Droid car docks that work with cases

Discussion in 'Android Accessories' started by skidemn, Nov 23, 2009.

1. skidemn

skidemn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As promised I finally have pictures to post of the 3 versions of Droid mounts I tested with cases. The holder includes the magnet which allows the Droid to automatically enter car mode when seated. The 3 options are a cigarette lighter mount, a window mount, and a vehicle specific mount which is probably the nicest but also the most expensive way to go. If demand warrants, I may make a cupholder version as well. In the meantime here are the pictures. Send me a private message for more information!
  2. dkrosnick

dkrosnick New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    cupholder version would be sweeeeet
  3. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Vehicle specific would work for me...
  4. skidemn

skidemn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cupholder adapter

Since you asked, here is a cupholder adapter that works with most windshield mounts. I have just discovered we can also modify another cupholder specific mount and I'm going to post a picture in a few minutes.
  5. Just Me

Just Me New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can all of these rotate to landscape? Would be interested in seeing what those look like.
  6. Sarreq Teryx

Sarreq Teryx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    a car dock which you can seat like the desktop dock (only more securely, obviously), in that you don't need to plug in the power SEPERATELY, would be nice, I'm amazed the official car dock isn't designed that way.&lt;br /&gt;<br />
    BUT, if there's anyone out there taking suggestions for a third-party car dock, here's my ideas:&lt;br /&gt;<br />
    1. a silghtly smaller, but more secure suction mount (for a suction mount version, anyway), I know it's doable somehow&lt;br /&gt;<br />
    2. built in power connection, with a low-profile DC apapter (think <a href="http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=489423http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/pc-209-7-rocketfish-usb-vehicle-power-adapter.aspx" target="_blank">belkin's</a> or <a href="http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/pc-209-7-rocketfish-usb-vehicle-power-adapter.aspx&amp;quot; target=&amp;quot;_blank" target="_blank">rocketfish's</a>) with an extra (or 2 even) USB output (I only have one ciggy lighter)&lt;br /&gt;<br />
    3. a longer (double-jointed maybe) arm. I have mine mounted way down near the dash of my honda civic, which makes it so I have to lean forward to operate it, but mostly out of my view of the road. a longer arm would fix that problem nicely
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  7. TopJo

TopJo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  8. karib

karib New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just ordered the cigaretter lighter/dash bracket combo with the magnet! Will write a review when it comes..

I bought a couple cases for my droid and ended up returning them once I realized I couldn't use them with the motorola car dock. Then I ended up returning the car dock because after all it is specifically for the droid and let's face it , I will have this phone for maybe a year and a half, then once I get a new phone the dock would be obsolete! This universal holder will accomodate future device's as well. Much better option!
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  9. mark729

mark729 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Where can I get winshield mount?
  10. davey101

davey101 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont have cup holders in my car lol

but the second option looks awesome, hopefully it'll work with a body glove :)
  11. Sarreq Teryx

Sarreq Teryx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    excellent! :D
  12. skidemn

skidemn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The window mount does simply rotate for landscape view- here's the pic:
    [​IMG]

The cigarette lighter version does not easily rotate but it is a "stalk" type mount so it can be bent into that position. I do not have a photo of this one and because of a recent unfortunate accident I do not have mobility to go take one for awhile.
    The vehicle specific mounts do not rotate, however with an optional swivel base that the manufacturer has you can add rotation if desired. Also, with the vehicle specific mount you can choose either portrait or landscape option for mounting the holder.
  13. karib

karib New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The cigarette lighter version does not easily rotate but it is a "stalk" type mount so it can be bent into that position. I do not have a photo of this one and because of a recent unfortunate accident I do not have mobility to go take one for awhile.
    The vehicle specific mounts do not rotate, however with an optional swivel base that the manufacturer has you can add rotation if desired. Also, with the vehicle specific mount you can choose either portrait or landscape option for mounting the holder.[/QUOTE]

Oh crap! Can you give me the part # of the swivel base? I will want to order that part... I guess I should have asked, live and learn!
  14. Tone_C

Tone_C New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same idea so i bought the Rocketfish Universal GPS mount from Bestbuy...it was only 20 bucks and does everything that i need it to. I also cut out a circle in the foam on the mount and put a little magnet in there so it works exactly like the motorola one would. Check it out

Rocketfish GPS Mount
  15. bovineblitz

bovineblitz New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Who makes this mount? I've been looking for a generic one that doesn't cover the charging port and this seems to be perfect.
Search tags for this page

motorola droid x2 home dock use with case