Ready to "get the Droids that I am looking for"

Drawing the Line

Reaction score
I am ready to get a pair of Droids for myself and the wiff when I can really get a handle on which way to go.

The deal would be cinched in a heartbeat if I can find a simple or nearly simple application that will allow me to Take a Photo and 'Tag' dimensions on or notate using a Disto3B which is a Bleu Tooth connective Laser Measuring tool that I use for site measurements.

Still reading through the forums and trying to learn what I can without really knowing anyone with a smart phone that can articulate the Jedi mastery that so many here have is leaving me with mostly half thought out questions.

Finding sources for apps that seem to be very 'sketchy' or 'skeezy'.

I want simple things and still do not Grok a smart-phones impact on my life or work but usually see myself as a power user.

I want to understand and be able to ...
VOIP over Wifi at home or the office
save current location feature
ability to associate a location with a contact
pop ups for all search results on the map, or at least 10 within the view rather than just the ones that are highly ranked
one touch voice search of nearby points of interest
hide/remove contacts from facebook/google/LinkDN from showing up on my phone
differentiate between google talk, sms, voice mail, etc. notification noises
ability to save and open word, excel, etc. docs
ability to Edit Openoffice, word, excel, etc. docs
manage multiple google calendars
manage multiple twitter accounts
map the physical buttons to some more useful functionality depending on the app (ex switch focus)

Am not in a hurry and happy to take more time to consider which model, carrier etc but would buy in a second if I can get the simple app that I envision.

I really have to find a way to get past any transcription errors when surveying a site and the Disto has been very good to me so a marriage between that tool with a droid seems like a sexy beast.

devator22

Reaction score
Some of those things a Droid can do, the contact stuff, as well as the multiple callendars and email accounts. Some can be achieved through apps, like I know there is a skype app. The only ones I'm not sure of is the editing openoffice documents and the intergration with surveying tools. Check appbrain.com for apps you might want, it is a reputable and easy to use app search website.

Sent from my brain, with the help of my Droid...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Documents to Go should take care of Excel and Word. Open Office I have always thought was worthless, anytime I tried to use it for anything it didn't work.

I did a voice search with maps open and GPS on. "Find Points of Interest." It got the command right but the points of interest were all various hotels. :confused:

You can make custom ringtones. I use my own mp3 files and an app called ringdroid.

Most of the things you want the Droid 2 does. It wouldn't take long for you to learn how to use them. So would the X and probably any other of the new Android phones.