[Rumor] Amazon App Store May Launch Tomorrow Ahead of CTIA

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
amazon_apps.jpg

A couple of industry rumors just surfaced regarding the new Amazon Android App store. Supposedly, "Wired" magazine had an insider source relate to them that the Amazon App store for Android will be launched tomorrow, to come ahead of CTIA later this week. It begs the question, why would Amazon think it's important to run ahead of CTIA?.

Besides the fact that it will be nice to have more options for apps on 'Andy', it also means a second way to get controlled apps from a retailer. Amazon has learned lessons from the "DroidDream" malware fiasco that hit the Android Market recently. They will have tight controls on their apps, and everything will already be malware scanned.

Further speculation as to why Amazon wants to cross-promote-link themselves with Android devices is that Amazon themselves are working on a forthcoming Android device. I know several people that would be pretty excited about an Android-based Kindle.

There was a second rumor from the same source that indicated apps sold on Amazon's Market will not link out to the Android Market. The source of this article had this to say,
In Wired's report, the tipster told the news outlet that the apps sold in the Amazon store cannot link out to the official Android Market when promoting other downloads using links within a given application. Those links have to point to Amazon's market instead.
That's just further proof that Amazon is serious about keeping the Amazon App Store for Android nice and secure (and self-promoting - ;)). I must admit, this new info makes me more interested in the Amazon App Store than I was before. What do you guys think?

Source: Android.net via readwriteweb.com

YungFrshCrckr

Reaction score
I'm interested to see what demographics/markets they are trying to gain customers from. I'll be downloading this, if for nothing more than, to see what kind of apps and differences between the standard Android Market there are.

geoff5093

Reaction score
If devs can't have apps on the Amazon app store AND the Android Market, why would they switch over to Amazon anyways? There are millions of people using Android Market, if I was a dev I'd rather stick with what has the most users.

GrillMouster

Reaction score
If devs can't have apps on the Amazon app store AND the Android Market, why would they switch over to Amazon anyways? There are millions of people using Android Market, if I was a dev I'd rather stick with what has the most users.

I think you misunderstood. Devs can have the same app in both the Amazon apps store and the Android Market. However, the version you install from Amazon won't cross-link to the Android Market (just like some sideloaded apps). So, if the dev released an update to the app, you'll have to download the update from whichever market you downloaded the app. Since Amazon will can their apps, you won't risk having safe apps you got from Amazon corrupted by an unsafe update from the Android Market.

GrillMouster

Reaction score
As for why anyone would bother with Amazon's app store, I think a great deal would have to do with the experience Amazon offers that Google still doesn't "get".

If Amazon screens their apps for malware/spyware/trojans, etc., and for quality of the apps that alone would be a good reason for people to use it. Additionally, if the Amazon app store has improved search, categories, filters sort options, I'll certainly give it a whirl.

Google and Android device manufacturers still haven't figured out how big a role the user experience plays in customer satisaction and mainstream adoption. Look at how long it took Google to figure out that people wanted a market that they could browse from their desktop/laptops, not just their phone. Still, the web-based market has a long way to go in terms of its interface and search capabilities. The market is fill with such crap apps that look and feel like they were designed by a toddler. I'm looking forward to seeing if Amazon can make the market that Google should have done years ago.

geoff5093

Reaction score

I think you misunderstood. Devs can have the same app in both the Amazon apps store and the Android Market. However, the version you install from Amazon won't cross-link to the Android Market (just like some sideloaded apps). So, if the dev released an update to the app, you'll have to download the update from whichever market you downloaded the app. Since Amazon will can their apps, you won't risk having safe apps you got from Amazon corrupted by an unsafe update from the Android Market.
Ah, that makes sense, thanks for clearing that up!

pylopor

Reaction score
I for one hope

They don't go with an Android OS, or at least not in the near future. I work at Barnes & Noble XD

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'm perfectly happy with the Android Market except for the 15 minute return policy. That is such a joke, they may as well say no returns possible. If Amazon has the old 24hr return policy, I will buy all my apps from Amazon.

On the same note, even though Google makes oodles of money from other sources, Google does make money from the sale of Apps. If people stop buying apps from Google's Market, the updates to the OS itself may slow down. Its a long shot, but frankly, I'd rather give my money to Google from buying an app than Amazon.

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather
I like the idea of another market. It could possibly force Google to better its market and come up with some a better return policy. That would be nice.

Looking forward to Amazon's App market.

Hardattack

Reaction score
Does this mean some of the one click root apps that were taken out of the droid market could now be on the amazon app store?

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of another market as long as Amazon doesn't run their market the way they run their Kindle store where they can (and have) remotely remove stuff you've purchased. They rightly caught a crapload of complaints over that with their Kindle store a year ago or so.

MoeDaddy

Reaction score
I'm fine with more market choices I just don't like the multiple upgrade paths I'll have to deal with. Google, amazon, getjar, etc... could be a pita. On the other hand more competition is good for consumers as prices tend to come down but is it good for devs? Wouldn't want to loose their support. Although again amazon may hit more customers overall as they take payment in more countries than google and have a better customer experience. hmm...

On a side note how will amazon get onto AT&T with their no sideloading? I doubt Google will put the app in their market as they have policies against in app purchases not going thru google. So unless they're rooted no AT&T phones? Going to be interesting...

GrillMouster

Reaction score
...On a side note how will amazon get onto AT&T with their no sideloading? I doubt Google will put the app in their market as they have policies against in app purchases not going thru google. So unless they're rooted no AT&T phones? Going to be interesting...

On individual app's product description/download restrictions section it says:
"AT&T is working on enabling purchases from the Amazon Appstore in the near future"
Additionally, the Amazon App Store Help page has as section titled "AT&T Compatibility" that says:
"If you have an AT&T phone or tablet, you currently can't install the Amazon Appstore or purchase apps from it. AT&T is working to allow customers to install the Amazon Appstore and purchase apps from it. To sign up to be notified by AT&T when you are able to install the Amazon Appstore on AT&T phones and tablets, visit the AT&T website."