razr maxx flicker screen

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR Support' started by xtor, Aug 31, 2012.

1. xtor

xtor Well-Known Member

My wifes maxx has been flicking on bottom part of screen for a few days, she doesn't want a refurbished phone, hers is 3 months old, i told her, i think we can ship it to moto and have it fixed?, and she can use her x while her maxx is being repaired.you can see grey above the bottom line, i tried to upload the video, but it wouldn't load to the forum

ForumRunner_20120831_111646.png

point of origin
  2. kevins686

kevins686 New Member

If it's only 3 months old, couldn't you take it to a Verizon store and have it repaired/replaced under warranty?
  3. xtor

xtor Well-Known Member

Moto should fix it free under warranty

point of origin
  4. xtor

xtor Well-Known Member

razr maxx, problem

It's gotten worse, called vzw, talked to tech support, they had me do a bunch of crap, this is a hardware issue!, i had this same problem with my dx, and they said, we haven't heard of this, please!

ForumRunner_20120901_074603.png

point of origin
  5. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

What is the problem you are having?

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  6. xtor

xtor Well-Known Member

This is the wifes maxx, has screen flicker every morning for a week and is getting worse, she powers off/on and it goes away. Should she take it to vzw and have them replace it?, all i have is the video to show them.

point of origin
  7. FoxKat

FoxKat DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

That DEFINITELY looks like a hardware issue. I wouldn't stop until I got a replacement. I have NEVER seen nor read of symptoms like that and have never seen such screen aberrations. I can't imagine software causing partial screen images like displayed.
  8. xtor

xtor Well-Known Member

My DROID X did this same thing 11 months after i got it, vzw strung me along for a month until my warranty was up and then wouldn't replace it, i won't let that happen to my wifes maxx

point of origin
  9. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Okay, bare with me for lots of questions before we start to trouble shoot or get a replacement.

Is there anything she did just before this started happening?

Has a factory data reset been done on the phone since ICS?

Is there an app that she uses or something she is doing that may be triggering the flicker?

If you take it to vzw, they will do a fdr as a last resort. It will also be the one sure way to know if it is a problem with the phone that needs to be replaced or if it is software. If at all possible, you probably want to try to keep your phone rather than get a replacement. Rather than letting vzw do an fdr, I would do one for yourself so you can make sure you save information you want to save. Then if the problem persists after doing an fdr, you can tell vzw that one was already done.

Here is a post I wrote that will give you helpful info on backing up info before doing an fdr:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-help/219101-getting-most-success-upgrading-ics-gb.html

10. Papaw314

Papaw314 New Member

My DX did the same thing. I took it to my local VZW store and they replaced it free with a DX2.
  11. xtor

xtor Well-Known Member

Thanks, i can't pull up the post

point of origin
  12. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Sorry, not sure why it is not working. The link works for me. I'll try to cut & paste here:

ICS is a brand new operating system that is similar but, oh so very different, than GB. Because it is a new operating system, if you do not do a Factory Data Reset (fdr), you can expect to have problems with lag and battery life. That is because your phone is now bogged down with old data that works best with GB and new data that works best with ICS and you can expect the old to conflict with the new. Not all people have these problems but many do. Doing an FDR has helped those that do. To get the most success from upgrading to ICS and doing an fdr, here are some guidelines I suggest and that have worked well for me and many others.

1). Backup your information: call logs, bookmarks, data, apps, pics, etc that you want to make sure you retain: Here are suggestions I posted before but it is not the only way to accomplish this task.

I use MyBackup and SMS Backup & Restore. Both are free from play store.

I backup pretty much everything with MyBackup except for my texts (I use the SMS B&R for that) and photos, media & music because I keep those on my ext-sd card and also on my PC. If you want to play it safe then backup your photos, media and music also (absolute best insurance is to copy both your entire SD cards to your PC).

I also go into individual apps and use their backup if they have one. I actually keep a list of all my apps where it has this feature.

