My car mount that works with a case!

Dream

Reaction score
So I have always wanted a car mount for my phones that will work with a case. I dont like the suction to the windsheild unit's, hated the ones that clipped into the vents and really couldnt do the ones that plug in the lighter area (I drive a manual and it would be right in the way).

I discovered this place: Car Mounts & Holders - iPodCarParts.com: iPod Parts And Accessories . I saw the owner post on this forum a few weeks back and shot him a pm asking if he made anything for my car, 2006 WRX. I was shocked when he replied with a detailed picture of a custom mount for my car, and it was universal, AND it worked with phones with cases. I switch phones a lot so this is huge for me.

I ordered the mount and it was to my door within a few buisness days and I just got around to installing it. First off, it mounts behind the dash, bolting to a bolt that holds the radio in place. Its SUPER solid, no bouncing around at all. The install was straight foward and took a whole 15 minutes if you know what your doing. I highly suggest this mount to anybody case or no case.

Here is a picture that I took, it didnt turn out the greatest but you get the idea.

2009-12-14202103.jpg

75134-205.jpg

Silver Member
Reaction score
so how do you plan on using navigation with that mount? isn't nav a landscape only app?

OP
Dream

Dream

Reaction score
Nope, it works in portrait mode as well. I acually perfer it this way.

Silver Member
Reaction score
sth'weet. the winshield mount does take up alot of real estate on my glass. between the rear view mirror, the radar detector and the droid, i can't see out the middle. lol.

cuskit

Reaction score
Weird, but I switch mine back and forth when navigating. Heading north/south I keep it portrait, east/west I keep it landscape. This way you see most of what's ahead of you. So, we need an "autoswivel" mount! ;) I actually keep mine just setting on my panel deck - viewed just below my gauges. Always in eyesight line, minimal down glance. Of course, city traffic I don't keep reaching over and flipping the phone a lot - I'm talking more highway use here.

mikey

OP
Dream

Dream

Reaction score
I honestly dont use my naviagation all that much, I know how to get around MN since I have lived here my whole life. Having it swivel would be nice, but definetly not needed.

I believe he also offers this mount with magnets on the back to enable the nav when mounted.

xpureownx

Reaction score
@Dream

Its nice to see people from MN, And you are right MN is pretty easy to navigate being here forever but its good for going out of town to different places or even out of state.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Basically the exact set up I have, just on the other side of the radio (closer to the steering wheel). Nav works fine in portrait, and I too prefer it over the landscape view. :)

OP
Dream

Dream

Reaction score
Ya, I love this mount. I have yet to have a complaint about it. I see lots of people looking for a good mount and this one really fits the bill.

skidemn

Reaction score
Excellent!

I honestly dont use my naviagation all that much, I know how to get around MN since I have lived here my whole life. Having it swivel would be nice, but definetly not needed.

I believe he also offers this mount with magnets on the back to enable the nav when mounted.

Hey Dream, I'm very glad to hear you like the mount and thank you for the great review! The holder manufacturer just showed me swivels at the CES show that will fit between the mount and the holder, so I hope to be getting them as soon as they are available. Let me know if you want one.

Rudy

Reaction score
Ya, I love this mount. I have yet to have a complaint about it. I see lots of people looking for a good mount and this one really fits the bill.

Looks nice. Looks a lot like a proclip (http://www.proclipusa.com/) mount. I just ordered a proclip mount for my car, but it's for my 80GB ipod. I thought about buying a droid mount and switching them out. But I think I'm going to wait for the seidio window mount, and then stream music (pandora/slacker) via AD2P Bluetooth, and hardwire the iPod. Soon, there will be screens everywhere. I drive manual as well, and really like the side mount.

PS, my friend has the exact same touchscreen nav you do. I saw your pic and it looked like a carbon copy of his interior. He drives a Saab 92x Aero though, same thing in the end.

DJTURNz

Reaction score
I got a fairly similar vehicle specific mount for my Expedition. It bolts under the radio though, but in a similar fashion. I sed it to mount my SIRIUS radio mount. They make one for my RAM too, but I just screwed the mount right to the underside of the dash for my Sirius in that.

karib

Reaction score
I just ordered this same mounting system, so I'm happy to hear you like it. I will be ordering the swivel mount for it so that I have the option. Looks like a great system. Mine will have a magnet too :). Now that I can use a case, I just have to find the perfect (affordable) one!

MdicnMan

Reaction score
Basically the exact set up I have, just on the other side of the radio (closer to the steering wheel). Nav works fine in portrait, and I too prefer it over the landscape view. :)

Same here. Much prefer it in portrait mode. This way all of the other apps look normal and frankly, Google Nav does look better to be in portrait.

Last edited: