Reverse Tether

W33g33

Reaction score
So where I live gets horrible reception. I constantly get my calls dropped. Sometimes i can get a signal and sometimes I receive text messages 20 minutes after they were sent. I have a very fast cable modem for my desktop and am wondering if I can connect my Droid 1 to my computer and use it's connection. Normally this wouldnt be an issue because of my homes wireless modem, but i'm installing new ROMs and ever since my last recovery I cant use the phone's WiFi at all, yet that is a completely separate issue.

Bottom Line: Is there a way to use my computer's internet connection wried to my phone?

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of but I could be wrong. How did your WiFi on your D1 get hosed?

DroidForums Junkie!!

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
I know HTC Sense 2.0 let's you mooch your comps internet via USB, but since it appears you have an OG Droid, I don't think you can get sense in a ROM, worth a Google search though.

Oh to clarify, developers are porting sense 2.0 to phones that will never get it OTA, such as the Droid Incredible and the EVO 4G.

Sent from my Incredible using DroidForums App

OP
W

W33g33

Reaction score
How did your WiFi on your D1 get hosed?

DroidForums Junkie!!

After trying to use Clockwork Mod to automatically install a ROM from a QR Code, i got stuck in the endless loop of death upon boot. ( droid appears , red eye flashes a few times, reboots, droid appears...ect) I then booted into recovery and used my most recent Nandroid recovery. Ever since then I cannot use WiFi at all. When I try to even select the WiFi button, it says error.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
If I were you, no WiFi would be unacceptable. Try installing a completely new custom ROM. If that doesn't fix WiFi, your phones hardware is defective, and Verizon should replace it for free, assuming you bought it from them. Don't worry about unrooting before sending it back to Verizon, getting charged for that is just a myth.

Sent from my Incredible using DroidForums App

OP
W

W33g33

Reaction score
I completely agree. The lack of WiFi wasn't acceptable and that was my new focus. The problem was fixed by flashing a new custom ROM. After researching the issue, the problem occurred from a corrupted kernel. Im not really sure how this happened because I backup'd from a fully functional stock 2.2 system. Despite the lack of urgent need for a reverse tether, I am still interested to find out if this can be done or not.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Only way that what you're suggesting would work is if you're getting calls and texts through a VOIP client on your Droid.

Texts and voice calls come through the CDMA voice network, which is NOT the 3G data network. Sorry, mate. Only thing you could really do is get a microcell or other network extender -- or a signal booster just for the phone, but none of those are cheap.

OP
W

W33g33

Reaction score
Alright fair enough. Thanks for the responses anyways.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
If you know where your tower is and feel like making one, you can make a homebrew cantenna geared for 850MHz (Verizon's default CDMA broadcast frequency) and make a passive booster, but that's a fair whack of work and you'll need to make sure the cabling is as low-loss as possible.