Restore Moto Droid 1 Help Needed

sullyb007

Reaction score
About a week ago, I rooted my Droid, today I tried to unroot it, but now it will not boot correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here’s what I did:

1. Followed instructions from here to root my Moto Droid 1 with 2.2 –

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

Everything went smooth, no problems at all. At this point, I made sure to do a full backup with the SPRecovery utility.

2. Today, verizon put out an OTA update to be able to enable flash. I tried to “unroot” by following instructions from here - http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

I used “box option 6” to unroot, which was basically just putting in a new update.zip in and applying it. This is where things went bad. The phone booted up, but I get nothing on the “home” screen, and I just get continual “android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly” errors.

3. At this point, I thought that I’d just be able to use the SPRecovery app to restore my back up, but found out that when I boot, I don’t have the SPRecovery app anymore.

4. It also seems that RSD no longer recognizes when my phone is attached, even after I change the option to First-Come-First-ServeDeviceId.

Any ideas?

Thanks again for any help.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
About a week ago, I rooted my Droid, today I tried to unroot it, but now it will not boot correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here’s what I did:

1. Followed instructions from here to root my Moto Droid 1 with 2.2 –

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

Everything went smooth, no problems at all. At this point, I made sure to do a full backup with the SPRecovery utility.

2. Today, verizon put out an OTA update to be able to enable flash. I tried to “unroot” by following instructions from here - http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

I used “box option 6” to unroot, which was basically just putting in a new update.zip in and applying it. This is where things went bad. The phone booted up, but I get nothing on the “home” screen, and I just get continual “android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly” errors.

3. At this point, I thought that I’d just be able to use the SPRecovery app to restore my back up, but found out that when I boot, I don’t have the SPRecovery app anymore.

4. It also seems that RSD no longer recognizes when my phone is attached, even after I change the option to First-Come-First-ServeDeviceId.

Any ideas?

Thanks again for any help.

Box option 5 is the way to unroot. then box option 2 to put SPR back on

You are in bootloader mode and RSD wil not recognize your device?

OP
S

sullyb007

Reaction score
There might be some discrepancy in the titles of the box options, see attachment for the screen shot of the instructions that I used.

Yes, while in boot loader (holding the D key towards the screen during boot up) RSD shows nothing connected. I tried waiting about 5 mins before changing the setting and restarting the RSD app, and it still didn't see it.

moz-screenshot.png

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Have you tried rebooting the computer and phone and trying again?

OP
S

sullyb007

Reaction score
Yes, multiple times.

One thing that I'm seeing is that when the phone boots up to boot loader, windows starts looking for a driver. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling RSD, but no luck. Could it be that I need to get the moto driver from somewhere? If so, where do I get it?

My next option would be to try my other laptop when I get home tonight. That's the box that I originally rooted the phone from, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes, multiple times.

One thing that I'm seeing is that when the phone boots up to boot loader, windows starts looking for a driver. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling RSD, but no luck. Could it be that I need to get the moto driver from somewhere? If so, where do I get it?

My next option would be to try my other laptop when I get home tonight. That's the box that I originally rooted the phone from, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Ya that might be it.
Did you ever install the Moto Drivers on the computer you are using now?

OP
S

sullyb007

Reaction score
It looks like that was the problem. I'm not sure what happened, I've connected the phone to this computer before without this problem, in fact, I think I needed to install the drivers when testing out Googles app inventor.

In any case, I reinstalled the drivers and now RSD is recognizing the phone, what's my next step?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It looks like that was the problem. I'm not sure what happened, I've connected the phone to this computer before without this problem, in fact, I think I needed to install the drivers when testing out Googles app inventor.

In any case, I reinstalled the drivers and now RSD is recognizing the phone, what's my next step?

use link 1 to flash stock SBF and go back to unrooted 2.0.1. from here either try to see if you can get the update OTA or manually install them yourself

OP
S

sullyb007

Reaction score
Tallica, Abe21599,

Thanks for all the help, I'm now back to stock. I guess I didn't realize that unrooting would wipe all my existing apps and preferences, but that's ok since I'm back up and running dancedroid

Just for future reference (and a better understanding on my part), once I root, and verizon release os updates, what's the best way to get those updates without going back to stock and having to start all over again?

Thanks again for the help!

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Tallica, Abe21599,

Thanks for all the help, I'm now back to stock. I guess I didn't realize that unrooting would wipe all my existing apps and preferences, but that's ok since I'm back up and running dancedroid

Just for future reference (and a better understanding on my part), once I root, and verizon release os updates, what's the best way to get those updates without going back to stock and having to start all over again?

Thanks again for the help!

dont install a recovery system so it doesnt block OTA updates (but updating will cause you to lose root). or you can use ROMs that are built on the same build that is released by VZW.

check out mybackup pro if you need a backup system for your apps (other than recovery methods)

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
Probably someone will release a rooted version you can flash. It's been done already with FRG22D. Or someone will work it into a ROM. They're pretty fast that way.

sent via subspace radio