Root?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Bootstrap, Jrummy's OC app, ROM Manager, Wireless Tether (will post the link to the lastest version in a sec. Freeze the bloatware with Titanium Backup Pro vs uninstalling it though, trust me.

DroidForums junkie!!

bear198321

Reaction score
awesome i def owe you, "under the miseltoe, open mouth, no matter how drunk you are" - seriously tho, thanks

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ummmm...you're welcome...?? Haha

DroidForums junkie!!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Agreed! Yikes!

DroidForums junkie!!

arabstar1982

Reaction score
I am looking to root my phone, and if I can find the Z4Root app will use that to do so, however, What is the best way to back up my phone so that I can restore if it need be? Is there a good app for this, or is there a way I can do it from the computer... Thanks in advance!!

arabstar1982

Reaction score
how long does it take for the app to root the phone generally? Also, and this is going to sound really dumb I realize... but how can I be sure if the app hangs up in the middle of rooting the phone? Currently it says it is "Running exploit in order to obtain root access..." and I get the twirling circle... been here for about 3 minutes now.... any suggestions?

Edited to add: Got Root! Now I just need to play around and customize to the max!

Last edited:

jskirwin

Reaction score
My goal is simply to clean out the bloatware on my month-old Droid X.

Where am I going wrong?

1. I've downloaded Z4 Root apk, and I've paid for and downloaded and installed Root Explorer.
  2. I've moved Z4 Root apk onto my SD Card and installed it.
  3. I've plugged in the phone to my PC so that USB debugging shows as "connected".
  4. I start Z4 Root and choose Temporary Root.
  5. It finishes and says "Temporary root applied! You are now rooted..."
  6. I start Root Explorer.
  7. I navigate to System/app directory.
  8. But I don't see the button in the upper right corner that allows me to change anything. This leads me to believe the phone isn't rooted.
I'd have paid VZ an extra $20 for the phone without all the bloat ware, and I doubt that they received half that from the likes of BBuster and CityID.

Thanks!
JSKirwin

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Do NOT delete the bloatware!! In case you missed it: Do NOT delete the bloatware!!
Now that we have that out of the way, you don't need to hook your phone into your PC for z4 to work. Is z4 still saying you're rooted (options would be "Re-root" and "Unroot")?
P.S. - You honestly don't think Blockbuster and the other companies paid more than $20???? VZW got paid A LOT more than that, trust me!!

DroidForums Junkie!!

jskirwin

Reaction score
The $20 figure was just a swag on my part, figuring that BBuster would pay the cost of two rentals for each phone sold. That seems a lot given the expectation that not everyone will use the service. But I honestly don't know.

Right. Don't delete: RENAME!

After I run z4, I hit the house button to take me home, then I click back on z4 and it asks me if I want to do the temp or perm root again.

It seems to me that the temp root isn't sticking.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Rename = Correct!! :)
If done properly, Z4 will reboot your phone when root is complete. USB Debugging is on, ya? If so, I'd try a reboot and run the "Permanent Root" again.

The $20 figure was just a swag on my part, figuring that BBuster would pay the cost of two rentals for each phone sold. That seems a lot given the expectation that not everyone will use the service. But I honestly don't know.

Right. Don't delete: RENAME!

After I run z4, I hit the house button to take me home, then I click back on z4 and it asks me if I want to do the temp or perm root again.

It seems to me that the temp root isn't sticking.

DroidForums Junkie!!

jskirwin

Reaction score
Ain't happening. Z4 doesn't appear to be doing anything. It goes through the motions but when I leave the app and open up Root Explorer, everything is still read only. Then when I go back to Z4 it either hangs or it runs and gives me the two buttons (temp or permanent root).

Bummer.

xixgrimmxix

Reaction score
If ur rooted use terminal...

Su <enter>
Mount system -rw

Then enable godmode

Su <enter>
Godmode

After that u can edit any system file in the phone. Even scripts.

lg ally <rooted velocity 0.4>
samsung fascinate <rooted>

Cloud36426

Reaction score
I used z4root and had trouble. After turning off and back on worked like a charm. Worth it for me.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App