree with this, rooting the Droid X has become somewhat a pain even for an experienced person with this new update, I'd suggest not even trying until a stable root method has come out if you haven't ever rooted before. But then again it really depends on your confidence in following direction and if you are willing to accept that you may have to purchase another device.

BAD ASS X

I guess you're right. I really am tired of this verizon crapware plus I would like to really customize my phone, but I really have no clue what I'm doing. So I guess ill just have to wait until something really simple comes out. Oh well.

leftspin

Reaction score
What I did not like in current approach of "rooting" 621 is that non-Verizon 604 build is got installed onto device.
I realize that linux sbf method is keeping proper radio from 621,
but still is strange hibrid we got at the end.

It's just a generic CDMA build without the Verizon branding