RIP Old Friend, Now What?!?!

sierrapup

Reaction score
Well, a nice run with my Bionic is coming to a sad end. The screen is going and I just can't rationalize keeping it anymore with all the new technology out there. My question is, what do I upgrade to? I'm lost. I loved my Bionic, but my one pet peeve was the camera - couldn't stand the camera. I guess at this point anything would be a step up. But I would love opinions on what to get.....

Thanks!

(PS I don't want to spend $300 on a Note 3!)

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Well, a nice run with my Bionic is coming to a sad end. The screen is going and I just can't rationalize keeping it anymore with all the new technology out there. My question is, what do I upgrade to? I'm lost. I loved my Bionic, but my one pet peeve was the camera - couldn't stand the camera. I guess at this point anything would be a step up. But I would love opinions on what to get.....

Thanks!

Then spend $200 on a Note 2! Awesome phone and great camera and battery life. Win!

GrumpyOldGeek

Reaction score

LG G2. What happened to you just happened to me, my Bionics video was going crazy so I had to make the jump to a newer phone.
I've had this baby for a week and I'm kinda glad the Bionic was dying a slow death, it gave a chance to get the LG G2.
Read all the reviews and see for yourself what everyone thinks of this phone.
Good luck to you.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

So since you have a Bionic, I presume you still have unlimited??

Do you want to keep unlimited?? If so, check out Galaxy S4, LG G2 or HTC One on Swappa.com
The S4 is going for ~$300, the G2 ~$450 and the One is ~300.

If you want a subsidized phone, same applies.
What do you want?
Removable storage or battery GS4. -> $199
A great build HTC One -> $149
Beast of a phone LG G2. -> $149

The LG will be most limited for accessories because it's different than the versions on other carriers.

OP
S

sierrapup

Reaction score
So since you have a Bionic, I presume you still have unlimited??

Do you want to keep unlimited?? If so, check out Galaxy S4, LG G2 or HTC One on Swappa.com
The S4 is going for ~$300, the G2 ~$450 and the One is ~300.

If you want a subsidized phone, same applies.
What do you want?
Removable storage or battery GS4. -> $199
A great build HTC One -> $149
Beast of a phone LG G2. -> $149

The LG will be most limited for accessories because it's different than the versions on other carriers.

I'm gonna be giving up my unlimited - but it's ok - because my DHs company is flipping the bill on that now - so not really a big deal. I'm seeing lots of Black Friday deals on the GS4 for around $50-$100. Maybe that's a good way to go? I do like a lot of storage - lots of pics & videos. Don;t know much about the G2 - I'm gonna have to check that out....Thinking I'd rather stay away from HTC - DH had Thunderbolt and it was a nightmare of a phone.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna be giving up my unlimited - but it's ok - because my DHs company is flipping the bill on that now - so not really a big deal. I'm seeing lots of Black Friday deals on the GS4 for around $50-$100. Maybe that's a good way to go? I do like a lot of storage - lots of pics & videos. Don;t know much about the G2 - I'm gonna have to check that out....Thinking I'd rather stay away from HTC - DH had Thunderbolt and it was a nightmare of a phone.

I'm all about keeping unlimited, but that's just me. I'm nine days into my plan month and I'm at 2.28GB. Last month I hit 8GB watching TV shows and stuff. YMMV.

But if you like to keep lots of media on the phone, you will want to go with the GS4. It's the only one of the three that supports removable microSD.
$50-100 is good but, I see them with no contract in great condition on swappa.com for $350 or so.
I don't know if I would burn and upgrade and give up unlimited for a GS4 at this point. Samsung typically releases phones in the last part of the first quarter or the first part of the second quarter.

If you just want a replacement, for now and wait to see what comes up, I suggest a Razr HD or Razr MAxx HD. It's a great upgrade on the Bionic and can be had for about $200. I had one before I bought the GS4 and it was a great phone. I moved to a GS4 because Verizon is locking down the phones so you can't root, tether, etc. This was my last chance to get a phone I own and not Verizon, etc.

My wife has equipment coverage and if her Bionic dies, we'll see what the replacement is first. I know that they have stopped stocking Bionics and have moved to a better phone for replacements.

Anyway, good luck and don't give up the unlimited.
If you get a phone with no removable storage, you will stream more and need more data.

Lots of good phones out there.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
If you can hold out you may be able to grab an LG G2 for a steal. VZW just had a 5 day sale where they were $449.99 off contract. If I remember correctly there are a few Black Friday sales running where you can get it for $49.99 on contract. If the S4 peaks your interest Best Buy is having a Black Friday sale with them free on contract, Target $39.99 on contract and Radio Shack $49.99 on contract. The HTC One can be had for $29.99 on contract at Best Buy on Black Friday. And finally the Motorola X at Wal-Mart on Black Friday for $49.99 on contract and you get a $100 gift card.

OP
S

sierrapup

Reaction score
If you just want a replacement, for now and wait to see what comes up, I suggest a Razr HD or Razr MAxx HD. It's a great upgrade on the Bionic and can be had for about $200. I had one before I bought the GS4 and it was a great phone. I moved to a GS4 because Verizon is locking down the phones so you can't root, tether, etc. This was my last chance to get a phone I own and not Verizon, etc.

So how do you tell which ones are locked down? Is there a list somewhere? I think I've narrowed it down to S4 or G2 - but I definately want something I can root....

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
G2. Left my Bionic for it and...wow.

Girlfriend has the S4, got hers a month before I got mine, even she wants to play with mine instead.

Phone, that is.

quizzard

Reaction score
I got the Droid Maxx. Would probably been happy with the G2, but man the battery life on the DMaxx is amazing!