I backup my texts using SMS Backup & Restore (it gives you many more options for backing up your texts than My Backup does).

After I do the fdr, I first go into play store and make sure it is not automatically installing all my apps and stop if it is... cuz I want to do those one at a time. usually I discover there are apps I do not use or want any more this way. But this is not necessary.

Then I go into SMS B&R and restore my texts.

Then I install my apps, one at a time. I open the ones I use most or that have their own backup & restore feature... I check to see if they are still the way I had them. Some are, some aren't. Then I go to the app's setting and restore for the ones that have that feature.

I make sure my emails are setup. I use Enhanced Email, so all I have to do is restore them. Not sure what other email programs have this feature.

Then as I use my phone and use my various apps, I either reset them up
    fresh or I will use MyBackup to restore their previous settings.

I probably missed a few steps that I typically do because it is fairly automatic for me but that is close.

2). After you have backed up everything you want to save, do a factory data Reset. You ensure a fresh clean device by doing this and limit the risk of any conflicts between old stuff and new stuff. I recommend doing it from the recovery menu but it can also be done through settings --> privacy.

3). Recalibrate your meter for your battery. This will ensure that the meter that reads your battery’s state of charge is accurate. We have nicknamed this process “FoxKatting” after FoxKat who knows everything there is to know about your battery health.

With your phone powered off, charge it to 100% preferably using the charger that came with your phone plugged into an outlet.

Unplug your phone from the charger, power up your phone.

When your phone gets to the “Low Battery” warning (for the Razr’s on ICS it is at 10%), turn off your phone and charge to 100% again.

When your phone reaches 100% while off, unplug, power on and use and charge as you normally would.

It is recommended to repeat this procedure once every 2-3 months.

4) Enjoy your ICS with success! Be aware that some things are different with ICS but you are still able to do everything you were before only some things may be different in how you do them and some things require a convenient work-a-round. Ask any questions if you can’t figure something out. Follow these suggestions and you will be reaping the benefits of ICS in no time!.

13. 94lt1

94lt1 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I've deleted one of your threads, and merged two others on this topic...

Let's keep it all right here. It makes it easier to get all of your answers in one spot.
  14. xtor

xtor Well-Known Member

Did a factory reset, of coarse it didn't fix a hardware issue, vzw shipping new replacement Wednesday

point of origin
  15. xtor

xtor Well-Known Member

I have a great video of the flicker screen but can't upload to this site?

point of origin
  16. dgustavson

dgustavson New Member

I've lived with the RAZR MAXX screen flicker phenomenon for months, now. It used to happen when the phone was cold, but would go away after a few minutes of use, or I could warm it up for a few seconds with my hands and it would stop. It got progressively more and more difficult to make it stop, until finally, it was just there all the time, no matter what I did.

Day before yesterday, I finally called Verizon, and described the problem. Since I'd bought the phone new in April, 2012, it was still under warranty. I FDR'd the phone the night before, so I was able to skip that step with the Verizon rep. She asked me a bunch of questions to make sure the problem was what I said it was, so that I wouldn't get a surprise bill after they inspected it, then she put in an order for a replacement. One day later (yesterday), a "like new" refurb arrived at my house, complete with return postage for my old phone already paid. I'm now back up and running on what looks, feels, and acts like a brand new phone, with no flickering screen. Restoration of apps and contacts was virtually painless (THANK YOU, Google contacts), and the defective phone is already on its way back to the factory. One day, and no $$ for anything. I know people have had experiences with Verizon that span the continuum of customer satisfaction, but I'm a fan. This was done right.
Search tags for this page
droid razr has black and white lines bottom of screen
droid razr maxx flickering screen

droid razr maxx screen flicker

droid razr maxx screen flickering

droid screen twitching
motorola razr maxx hd screen flashes
motorola razr maxx screen blinking
razr maxx bottom of screen flickering
razr maxx flickering screen
razr maxx screen flashing

razr maxx screen flicker