RAZR Maxx AND Bionic (if you have both) question.

huskur

Reaction score
I have the RAZR Maxx and my wife has the Bionic. 4G is closing in on us. We have 4G 3 miles west of us, 4 miles north of us, 9 miles east of us and 18 miles south of us. So we are surrounded. My wifes Bionic will pick up and switch to 4G WAY before my Maxx does. The minute we hit the fringe of an area she is on 4G. Mine will not switch that fast. It will eventually though switch to 4G. Has anyone else experienced this if you have a Bionic/Maxx family?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I have the RAZR Maxx and my wife has the Bionic. 4G is closing in on us. We have 4G 3 miles west of us, 4 miles north of us, 9 miles east of us and 18 miles south of us. So we are surrounded. My wifes Bionic will pick up and switch to 4G WAY before my Maxx does. The minute we hit the fringe of an area she is on 4G. Mine will not switch that fast. It will eventually though switch to 4G. Has anyone else experienced this if you have a Bionic/Maxx family?

Sorry I don't have both, just the RAZR, but you said "It will eventually though switch to 4G." Do you mean that at the physical geographical location where your wife's Bionic picks up 4G, your phone doesn't change over immediately but at that location it will eventually? If so, then I would say it's an issue with the present version of Gingerbread on the RAZR and that it will be resolved eventually, hopefully with the next update. If not, then it doesn't agree with what I have heard about the RAZR. I have seen posts where people claim the RAZR finds 4G when other phones can't, including the Bionic.

Good luck! :biggrin:

OP
huskur

huskur

Reaction score
Geographic location is what I mean. I can go 1 mile west of my home and her Bionic will go 4G and my Maxx still 3G. It will only switch as i get closer to the 4G source. If I am on a fringe area my wife will have 4G and my Maxx will not. We have switched SIM's at a VZW store but that has not helped. It does switch automatically to 4G but not as soon as her Bionic. If we are at the mall I will lose the 4G and she will keep it. Weird. I hope an update fixes it. I am thinking its a radio issue.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have a funny feeling that the entire LTE data issue with ALL of these devices stem from different cell sites having different equipment (be it different manufacturer, model number, or firmware revision of the tower equipment).

The thing is, LTE is supposed to be a standard, and like everything else in the technology world; there are differing definitions of "standard". Sort of how some Wifi devices refuse to work with certain routers, even though they are all supposed to adhere to the 802.11 standard.

LegalAmerican

Reaction score
I have both, and after the .902 update (I think that was the one, can't remember now) my bionic was much better at finding and keeping 4G signal. Kinda disappointing....

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I have both as well, but my Maxx is running the ICS leak and the Bionic is on .902...I have actually found the Maxx to pick up quicker in one market (Kansas City) while the Bionic does in another (Wichita Ks area)

OP
huskur

huskur

Reaction score
Strange. The north side of my town just came live with 4G last night! My wifes Bionic picked it up first (like always) then my Maxx picked it up a minute or two later. All of this transpired while riding in my vehicle. Then we went into Texas Roadhouse and then BAM. 4G gone back to 3G on the Maxx while her Bionic is still 4G. The only way I could get it back was to put the phone in airplane mode and then back to normal to refresh the radio then it picked it back up but after 5 minutes or so it goes back to 3G. Once back outside the building it comes back. I am disappointed a little. Maybe the next update will fix it. We will see

Apex89

Reaction score
Yeah it does seem pretty inconsistent. My girlfriend has a regular RAZR and I have the maxx. There are times when she will have 4G and I my phone hasn't switched yet or my phone has switched and hers hasn't. I'm lucky though, Everywhere I go has 4G, the only time it switches is when I'm in buildings and don't get great reception.