Restore an item from the trash can?

Stig

Reaction score
I mistakenly put my camera/camcorder viewer in the trash can and would like to get it back. Is there a way to open the trash can and restore an item? And if not, is there a way to simply add another to the screen like any other shortcut? I don't even know what it's called but it's the standard, pre-loaded one that comes with the X.

Many thanks!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you go into your "app drawer" find the icon and long press it, it will be placed on your homescreen...you can also longpress a blank spot on your homescreen and when the box comes up choose shortcuts/applications and pick your app shortcut :)

OP
Stig

Stig

Reaction score
Yep, tried that but I don't see it listed - or I just don't know what it's called or if it's buried under another sub menu.

Any thoughts on opening the trash can?

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
The trash isn't like a computer trash can. All it does is remove the links from your home screens. There is nothing to get, nothing to empty. The default camera is named Camera, the default camcorder is named Camcorder. If you can't find them using the methods described by tp76 then something more than dragging them into the trash is to blame.

If you actually went into settings or some other application (like appbrain.com) to uninstall them, then they are gone and you will have to download them again. I'm not sure where you can get the stock apps. They are not in the Market, though you can find some nice replacement apps there.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
You might check in the widgets list by long-pressing the homescreen, choosing add/widgets and selecting one that has something to do with the camera...I don't have an X or I could be more specific

Technoman

Reaction score
Yep, tried that but I don't see it listed - or I just don't know what it's called or if it's buried under another sub menu.

Any thoughts on opening the trash can?

The items on your home screens are not actual APP's, they are similar to a Windows shortcut you would place on your desktop.

The APP's as mentioned are in your launcher tray, and they are named "camera" for the still camera and "camcorder" for the video camera. If you can't find them by accessing your launcher, then I have to assume you are rooted and have deleted them via superuser root access.

Sounds like you need to perform a "factory reset" under the privacy option available by pressing the menu hard key, and then choosing "settings". Scroll down to "privacy" and then down to "factory data reset".

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
You might check in the widgets list by long-pressing the homescreen, choosing add/widgets and selecting one that has something to do with the camera...I don't have an X or I could be more specific

I do have a Droid X, so I had to look. Nope, no widgets, but I did find a way to add the camera via Long press screen / Shortcuts / Activities. It's a long way down the Activities list, and it takes forever for the list to show up, but the Camera does show up. Once there you expand the camera options and choose the first one (com.motoroala.Camera.Camera).

If the Camera app is really missing, I doubt this will work any better than looking through the app drawer.

OP
Stig

Stig

Reaction score
Nope I haven't rooted anything - that stuff is way beyond me - nor have i uninstalled the camera or camcorder, they both still work fine and I can make as many shortcuts to them as needed. The "app" that's missing is the viewer/player that came pre-installed. It's a small TV screen that had small buttons below it where you could view either pictures or films that you had shot.

I'm sorry to learn that the trash can't be accessed, perhaps a re-set will help but wouldn't that mean all downloaded apps and settings would have to be re-installed once again? Eeesh. If so, I'll just learn to live without it or perhaps try another viewer via the market.

Thanks TP76, Technoman, and TwerpPoet for taking the time :)

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
That is the slideshow widget, like they said if you long press and go under Motorola widgets it should be under there. Or maybe Android widgets not sure I took mine off because I don't use it, but it is there somewhere.

OP
Stig

Stig

Reaction score
Nope that's not it either, slideshow widget is just another icon shortcut that lets you view your photos. What I'm talking about was neither an icon nor a shortcut but a desktop app like, and this a bad example, stick note.

Clear as mud, right? Sorry for not making this clear, wish I knew what it was actually called. Will comb through the manual tomorrow.

Technoman

Reaction score
Nope I haven't rooted anything - The "app" that's missing is the viewer/player that came pre-installed. It's a small TV screen that had small buttons below it where you could view either pictures or films that you had shot.

I have looked across all of my APP's, Widgets (Motorola and Android), and I can't find anything that matches your description. Perhaps this was something that you had installed from the market and no longer have installed now?

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
The "app" that's missing is the viewer/player that came pre-installed. It's a small TV screen that had small buttons below it where you could view either pictures or films that you had shot. . .

Are you talking about the Gallery app? You can get to it from inside the camera app by touching the screen while in camera mode. When the controls appear there is what looks a bit like a stack of pictures in the lower left of the screen (landscape mode). Or you can just go to your app drawer and choose it directly.

The look and feel of this app changed drastically with Froyo, which might be why you think it is missing. It will still let you look through your pictures, play movies, and even a basic slideshow.

OP
Stig

Stig

Reaction score
Perhaps this was something that you had installed from the market and no longer have installed now?

No, this player was there from day one Technoman - unless the gal at the Verizon store downloaded it.

It's also not the gallery app Twerp, which as you say, is quite different now - it's still there and working fine.

lewwill

Reaction score
I mistakenly put my camera/camcorder viewer in the trash can and would like to get it back. Is there a way to open the trash can and restore an item? And if not, is there a way to simply add another to the screen like any other shortcut? I don't even know what it's called but it's the standard, pre-loaded one that comes with the X.

Many thanks!

Are you talking about GALLERY?

lewwill

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't read Terp's post. I am pretty much stock and have nothing like what you are describing.