RE: HOW TO: Convert DVDs and Videos for use with Droid

OP
D

dvdcatalyst

I am not worried about space on my droid. I'm looking for quality. I'm burning a dvd. What setting would you change it to to make it the best looking quality? I know you mentioned you tweaked yours but didn't mention how and also that the default settings were "ok". thanks

Pick the HQ2 profile in DVD Catalyst 3. It uses the max the Droid can handle.
The trailers in my trailer thread are all done using this profile.

trailers as in the pictures you had in original post or you did a video trailer...also my dvd movie is halfway thru the converting cycle so i don't want to redo and start over, my question is did i have to manually select "Hq2" or is it defaulted already. Reason i'm asking is the only thing i changed was "verizon" and "droid" setting.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/15161-droid-optimized-movie-trailers.html

Thats the trailer thread.
Under Verizon there are 3 Droid profiles,
Droid, Droid HQ and Droid HQ2.

The quality of the Droid one is quite good, but the others are better. Its a personal choice, so just try and see what works best for you.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
right below DROID was HQ and below that HQ2 I missed it my first time too.

-=jason=-

JTAC

Reaction score
I have to double check when my conversions are done....but I believe the "HQ2" setting is the same as my settings.

Mikeharoldl

Reaction score
Is there a special setting with DVD Catalyst 3 for movie security I'm missing because I tried ripping a bunch of movies for a trip i'm taking and it would only work with 40-50% of the movies I tried. I tried about 10 movies, 4 worked :frown:

- They were older movies, and comedy vids

OP
D

dvdcatalyst

Is there a special setting with DVD Catalyst 3 for movie security I'm missing because I tried ripping a bunch of movies for a trip i'm taking and it would only work with 40-50% of the movies I tried. I tried about 10 movies, 4 worked :frown:

In Global Settings > DVD are 2 settings that affect this somewhat, but the best way is to enable/disable the boosterpack if there are any issues with some DVDs
The boosterpack works better with newer DVDs, the original conversion engine works better with older DVDs.

Mikeharoldl

Reaction score

In Global Settings > DVD are 2 settings that affect this somewhat, but the best way is to enable/disable the boosterpack if there are any issues with some DVDs
The boosterpack works better with newer DVDs, the original conversion engine works better with older DVDs.

Awesome thanks for the info, i'll try it out

dave258369

Reaction score
i use wondershare video converter platinum

i have used wondershare.com their video converter platinum has settings for the droid and works very well. as for star trek, title nine has the full movie and it works great it also has settings for most other video capable mobile devices

cash1451

Reaction score
Digital copies that come with blu-rays

I am sure that this has been answered a hundred times and i have been trying to read through many forums and figure this out, however, i have had many attempts at this and nothing that i do seems to make my digital copies convert correctly (that come with blu-ray movies) so they can be played on my droid. i was hoping someone would be able to help with this problem, thanks for your time.

OP
D

dvdcatalyst

I am sure that this has been answered a hundred times and i have been trying to read through many forums and figure this out, however, i have had many attempts at this and nothing that i do seems to make my digital copies convert correctly (that come with blu-ray movies) so they can be played on my droid. i was hoping someone would be able to help with this problem, thanks for your time.

Oh, it has not been asked too many times yet, but a search for Digital Copy brings up the following

Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum - Search Results

To save you the hassle of reading through them: Tunebite: Start

In short, because of the DRM on the files, conventional conversion methods do not work. TuneByte (or the other apps that claim to do it) basically "record" the file while it is played on your computer, similar as when people were dubbing VHS tapes.Of course your digital copy needs to be activated on the computer you are using.

In my opinion, its easier (and better quality) to just rip the DVDs.

cash1451

Reaction score
Yea i tried to use tunebite, but i did not have luck with that because, 10 seconds into converting it said i needed to upgrade to the platinum version. even that being said the small minute that it supposedly converted still did not play on my droid.

so the DVDCatylist you are refering to, seems to work well? is it fairly user friendly? i have downloaded now about 3 or 4 different programs trying to get this to work, so i am just curious. and as far as DVDs are concerned, dont they too have the DRM encoded on them as well?

OP
D

dvdcatalyst

so the DVDCatylist you are refering to, seems to work well? is it fairly user friendly? i have downloaded now about 3 or 4 different programs trying to get this to work, so i am just curious. and as far as DVDs are concerned, dont they too have the DRM encoded on them as well?

Personally I would not even bother with the Digital Copies. There are a few programs that supposedly work, but nothing free, and in all honesty, just like with the good old VHS days, you will lose quality. TuneByte is (by my knowledge) the only one that accesses the file through the codecs directly, which enables it to adjust the speed of the conversion based on your computer speed, which improves the quality. The others, by my understanding, record the video while it is played in realtime, which results in bad quality on older computers, and regardless of if you have a old Celeron or a fancy QuadCore, conversion time will still be the full playtime.

The "DRM" on DVDs is far less severe than the DRM on Digital Copies/iTunes purchases. The Digital Copies need to be activated on your iTunes account or through Windows Media Player (for the WMV versions) for DVDs this is not needed. Some DVDs do have a more severe protection system (called ARCOSS, mainly found on some high-profile Sony-releases) which breaks the official DVD specification, and this can cause some issues during conversion. These DVDs also have issues on some stand-alone DVD players (even a few of Sony's own models)

As for your question in regards of DVD Catalyst, I can not answer that with full integrity, because I am the developer. Just do a search for "catalyst" on these forums to find out what people have to say about it. In addition,. I think my post-count on these forums should provide an indication as to how I am committed to providing support :)