ringtones?

missjdragon20

Reaction score
I have saved sounds sent to me via a text message. I save them to the phone. How can i use them as ringtones?

SylenThunder

Reaction score
I have found this to work...
Some people have wondered about how/where to place custom mp3s on their phone for notifications. From what I've read, it's best to use internal memory as the external card gets read later and the files might revert. So you create folders in your internal memory and put mp3s in them to use for the custom ringtones. The file structure I had read was best based on the Android Developer's Dev Guide was
  • Music/ - Media scanner classifies all media found here as user music.
  • Podcasts/ - Media scanner classifies all media found here as a podcast.
  • Ringtones/ - Media scanner classifies all media found here as a ringtone.
  • Alarms/ - Media scanner classifies all media found here as an alarm sound.
  • Notifications/ - Media scanner classifies all media found here as a notification sound.
  • Pictures/ - All photos (excluding those taken with the camera).
  • Movies/ - All movies (excluding those taken with the camcorder).
  • Download/ - Miscellaneous downloads
I had also read it didn't really matter - android would find them anywhere - but to nest the above structure under 'media' for neatness. And, finally, a developer who was pretty adamant that 'SD Card / media / audio / ringtones ' was the default location and should be used. Although from what I can tell that's off the system directory which most users connecting via USB or using My Files wouldn't be able to emulate. This made me all the more curious as to what to tell people wanting to store custom mp3's for notifications.

So I tested (within the sdcard, or internal memory, folder) using a few variations just to see what happened. All filenames were lowercase. My results:
  • (sdcard) /sdcard / media / audio / ringtones :works for phone ringtones
  • (sdcard) /media / :works for phone ringtones
  • (sdcard) /media / ringtones :works for phone ringtones
  • (sdcard) /sdcard / media / audio / notifications :works for notification ringtones
I'm just curious if anyone else has played around with this and what they found? Did it matter where you put your mp3s or have you found any tips to share?

From looking around it appears some folks are able to do this without problems, but others seem to have real difficulty getting it to work. I'm just trying to learn from the group what your thoughts and experiences are.
The bold top section is what I use
I have additionally heard that you can create a couple of other folders to further specify the ringtones, like one for e-mail, ect. Unfortunately, I am currently unable to locate the source for that information and I never did get around to setting it up on my phone.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
(sdcard) /sdcard / media / audio / ringtones :works for phone ringtone

I use this

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
and welcome to the forums

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
:welcome:

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!