Received my Piel Frama Case Today!!!

OP
T

Terra

Reaction score
Question ... How easy is it to remove the phone from the case?

It's very easy. The phone is held in place by pressure. Moreover the side walls are slightly rounded at the top; this acts as a track, and the phone can be slipped on or off with minimal effort.

Prometheus

Reaction score
I've been using my Piel Frama iMagnum case for a few days now. Paid $87 for product, tax, shipping from cases.com. I have the tan one. I didn't know about any discounts or promos and i realize it CAN be purchased cheaper.

My opinion in mixed on this... no denying it's very well made and has quality materials. My issue is with the design. There are just a few design issues:

1. The hole for the headphone jack is basically useless for actual use. The case can't be opened while the headphones are plugged in. It's decent for listening to music on a walk or workout, but tedious if you need to use the screen.

2. The removable belt clip is silly. I've seen the whole removable clip thing done with considerably less bulk. There's usually a little plug that comes in and out from the inside. With this design even when not using the belt clip, I have a little metal tab sitting there all of the time. Also, it's a huge bump for something I'll never use. Come on, for $87 they couldn't have given me the option for no clip and kept it clean and bump-free with no silly wrench and metal plugs?

3. Rather bulky - I know there's a trade off: protection / bulk. My issue is the overall fit. If you slim millimeters here and there, you get a MUCH slimmer case. I can fit 3 credit cards between the screen and the flap. Why is there so much room there? Add to that the silly and pointless belt clip bump and I have an extra 5-6 mm. If there was going to be that much room why not attach an elastic band so I could actually carry ID and card in that area? Or make a flap to stick stuff in. I wanted a slim case and this just has gaps where there should be none.

4. I find it difficult to type in landscape mode with this case. With the cover open and flopping it's in the way. With the cover folded all of the way over and behind and it's too thick to hold. I'm sure I'll adjust to it eventually. But having it open and flip sideways rather than longways would have COMPLETELY eliminated this design flaw (and solve the headphone jack isssue and the USB hole issue, issue #5).)

5. The area above the USB port is needlessly left exposed. I know I'm whining about the bulk and adding that corner would be even MORE bulk. But, I want complete protection and this is a big missing corner. I think the USB port hole could have been cut out a little smaller rather than leaving that whole edge exposed.

6. I think my belt clip is broken. I don't plan on ever using it. But, I gave it a test drive. It spins around and around when attached to my belt. Shouldn't it click into a fixed position? If I used a belt clip and paid big bucks, I'd expect a better ratcheting system. This one sort of spins and flops everywhere. I don't know if this is a design flaw or a damaged product. I don't use it, So, it's not a big deal for me.

RE speaker holes: They do not muffle the sound much. Someone mentioned it "amplified" the sound (WTF??? how can covering 90% of a speaker with leather amplify the sound?). Anyhow, the sound is decent. My issue is that I use the speaker when on phone calls. The case covers the microphone completely. So, the issue isn't speaker sound - it's muffled mic. This is a drawback based on the phone. I don't see how the case could expose the speaker AND the mic and still offer any protection. So, this is not really a case issue - it's just an issue. I just flip it open when using speakerphone - It would have been nice to use the speakerphone with the case closed is all I'm saying. However, having the screen cover flap open sideways would have allowed a cut out or hole for the mic a little easier.

I DO like the case. It's well made. The snap is strong and I don't think it'll ever wear out. The stitching it tight and clean with no looseness. The phone fits in snug and safe and is very well protected. It feels great and the bulk is probably not much more than a good body glove or otterbox type case.

I give it a grade of B- to C+.

Pros: quality leather, classy looking, tough - will wear well for LONG time.

Cons: some design flaws and a bit of extra bulk

Major CON: Price. It's just rididulous. WAY overpriced. This is a $30 case at best. I bought it on a whim and I'm sure it'll grow on me. But, for the price, No one should be able to list multiple design flaw issues.

Before anyone flames... this is a review, it's my OPINION. That's why it's in the review section. If you disagree, fine - that doesn't make me wrong or you right. So, save your breath - I don't care if you disagree.

kiwiguy

Reaction score
Prometheus - Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review!! It is people like you that make this site so useful.

I had ordered the Noreve case - which has a very similar design - when I read about this Pile Frama case - so I was very interested to hear your thoughts about it

My case should be arriving in the next couple of days (from France) - so will be writing a similar review about that - trying to use yours as a comparison.

rleonard

Reaction score
Hi Guys.
I have been watching this thread and went ahead and ordered this case. Since it was relatively inexpensive, I ordered one of the Monoco aluminum cases as well. There has not been any good pictures of either on the forum and I'll try to post for your information.

