I screwed up royally!!! help unroot phone with dead backlight..

eggsped

Reaction score
I have a Droid 1 that the backlight is dead on, it is a company phone and is rooted. My employer isn't so much concerned about the phone being rooted as I am sure Verizon would be. I tried to unroot blindly but loading the SBF file now fails at "Switching Device to BP Pass through" how the heck can I unroot this phone before the replacement gets here?

prior to attempting to unroot, which I'm now convinced was a really bad idea, the phone functioned normally except backlight is dead. I could swipe to answer calls bootup and everything else. VZ is sending a replacement phone so I figured I should try to unroot. I followed the directions here...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html

but loading the sbf file fails now the phone no longer boots and I can't get an sbf file to laod. Any suggestions?

Thanks

you_scrubb

Reaction score
Did u do a nandroid backup? Or any backup? If so, power down the device and hold x while powering up. That should put u in recovery. Restore it to ur last backup. Once u get it running again, I think rom manager can get u back to stock and unrooted but not sure. Or I think you can use easyroot to unroot it.

Sent from my Droid

OP
E

eggsped

Reaction score
Many thanks for the very very quick replies!

I think I got it...

I uninstalled all moto drivers and reinstalled. Then ran RSD Lite again and it appears to have worked. I can't tell for sure but I think I'm at the phone setup screen. In any event I don't believe stuck in the bootloader menu. I'm going to see if I can find any screenshots of the initial phone setup and try to run through it blindly to at least get it back to the home screen.

Thanks again

OP
E

eggsped

Reaction score
I'm pretty bummed right now. I've had my droid since day 2 and have never had an issue with it, now I'm going to end up with a refurb and based on the stories I've read on these forums I have a good chance of ending up with a POS. In any case this just reinforces why I only do one year contracts. The only problem is that I really like how easy it is to root the Droid 1 and mine has always been plenty fast running at stock clock speeds. I feel like I'm losing an old friend :(

edit:

I was at the setup screen and was able to activate the phone, but I must have messed something up after that because that's as far as I was able to get. I've since rebooted the phone but have no idea what screen it boots to. Oh well the replacement is due in tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help..

perfoliate

Reaction score
I know how you feel. I just got a replacement for mine after having it since day one. But to brighten your hopes, my replacement was virtually brand new. Not even any dust or dirt anywhere. With a new build date. So not everyone gets a pos. Good luck

OP
E

eggsped

Reaction score
I know how you feel. I just got a replacement for mine after having it since day one. But to brighten your hopes, my replacement was virtually brand new. Not even any dust or dirt anywhere. With a new build date. So not everyone gets a pos. Good luck

That makes me feel good. I ran to the VZ store at lunch and looked at the newer models and I find myself gravitating toward the Droid 2 and I really like the screen size of the X I just don't know if I would be able to deal with toting that monster around in my pocket. Even though 99.9% of the time my phone runs a vanilla stock root I really like having the ability to delete bloat apps and to play with a custom ROM if I really want to. I just started playing with the MIUI rom before travelling on business and am really liking it. I hope to be able to run it on a stock clock speed ROM when my replacement arrives.