Quite possibly THE BEST protection case for the MAXX

edglock21

Reaction score
There is a screen protector that comes in the kit. It is just OK, although it is a fingerprint and smudge magnet. I will replace this with a Zagg one, as soon as I can get to the mall and have them install it for me.

Motorola Droid Razr Maxx Screen Protector | invisibleSHIELD by ZAGG

I've used Zagg's on almost all my equipment. I love their durability and lifetime guarantee.
Thanks for the tip on the Zagg :pint:

I got the Defender for my new Razr Maxx, not even knowing what it was - it just looked beefy and like it would protect the phone, if I had butterfingers.

I didn't like the looks of the included screen protector, so I just went with a generic-type, which may provide scratch protection but doesn't look like it would do much else. I'm going to give the Zagg a shot.

Kasey

Reaction score
So.... you bought one of the sexiest phones on the market and added a bulky skin on it? I have an old Motorola bag phone that's really well protected that you might be interest in! :blink: Otter's do protect well, but man they're bulky. I had one for my old EVO and while it worked well, it was just too much.

Caesars

Reaction score
You find the maxx and defender bulky? I find it too skinny w/o the defender on it lol, maybe it's the whole "wide and skinny" thing that makesut feel weird w/o the case.

OP
iSilentP

iSilentP

Reaction score
You find the maxx and defender bulky? I find it too skinny w/o the defender on it lol, maybe it's the whole "wide and skinny" thing that makesut feel weird w/o the case.

I agree. My hands are bigger than average and without the Defender's bulk, the phone feels like a playing card. One that would for sure slip through my hands unexpectedly. I don't mind the bulk, but I can see both sides. For me it's ideal.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

pdoyle

Reaction score
Commuter slipped; ? Cruzer Lite Androidified A2 High Gloss TPU Soft Gel Skin Case?

Liked the otter commuter at first, but returned it same day after i dropped phone on floor.
had a otter Defender for my droid x; loved it, but hard to remove from pocket; takes two hands.
<br>anyone like the cruzer lite?
Cruzer Lite Androidified A2 High Gloss TPU Soft Gel Skin Case?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Liked the otter commuter at first, but returned it same day after i dropped phone on floor.
had a otter Defender for my droid x; loved it, but hard to remove from pocket; takes two hands.
<br>anyone like the cruzer lite?
Cruzer Lite Androidified A2 High Gloss TPU Soft Gel Skin Case?

I don't care for the Cruzer Lite. It's fine, but there's just something that's seriously lacking about it in my opinion. It feels like a cheap TPU case, and the one I have fits the MAXX in a slightly loose way. Plus, I'm not a fan of the big Andy on the back. It's a bit tacky in my opinion.

Personally, I love the Diztronic matte TPU case. It comes in a few different colors, and you can also get a glossy version as well if you prefer. I never liked TPU cases until I had the matte Diztronic on my Galaxy Nexus. When I got the MAXX, I immediately knew I wanted the Diztronic matte version for it as well. For me, it adds the perfect amount of protection without hardly any bulk, it doesn't feel like a cheap TPU case, and it fits like a glove.

I can understand the need for something like the Otterbox Defender for some people, but I find it to be extreme overkill. I could never get used to it when I had one. I'm not in a line of work where my phone is in any danger whatsoever, nor am I putting my phone in any situations where its at risk of being seriously damaged, so it's just unnecessary. If I'm doing something where the phone is at risk of being damaged, I'll leave it in a safe place, regardless of what case I have.

Last edited:

Caesars

Reaction score
Would be nice to have a otterbox impact type case for the maxx :(.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Ordered the OtterBox Commuter will be here tomorrow. Assuming the Maxx stays and the Commuter proves to be the cover and assuming it is a bit slippery.....I plan to try
some isopropyl alcohol rubbed on the outside to take the slippery texture down. If need be, add a drip drop of acetone in the alcohol just to see (on the inside of the cover) if that takes the slippery off. If tried in an inconspicuous spot can't see the downside.
Seems like a great case.

OP
iSilentP

iSilentP

Reaction score
Let us know how the Commuter works out for you.

Jarras

Reaction score
I got this case the same day I ordered my razr maxx too. I had the same kind for my old Droid X and I never had an issue, despite all the drops, bumps and what not. So I figured why change a good thing?

huskur

Reaction score

I use the commuter. Some say its slippery but there is an upside to that. It goes in and out of your pocket with ease and fits in most of the larger cases without special clips. I highly recommend/support the Otterbox Commuter. Quality all the way around

mooch91

Reaction score
I've been a Defender fan for years but was a little disappointed to see the cut-out in the screen protector on the case for the Maxx. On my old Droid X, the cut-outs for the speaker and mic were within the rigid plastic frame of the case and not the screen protector itself. I'm finding a lot of dust gets inside, which I didn't have with the Defender for the Droid X. I'm sure that Otterbox did the best they could with the design of the Maxx.

I'm anxious to see if Otterbox makes one of their new Armor series cases for the RAZR/MAXX!

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score

Got the OtterBox today (Big surprise was expecting it next week) very impressed. Was expecting a big hassle putting it on based on what I've read. No problem, maybe 3-5 minutes total including screen protector which went on perfectly.
Love it. Lets see..... adds some weight but not excessively. Temp goes up a tad but still mid-point of acceptable on the scale.
The protection is reassuring to say the least. Look is great, used to bug me that you could see the edges of the screen protector on the Droid Maxx. The protector extends out past the usable screen area BUT ends before the screen edge leaving a clearly defined "ugly" line. Not Now! the OtterBox rubber comes over and hides the screen protector edge and now there is no exposed part of the glass, ALL is protected.
Really a nice case got it online shipped free for $24 and change.
ALL said and to the Op, I am sure the Defender IS the heavy weight Champ no doubt. Also offers a belt clip and much tougher screen protector.
If someone wants great protection but a little less mass - the Commuter is a great option.
I don't usually like things (especially change) right away but this was a Winner - Way to go OtterBox!

Ooops! Forgot to mention a Biggie. Love the Maxx but the buttons were hiding from me. The OtterBox makes the Buttons WAY easier to actuate.
Big improvement. Serious improvement IMO

Last edited: