Windshield car mount

struong57

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has had problems with a windshield car mount for your motorola droid?

I am contemplating between the windshield mount or the cigarette lighter mount.

I have heard horror stories of the car vent mounts being too flimsy or the clips being too large for their car.

The sand bags just seem like my droid would be too far to access so I have disqualified that too.

I am not too excited about having to give up one of my two cigarette lighters, although this seems to be ideal for mounting the droid in a close and easily accessible location.

My concern with the windshield mount is the suction cup device failing resulting in a dropped and damaged droid. I have never used a windshield mount before and wanted to get some feedback from those with experience from Garmins, Maggelans, etc...

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. :)

RichStevenson

Reaction score
I've only had the windshield mount for a couple weeks, but no problems thus far. It's still very secure. It also comes with a plastic disc that adheres to your dash and the suction cup attaches to that, if you want to go that route. I've never used the vent mounts because it just doesn't seem that it would stay in place securely.

OP
S

struong57

Reaction score
The reason I am concerned with the lack of adhessiveness with the windshield suction cup is because I plan on removing it and transferring it from car to car. whereas most people would leave the mount suctioned to their windshield, right?

lockman

Reaction score
So far so good with moving it between my van and car almost every day. Seems preety solid. As good as my tomtom's cup. You should be fine.

OP
S

struong57

Reaction score
ok. thanks for your input.

My next question is, how do you get a car charger cable long enough to go from the lower center of your dash to the lower left corner of your windshield?

RyanS2000

Reaction score
I personally put my droid in a cup holder while driving. I dont trust a suction cup w\ the droid. One slight drop can leave you w\ a cracked screen. It isn't as pretty as an actual mount but it is safe... Thats just me though

OP
S

struong57

Reaction score
@Bayouflyfisher, unfortunately I do not have a usb port in my car so that 6' cable wont work for me. thanks for the link though.

OP
S

struong57

Reaction score
@ryans2000, That's what iIhave been using is my cup holder, but im getting tired of my Droid getting banged around inside the cup holder. Also, with the usb/charger plug being on the side, the cable sometimes get caught with the handbrake or my drink in the cup holder next to my Droid.

xtremecanefan

Reaction score
I don't have one for the droid but when i had my Nuvi GPS it was great. Never fell off and was very easy to put in place and move it to other cars, or just leave the mount and take the unit out.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, but I have the official suction cup holder for my Jeep. I thought I read there was a holder that fits in the inside vent that you can place your Droid or GPS, etc. in. Anyone have any links to them?

jwellsy

Reaction score
I just got a cigarette lighter mount from amazon yesterday and i love it!!! I wasn't sure about getting at first being that it was going to sit right in front of my heater/ac controls. but it ended up being managable. The best part about this is it has a FM transmitter!!!! So now i have my music and Pandora playing not stop. also it has a built in mic so when someone calls it works as a handfree through the car speakers. it is also universal. so i can use my ipod too. charger/mount/fm transmitter for $35

vtrider159

Reaction score
I'm going to be a droid owner in a few hours, and I plan on buying the verizon windshield mount for the droid and using it in the car tomorrow for a 300 mile roadtrip in snowy New England.

I am wondering how well it will work or how much it will vibrate using an aux in cable to my car for the first time for music. I own a honda so I'm thinking of mounting it low in the middle of the dash to reduce the aux cord length and reduce vibrations.

Does anyone have experience with a mount to the dash while running an aux to the car? I like to switch the mount between cars also, so this mount makes sense.

I have had vent and cupholder mounts for phones in the past and they hold up well for a few weeks and seem to get pretty loose after that, (describing universal mounts.)

Thanks for any advice, (new guy here)

FireDroid

Reaction score
Go look at best Buy as your on a tight schedule, Look online at a company called bracketron, they have all sorts of mounts and BB sells them! I just picked up a winshield mount and it works great with tons of adjustment and I use a media cord for music and a cord for charging. Keep in mind that the stock Mot car dock wont let you use a case without significant mods!

Welcome and good luck on your trip.

I did have some vibration, but I am rolling in a lifted Jeep wrangeler that is not the softest ride to begin with. I just adjusted mine so the mount rested against the dash a bit and bingo, vibration gone.

Also when in nav mode and listening to music, you can pull down notification window and switch between the two quickly!

Last edited: