Quick question on rooting.

kdm3170

Reaction score
I have been thinking about rooting lately but am unsure of whether I want to risk my phone. So I looked on eBay for cheap used 1s and I found rly cheap 1 with a bad ESN, does the phone I'm trying to root need to b activated or no? I got WiFi access here so that part isn't a problem. Just wanted to try on the cheap phone that won't matter if I brick it.

Sent from my Droid Inc. using DroidForums

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your chances of bricking your phone if you follow my tutorial (linked in my sig) are almost nonexistent. Personally, I think spending $100 or $150 to buy another phone is silly, but that's just my opinion.

OP
K

kdm3170

Reaction score
Well the phones I'm lookin at r only like 15 bucks either have bad esns or heavily damaged but still work. It would let me play around wit rooting roms and kernels till I find a set up I like. I have no experience doing this so 15 bucks for extra comfort is ok by me. It's just a question of can it b rooted and flashed without being activated?

OP
K

kdm3170

Reaction score
Does any1 know if u can root a phone that's not activated?

WookieFan

Reaction score
As you say, it's just $15. If the phone doesn't root, it could be for a number of issues (including damage or some other wackyness). But then you're only out $15. Go for it.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

icomrade

Reaction score
Does any1 know if u can root a phone that's not activated?

Yes, if you need to get past the welcome screen just follow these instructions, see picture for help.

1. tap top left
2. tap top right
3. tap bottom right
4. tap bottom left

Note: the 2 bottom taps are above the on-screen buttons; this works on all (or most) android devices.

uwmqumn9h0fv7mc5g2z3.png

OP
K

kdm3170

Reaction score
Thanks