Root Question from Noobie

abean

Reaction score
I was just about to post a similar thread ...

Based on what I've read/heard, it would allow us to not only remove all the "bloat ware" (crap like the blockbuster app), as well as upgrade to Froyo (2.2) and be able to install other applications not normally supported.

With that, I as well have questions ...
- For those of us new to the Droid/rooting, does it make sense to wait it out a bit longer for an easier process, or is this the best it will get?
- Does rooting remove all installed/existing apps/configurations/etc.? If so, is there anyway to preserve existing settings/applications/configurations? ie, is it possible to backup my phone and restore after root?
- If by chance, it goes bad ... can you still recover/restore to factory?
- When rooted, are you still able to get OTA updates, or is it a manual process?
- Is there anything to be worried about/concerned after rooting in regards to functionality/support?

Thanks!

OP
L

Lurpa

Reaction score
I was just about to post a similar thread ...

Based on what I've read/heard, it would allow us to not only remove all the "bloat ware" (crap like the blockbuster app), as well as upgrade to Froyo (2.2) and be able to install other applications not normally supported.

With that, I as well have questions ...
- For those of us new to the Droid/rooting, does it make sense to wait it out a bit longer for an easier process, or is this the best it will get?
- Does rooting remove all installed/existing apps/configurations/etc.? If so, is there anyway to preserve existing settings/applications/configurations? ie, is it possible to backup my phone and restore after root?
- If by chance, it goes bad ... can you still recover/restore to factory?
- When rooted, are you still able to get OTA updates, or is it a manual process?
- Is there anything to be worried about/concerned after rooting in regards to functionality/support?

Thanks!

Again, I am a noob but isnt froyo comming to our X in August anyways?

abean

Reaction score
I believe so ...

But also, after just reading some more, I don't think we're able to install 2.2 with this root as they can't load a custom rom (as of yet anyways).

Again, I'm a noob in this world as well, so I may be completely off here. Hoping we catch someone who knows what they're talking about to educate us dummies.