range of Wifi

zathus

Reaction score
Ive googled this but I couldnt find any solid info on this, whats the range of Wifi? I had a strange thing happen today, I left to go to the store (about 3 miles away) and I still had the wifi from home. I even double checked to see if it was my wifi or a bug that auto linked me to a close by wifi. I was even able to use Gmote lol. strange huh? wonder how far I could have gone. anyone else every get that type of range from there wifi??

nkcavs23

Reaction score
it varies. that is pretty weird, typically personal wifi is just like around your house, sometimes your neighbors can pick it up, usually protected by WEP. you must have the type they use in like a mall where you get wifi.

OP
zathus

zathus

Reaction score
The FCC is looking for you.....;)

lol

Its nothing great. just a normal Linksys 2.4 Ghz. I just tried to find out the max it will go and it ended up cutting out around 3.5 miles give or take. (using a trip metter on my car) wtf is going on? lol its never done this before. its kinda freaking me out b/c if this is correct, the range of my wifi is covering a few 100 ppl in that type of range. out of a few 100 your bound to get 1 that wants to mess with your stuff =) gona unplug it for a while and hope it goes away. I dont want or need that type or range

masterxchief

Reaction score
Wow that's crazy. Were you connected on 802.11n? Although I don't think even that has the range to cover a mile let alone 3.5

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
N is spec'ed at 850ft...3 miles?

OP
zathus

zathus

Reaction score
N is spec'ed at 850ft...3 miles?

give or take. ya heh. it went away though, I pulled the plug, gave it a few, now it drops a few houses down. I have no clue what it was about and cant find any info online about someone else getting something like this happening to them

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
you were most likely just on 3g and the icon and information had not refreshed itself making it look like you were still on wifi.

any router for the home your extremely lucky to get past the neighbors house with it still working.

FoFa

Reaction score
Are you using something like locale and a cell tower to detect your location and setting wifi on?

mjs31

Reaction score
LOL. No way you were still using your home router at 3 miles. Could be a glitch, locale (will turn router on to check things), or you picked up someone else's. Who knows what caused it.

Thoraldus

Reaction score
Max I've seen is about 1000' Between our city hall and middle school. That was clear line of sight from second floor window.

mikedav1

Reaction score
Depending on the router model, there might be a setting to power down the range if it persists. On my d-link, there is one. Model is DGL-4500.

hobby31

Reaction score
That's strange. I have a linxsys 2.4ghz and in my 2500 sqft house I can barely get wifi on the droid in my bedroom. (the router is on the other side of the house) Maybe one bar. If I go in my bathroom I loose it completely. My old iphone had the same distance too. I agree with one of the posters, the icon must not have refreshed or something and you were on 3g.

Thoraldus

Reaction score
That's strange. I have a linxsys 2.4ghz and in my 2500 sqft house I can barely get wifi on the droid in my bedroom. (the router is on the other side of the house) Maybe one bar. If I go in my bathroom I loose it completely. My old iphone had the same distance too. I agree with one of the posters, the icon must not have refreshed or something and you were on 3g.
Check your power output settings. Maybe it's set low.