Bob

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am sooooo tempted top post that lil photo of the smiles holding up a sign about pics.... you know which one.

so where are the pics at?

-=Jason=-

rleonard

Reaction score
Piel Farma Case Pics

Here are some pics of the case that arrived today. So far so good. It does what I need. The phone will be protected from bumps and drops. Important for me because of my left hand. I lost my thumb and index finger in an accident and I need all the help I can get in holding items with three fingers. Especially if the item is slick, like the bare phone is.

I see no issues with the headphone jack. The micro USB is protected too.

rleonard

Reaction score
More pictures

If you are not using the belt hook, like I am, the supplied flathead screw covers the attachment fitting. You can see the thicker attach point where it is reinforced. There is a tool, a spanner wrench, to remove it and attach the fitting for the belt hook.

The padding and material increases the thickness to just under an inch.

The phone is clamped in place by the plastic shell that is a good friction and snap fit to the phone housing. It should stay in place firmly untill removed. Taking the phone out involves no excessive force.

No issues with sound. Workmanship and materials are first rate.

Hope no one is grossed out by my hand. It is what it is

Bob

Last edited:

cpjr

Reaction score
If you are not using the belt hook, like I am, the supplied flathead screw covers the attachment fitting. You can see the thicker attach point where it is reinforced. There is a tool, a spanner wrench, to remove it and attach the fitting for the belt hook.

The padding and material increases the thickness to just under an inch.

The phone is clamped in place by the plastic shell that is a good friction and snap fit to the phone housing. It should stay in place firmly untill removed. Taking the phone out involves no excessive force.

No issues with sound. Workmanship and materials are first rate.

Hope no one is grossed out by my hand. It is what it is

Bob

Great pics.....and I seriously doubt anyone minds.

I recieved mine today actually....nice case so far. My only complaint thus far is the fact that the "knob" that attaches for the belt hook is soooo tight you cant really get it on/off the belt clip. Im sure it would loosen over time I just dont want it to mess up the leather in the process.

bigtmonee

Reaction score
Just received my piel Frama case today. It seems nice, but I have one question for anyone else who owns this case. If you guys use the belt clip. When you go to use to phone, do you unclip the entire case from the belt clip or do you just remove the phone from the case?

Reason why I ask is because my first instinct was to use the phone while in the case. But then I thought it would be harder to use the phone while in the case. Slighty because of the bulk, but I can learn to live with that. But very awkward to use the camera while in the case? You can't fold the front cover all the way over or it will cover the camera so you have to leave it flapping open.

Last edited:

surfscottydog

Reaction score
I finally received mine and it is oh so good. My wife loves hers and I mine. the clip on the back is a bit stiff yet, but the leather is poofy there. Just like my old model case, I imagine it will break in well and perform outstanding for years to come.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am sooooo tempted top post that lil photo of the smiles holding up a sign about pics.... you know which one.

-=Jason=-

agreed. pics or ban. (well no, not really...) ;)

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That post makes no sense to me

he is talking about the little emoticon on other threads that says "this thread is worthless without pics", and i happen to agree. ;) there are a few, but there are a LOT of posts in here with very few pics.. just saying

Prometheus

Reaction score

-=Jason=-

Ok..... you asked for it...

picture 1: showing the side, camera button and volume rocker
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2178&stc=1&d=1264373721

picture 2: showing the other side, where the USB port is
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2180&stc=1&d=1264373721

picture 3: the back (notice the bump where the belt clip attachment thing is)
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2181&stc=1&d=1264373721

picture 4: the snap closure (closed)
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2182&stc=1&d=1264373721

picture 5: open, showing the inside lining and how snug the phone rests in the case.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2184&stc=1&d=1264373721

Prometheus

Reaction score
AND.... some more....

picture 1: open, notice the thin lip edge holding the bottom half in
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2187&stc=1&d=1264374220

picture 2: another angle of it in the case, notice the open area above the USB port that appears to sort of leave the phone hanging there. However, it DOES hold the phone surprisingly well.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2188&stc=1&d=1264374220

picture 3: keyboard open
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2189&stc=1&d=1264374220

picture 4: keyboard open (from underneath)
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2190&stc=1&d=1264374220

picture 5: close up of the snap closure, notice NOT magnetic)
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2191&stc=1&d=1264374220