RadioShack Likely Heading Into Bankruptcy; Plans to Sell Stores to Sprint and Amazon

only126db

Reaction score
Radio Shack has sucked since the mid/late 80's. They used to have quality electronics, then their stuff became cheap junk and over priced. They would take in returns from customers, staple or tape up the package if it had one and sell it as new so many people bought used stuff at inflated prices. They used to be the only place to go to get a personal computer way back in the day, need a calculator, Radio Shack had the best, speakers for projects, had them, and those who didnt know the quality were surprised when I put them up against the big names. They were the spot to get electronics, I worked there and quit because I could not with a clear conscience follow their sales practices or sell those inferior products once they went down hill. I am not sorry to see them go, they no longer offer anything beneficial to the consumer. Bye Bye

MdicnMan

Reaction score
Radio Shack could have survived. When I worked for them (80's) the employees were tech geeks. Don't know what resistor you need? Ask. Not sure how to configure a rooftop antenna? Ask. Oddly the hiring of techy people seemed to go away and people started to shop elsewhere and then they began the "You've got questions, We've got answers" campaign.
Today, especially with the Makers, they could have had a niche. Sad to see them go. I 'grew up' in the Shack that my older brother managed and got my first computer and first receiver there. I still love going to this site to look back in time. Radio Shack Catalogs

only126db

Reaction score
Radio Shack could have survived. When I worked for them (80's) the employees were tech geeks. Don't know what resistor you need? Ask. Not sure how to configure a rooftop antenna? Ask. Oddly the hiring of techy people seemed to go away and people started to shop elsewhere and then they began the "You've got questions, We've got answers" campaign.
Today, especially with the Makers, they could have had a niche. Sad to see them go. I 'grew up' in the Shack that my older brother managed and got my first computer and first receiver there. I still love going to this site to look back in time. Radio Shack Catalogs

USCGVet

Reaction score
Sad. I think they missed the boat by dropping Ham Radio gear/equipment. Take a look at the number of Ham operators through out the U. S. and in each city or town. Just loved each and every visit and always was able to get my item.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
All who shopped at radio shack at least once last year, like this post.
They are still the only storefront that carries component level electronics parts. None of the storefront guys knew what I was looking for. Luckily, I knew what I was looking for, and I found it.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
They are still the only storefront that carries component level electronics parts. None of the storefront guys knew what I was looking for. Luckily, I knew what I was looking for, and I found it.
Microcenter and Fry's does.

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Microcenter and Fry's does.
Neither of which have stores in my state. I normally order from All Electronics, but if I need something in a pinch I am out of luck for small parts like that.

thekatemeister

Reaction score
The one in the next town over from us is gone already and there's talk of ours being gone soon as well. Sigh* What I always remember of radio shack is the awesome customer service and being greeted right away no matter what. Meant more than the prices or goods.. doubtful you can get that from Amazon. Unfortunately our society nowadays takes cheaper prices over small town hospitality.

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
A few days ago, I passed yet another local Radio Shack store that closed up. I can't even think of any that might still be remaining in the area. It's rather sad to see, even thought I wasn't a frequent shopper like I used to be. The market just isn't there anymore for this type of store, at least the type of store they were in the 70s and 80s.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The one in the next town over from us is gone already and there's talk of ours being gone soon as well. Sigh* What I always remember of radio shack is the awesome customer service and being greeted right away no matter what. Meant more than the prices or goods.. doubtful you can get that from Amazon. Unfortunately our society nowadays takes cheaper prices over small town hospitality.

A few days ago, I passed yet another local Radio Shack store that closed up. I can't even think of any that might still be remaining in the area. It's rather sad to see, even thought I wasn't a frequent shopper like I used to be. The market just isn't there anymore for this type of store, at least the type of store they were in the 70s and 80s.
While it's true that a great percentage of the Radio Shack stores around the country have closed, what many may not be aware of is that there are significant number of the corporate stores that are still remaining open with no plans to close. For instance in my local area there's a store on the main drag which is known as City Line Avenue, the road that separates Philadelphia from the immediate county adjacent to it, and that store is still in full operation as a corporate store for 93 years continuing.

ls.jpg

The company is now owned by Standard General after chapter 11 reorganization, and is in the process of a transformation after a soft grand reopening on April 10, 2015.

Unlike the other stores which closed up and offered tremendously huge discounts on the products on the shelves, even as much as 90% on all of the component parts that were the last to go, this store still sells products at full retail though they have also come in with some pretty incredible discounts on various products at different times. Yesterday I purchased two huge battery backups, one 7,800 milliamp hours with a built-in flashlight and the other for 10,000 milliamp hours, and the combined price for both was just about $60 and change with tax. For a retail establishment where you can walk in and walk out with these devices in hand at that level convenience those prices in my mind we're pretty damn good. Oh, by the way those were 50 percent off of the store shelf market prices.

Last edited:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Mine has turned into a sub shop.

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
I find it amusing that Radio Shack's site says they're back and here to stay, and to use the store locator. The closest store for me that shows on their site is the one that closed up months ago. :confused: I will need to look for the others when I am out.

I wonder if they will even sell electronic components anymore. They did in recent years, but it can't hold a candle to the stock they used to have in the 70s and 80s, where I could find most of what I needed on a visit. I think you could still order in components as special order items, but that defeats the purpose--I can do that on my own and at far lower prices elsewhere.