Root for D3 may be close....very close

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Check out this thread. As most, if not all, already know the Atrix was rooted running 2.3.4 (nothing new there) but....apparently P3Droid feels he is close to getting root on the D3 without an SBF or OTA.

In addition apparently the method used to root the Atrix should be very close to what is used to root the D3....and whatever roots the D3 will most likely be almost identical to the Bionic.

Thread found here.

Atrix Running Stock Android 2.3.4 has been Rooted, DROID3 Up Next? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Reaction score
I have zero doubts that p3droid and woodyman are looking into this. But the real question since its something we can all do who will be the first to attempt it without sure fire ways of going back to stock if this method does not like your phone and bricks it

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

cyferhax

Reaction score
I actually gave it a whirl; the /preinstall folder is mounted without even read access though on the D3. I'm assuming the needed files are there since the fastboot bit was successful; and maybe if I pushed those files into /bin instead it would be more successful.. BUT it looks like it overwrites that mount point with whatever is in the img file so I'd rather not delete the one app i can see in bin (the cameracal one). If I knew how to build that img file I'd be tempted to include cameracal in it and give that a shot; but without a sbf file; i'm not that brave ;)

Reaction score
Yeah same here now just waiting for release of root and a way to uproot. I understand root but how are sbf 's exactly made?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
N

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Actually preinstall isn't even signed.....should make it easier to flash files in there.

cyferhax

Reaction score
Actually preinstall isn't even signed.....should make it easier to flash files in there.

Flashing wasn't the problem; just that in both terminal emulator and adb shell; I couldn't see any of the files in there, nor could I remount it, or come up with any other way to access those files. I'm assuming the flash worked since it reported success but without read access to that folder... well that's why there are smarter people then me working on this ;)

neilrl79

Reaction score
Check out this thread. As most, if not all, already know the Atrix was rooted running 2.3.4 (nothing new there) but....apparently P3Droid feels he is close to getting root on the D3 without an SBF or OTA.

In addition apparently the method used to root the Atrix should be very close to what is used to root the D3....and whatever roots the D3 will most likely be almost identical to the Bionic.

Thread found here.

Atrix Running Stock Android 2.3.4 has been Rooted, DROID3 Up Next? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Sweet! I thought this was going to be one of those threads that piss me off, i'm pleasantly surprised that there is actual news here.

bonesjones

Reaction score
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Lol sorry had to,
This is great news.

Daaz

Reaction score
This is awesome news! I can't wait to NOT be using >85% of my memory whilst doing jack ****! Root, here we come!

militant

Reaction score
Looks like some of the bloatware might be our ticket in. Both Nova and Lets golf come back after a factory reset, and since they are deleteable, we may be able to get in using them. KrazyK seems to be pretty close, I think we might have root by the end of the weekend.

militant

Reaction score
Just incase any dev's happen to see this, this is krazykrivda on XDA developers:

I CAN ALMOST GUARANTEE ROOT IF ANYONE CAN SOLVE THIS PROBLEM:

File 'fileX' needs to contain 2 cmds (ex - cmd1...;cmd2... aka - cp file /dir; cp file2 /dir) such that you can do the following in terminal and both commands run:

EDIT: when i say contains.. it shoudl be a simple txt file that all it has in it is the 2 'cp' cmds

Code:
testing=`cat fileX`
$testing
if you can answer this.. then i should be able to provide root.

Thank you.

Daaz

Reaction score
Dude... what if it gets done this weekend... the same weekend as Defcon :D

Oh, anyone AT defcon right now... i'd start showing people this thread!

Fr33dom

Reaction score

Thread found here.

The Atrix is a different phone though and although I think this presents a possibility for the d3, we must steel our resolve for potential failure is as likely as success.

Daaz

Reaction score
You say this even with the posts preceding yours?

Thread found here.

The Atrix is a different phone though and although I think this presents a possibility for the d3, we must steel our resolve for potential failure is as likely as success.