Roast of Screebl

synctek

Reaction score
The only reason I installed the app was so I could run the music player in the car and not have to unlock the screen every time I want to change a song. Originally, I either had to unlock it every single time or I had to disable the timeout completely and remember to turn it back on later. Besides that, its a great way to show off to those who still have dumb phones.

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Quick question on Screebl - I have been using it nicely for the last month and recently I have found that a couple of times the app is not enabled (in the Notification bar), and I have done nothing to unselect it on the main Screebl screen. Has this happened to anyone before?

griz8791

Reaction score
Quick question on Screebl - I have been using it nicely for the last month and recently I have found that a couple of times the app is not enabled (in the Notification bar), and I have done nothing to unselect it on the main Screebl screen. Has this happened to anyone before?

+1. I'll be trying to do something on the phone and the screen will keep timing out on me. "WTF, Screebl is supposed to prevent this . . . " Then I'll look up to the notification bar and won't see its icon up there. Then when I go to the application drawer and go to the app, I find there's no check in the "enable" box. I have no idea how that checkbox gets cleared. It doesn't happen every day, maybe once a week.

kiwiguy

Reaction score

Are you turning off your phone? As I find if I turn off my phone and turn it back on I often have to restart Screebl. But other than that it runs continuously (I have had it installed for nearly 3 months now).

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
After the first couple of times I noticed it I thought that perhaps the Droid had been turned off/on, but that didn't happen. I confirmed this the last time as my phone has been on for the last 6 days without a restart and the Screebl issue has happened a couple of times this past week.

HMJB

Reaction score
The only reason I installed the app was so I could run the music player in the car and not have to unlock the screen every time I want to change a song. Originally, I either had to unlock it every single time or I had to disable the timeout completely and remember to turn it back on later. Besides that, its a great way to show off to those who still have dumb phones.

You can go to settings and turn on "Stay awake" which wont let the screen sleep while charging, perfect for docking :p

jtaliani

Reaction score
I have contacted the developer but haven't received a reply. I am currently using the free version. I have my screen set to timeout after 15 seconds. When it times out, the screen goes back to the lock pattern screen, after pushing the power button to turn it back on. Is there any way to stop this from happening without permanently disabling the pattern lock? (ie when Screebl turns the screen off, no lock, but when the power button turns it off, pattern lock) Thanks!

OP
K

keyesdav

Reaction score
Screebl getting disabled

Hey guys. I'm the dev of Screebl, and I just happened to be trolling the boards here looking for something else and stumbled on this conversation.

I get asked this question fairly often about Screebl timing out, so I thought I'd take a minute and answer it on the forums here so that others can benefit from it. It's gotten to the point where I get several hundred emails a week asking questions about Screebl, and I apologize if I've missed any. I try to answer all of them.

Having Screebl become "magically" disabled is very frustrating, particularly when you've come to trust the app and have set your screen timeout to a very low value (setting Screebl screen timeout is only an option on the Pro version; Lite always defaults to 15 secs). There are several causes that I run into periodically, and I'll list them here roughly in order of their likelihood.

1. Memory challenged phone. Android is fairly stupid in its design with regard to storage of applications and usage of on-board memory vs. the SD card. We all love apps, and we all download lots of them. But the more we download, and the more we run, the less memory our phone has. When your phone becomes low on memory, Android will become a very nasty little robot and start killing off applications in an attempt to keep the phone's really important functions, and any app that is running in the foreground, moving along smoothly. There's an order to this process, but background services are lowest in the pecking order. I've done everything I can to keep Screebl from getting killed in low-memory situations, but at some point, if memory gets low enough, the Screebl process can get killed.

Theoretically, when memory gets freed up, Screebl will get restarted, but sometimes that can take a fair amount of time to happen. This is much more likely to occur on older devices, or to users who collect a large number of apps.

In an interesting twist, for those of you that don't like the Screebl icon in your notification bar, disabling that icon makes it more likely that Screebl will get killed in low-memory situations. The description of why is mostly technical mumbo-jumbo, but suffice it to say that Android gives preference to certain background services that have a running notification.

2. Task Killers. Some users like to run task killers to keep their phones clear of large numbers of activities and services running in the background. Many feel that these help to keep memory freed up, and generally improve the performance of their phone. Some task killers watch for long-running processes just like Screebl, and will kill Screebl off unless configured to not do so. If you use a task killer, you'll need to tell it to leave Screebl alone. Most have the ability mark certain apps as being OK to run, and you should add Screebl to that list.

3. Bugs. Screebl's been around for a while now, and has almost 50,000 downloads with over 20,000 active users, so many of the worst bugs have been squished. Occasionally, however, I still run across legitimate bugs. If you do think you've found something that seems buggish, please do your best to describe in detail the scenario leading up to the defect, and let me know.

I'll do my best to recreate and fix any reported problems. It's gotten more and more difficult to keep Screebl working on all of the different phones that are out there with their different quirks, but I try to keep up. As of today Screebl is being used on 41 different branded devices (some are the same physical hardware), 35 different versions of Android, and 293 different carriers. That's kinda cool and kinda scary at the same time!

Thanks again everyone for using the app, and for those of you that take the time to give ratings on the market, send feedback and suggestions via email, and tweet your love, I really do appreciate it!

Dave

OP
K

keyesdav

Reaction score
@jtaliani:

Short of creating a custom lock screen, I'm not aware of any way to do what you're asking for. I've actually toyed with that idea, and have even written some prototype code, but so far it's fairly low on the feature request list. My general approach to Screebl is that it never actually LOCKS the screen, it just keeps it from locking or doesn't keep it from locking.

I have contacted the developer but haven't received a reply. I am currently using the free version. I have my screen set to timeout after 15 seconds. When it times out, the screen goes back to the lock pattern screen, after pushing the power button to turn it back on. Is there any way to stop this from happening without permanently disabling the pattern lock? (ie when Screebl turns the screen off, no lock, but when the power button turns it off, pattern lock) Thanks!

jtaliani

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies and info. We very much appreciate your time and hard work.

navdoc1110

Reaction score
love this app and have been using the paid version for over 1 month...it is an aggravation saver for sure

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Is there anyway to make it so it doesnt automatically set the timeout to 2 secs? Annoying as hell

Reaction score
To the person whose device didn't turn off while horizontal: try configuring the Stillness Detection Sensitivity to low. This did the trick for me!