RE: HOW TO: Convert DVDs and Videos for use with Droid

Deadman23

Reaction score
since this isn't for macs...has anyone found a good program to use to convert dvd's?

OP
D

dvdcatalyst

since this isn't for macs...has anyone found a good program to use to convert dvd's?

For the MAC, most people tend to go for Handbrake. To convert DVDs, you might have to install either VLC, or use a program called MAC the Ripper to rip the DVD to hardisk first.

Deadman23

Reaction score

For the MAC, most people tend to go for Handbrake. To convert DVDs, you might have to install either VLC, or use a program called MAC the Ripper to rip the DVD to hardisk first.
For some reason handbreak will download, but when i click it to open nothing happens. I tried the 32 and 64 bit and i get nothing for some reason

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a question.
When using DvdCatalyst I have my settings on default to remove black bars from file. when I preview the movie in DvdCat black bars are gone, but when I put that movie on my droid the black bars appear on the top and bottom. is this due to the original file size of the movie?

-=Jason=-

OP
D

dvdcatalyst

I have a question.
When using DvdCatalyst I have my settings on default to remove black bars from file. when I preview the movie in DvdCat black bars are gone, but when I put that movie on my droid the black bars appear on the top and bottom. is this due to the original file size of the movie?

-=Jason=-

Hi Jason,

Please have a look here

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/15161-droid-optimized-movie-trailers.html

I put up examples of the different black bar removal options, including the description on what the differences are.

In short, if you want full-screen, change it to "remove black bars from device".

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi Jason,

Please have a look here

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/15161-droid-optimized-movie-trailers.html

I put up examples of the different black bar removal options, including the description on what the differences are.

In short, if you want full-screen, change it to "remove black bars from device".
eh I don't want my aspect ratio to be skewed. by removing from device it will cut off the ride and left side a tid bit so the bars are removed from top and bottom correct?
I will just stick to the default setting. great program btw very simple and easy to use.
I always like watching movies in the native aspect ratio black bars or not.

my FIL hates the back bars and watches in "full screen" mode which drives me crazy.

-=Jason=-

OP
D

dvdcatalyst

eh I don't want my aspect ratio to be skewed. by removing from device it will cut off the ride and left side a tid bit so the bars are removed from top and bottom correct?
I will just stick to the default setting. great program btw very simple and easy to use.
I always like watching movies in the native aspect ratio black bars or not.

my FIL hates the back bars and watches in "full screen" mode which drives me crazy.

-=Jason=-

Same here, which is why DVDCat defaults to just remove the black bars from the files, and leave the entire video portion untouched.

But, the only way to get full-screen playback on the Droid is to make a compromise.
You can remove a bit from the sides (like they did with movies before widescreen TVs were common) or make the movie "Anamorphic", which stretches and distorts the picture a bit.

With the default setting, you can always use a Zoom-function in a video player application to make it look fullscreen, but again, this basically hides parts of the sides.

Thankfully I managed to convince my wife years ago to get DVDs in widescreen. She didn't like it first, but when we finally got a widescreen TV, she noticed the difference. :)

Houndstooth

Reaction score
If possible, can you format the memorycard (copy everything over, format, copy it back) and see if that helps, asuming you already did a soft reset/batterypull.

Well, I"m back.

Although Act 1 is the biggest culprit, I'm still having sync issues even with the stock player, cinema, and meridian. The lag doesn't seem to be a problem anymore, but the voice/video sync problem is still there.

The Act 1 developer suggested using a Task Killer to see what was running in the background, but I don't have too many apps so there isn't anything to kill even when I use it except for stuff like the Calendar which is always running. I also turned down the FPS to 25 like the Act 1 dev suggested.

Usually I can deal with the issue, but I'm getting a little annoyed because I never had this problem on my iPod touch so it's making me sad because I can't even use the HQ option since even just the standard Droid preset gives me trouble.

In addition, tonight I had to do a battery pull because after a video finished my Droid screen went black and wouldn't power off or on, or lock or anything. Although I really HOPE that happened because I was playing an m4v left over from my ipod (though note that I've done this before and it's never been this big a problem). Also, I'm not complaining about sync issues with m4v since I know it's not ideal. It's the DVDCatalyst mp4s that still are giving me too much trouble.

Can you tell me more about this option? Just copy over while my phone is mounted, unmount, format, then copy back? Will it affect any apps when I unmount if there folders are gone?

OP
D

dvdcatalyst

Welcome back.

I had to look back in the thread to get the full picture again. Thats why I prefer email support, it keeps things easier to go back to.

Initially I would suggest to try them on your computer using Quicktime or VLC (Do not use Windows Media Player on Windows 7 to test, that has sync issues with MP4's by default for some reason)

but I already suggested that.

I checked and the movies are flawless in VLC player.

Well, I"m back.

Although Act 1 is the biggest culprit, I'm still having sync issues even with the stock player, cinema, and meridian. The lag doesn't seem to be a problem anymore, but the voice/video sync problem is still there.

The Act 1 developer suggested using a Task Killer to see what was running in the background, but I don't have too many apps so there isn't anything to kill even when I use it except for stuff like the Calendar which is always running. I also turned down the FPS to 25 like the Act 1 dev suggested.

Usually I can deal with the issue, but I'm getting a little annoyed because I never had this problem on my iPod touch so it's making me sad because I can't even use the HQ option since even just the standard Droid preset gives me trouble.

In addition, tonight I had to do a battery pull because after a video finished my Droid screen went black and wouldn't power off or on, or lock or anything. Although I really HOPE that happened because I was playing an m4v left over from my ipod (though note that I've done this before and it's never been this big a problem). Also, I'm not complaining about sync issues with m4v since I know it's not ideal. It's the DVDCatalyst mp4s that still are giving me too much trouble.

Can you tell me more about this option? Just copy over while my phone is mounted, unmount, format, then copy back? Will it affect any apps when I unmount if there folders are gone?

Weird as it might seem, I had someone else mention that the Droid HQ profile had sync issues, but Droid HQ2 does not. I can't wrap my head around that, because the profiles are identical except for a 1000kbps vs 1500kbps setting. The actual conversion format (codec with parameters) is the same.

Can you give the HQ2 a shot and see if that plays better?

As for the copy wipe p[ut back option, If no programs are using those folders, it should not affect anything, but I do not own a Droid myself, so I can not confirm this.

Canon_Bob

Reaction score
I've ripped somewhere aroud 330 movies now with DVD Cat, and all are playing with perfect sync in Act 1. In the event that there's another app conflict here, let me detail out what I have installed on my Driod and list it out here. I will do this tonight when I have time. I'll also detail the settings I used in DVD Cat.

cisco0910

Reaction score
I am not worried about space on my droid. I'm looking for quality. I'm burning a dvd. What setting would you change it to to make it the best looking quality? I know you mentioned you tweaked yours but didn't mention how and also that the default settings were "ok". thanks

OP
D

dvdcatalyst

I am not worried about space on my droid. I'm looking for quality. I'm burning a dvd. What setting would you change it to to make it the best looking quality? I know you mentioned you tweaked yours but didn't mention how and also that the default settings were "ok". thanks

Pick the HQ2 profile in DVD Catalyst 3. It uses the max the Droid can handle.
The trailers in my trailer thread are all done using this profile.

cisco0910

Reaction score

Pick the HQ2 profile in DVD Catalyst 3. It uses the max the Droid can handle.
The trailers in my trailer thread are all done using this profile.

trailers as in the pictures you had in original post or you did a video trailer...also my dvd movie is halfway thru the converting cycle so i don't want to redo and start over, my question is did i have to manually select "Hq2" or is it defaulted already. Reason i'm asking is the only thing i changed was "verizon" and "droid" setting.