Questions re unrooting and the OTA update to Froyo

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Missed a lot of this over night - glad you were able to get it working to a certain extent, anyway. The kernel that came with it was a p3 kernel, so you might try a few different ones of his and see. P3Droid Kernels

The setcpu thing is weird, unless you somehow lost root access, which I've heard of happening occasionally. I followed THIS and have had zero issues, but hey, every phone is different. Props for at least giving it another go! :)

OP
xliderider

xliderider

Reaction score
Well I did it, I flashed the ESE56 sbf file with RSD Lite. That was a little nerve wracking. I kept worrying that something would go wrong, must be from my days with RIM/Blackberry. :D :cool:

After applying the update.zip I have ESE81 now. The Baseband is C_01.3E.03P. Should I leave the baseband there, or should I do any of the baseband updates? Thoughts?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I did it, I flashed the ESE56 sbf file with RSD Lite. That was a little nerve wracking. I kept worrying that something would go wrong, must be from my days with RIM/Blackberry. :D :cool:

After applying the update.zip I have ESE81 now. The Baseband is C_01.3E.03P. Should I leave the baseband there, or should I do any of the baseband updates? Thoughts?

if you do the baseband updates, you'll have to root again

Jejackson

Reaction score
Yes it did, many times. A battery pull and a reboot into recovery (Power on while holding down the X key) is all it takes to reset. You do have some nandroid backups to fall back on, right?

On the other front, I made a backup and loaded another kernel, and I still get 600mhz max CPU speed. Then I got the dreaded screen freezing and lagging and unresponsiveness again. Have to go back to 2.1 till I can figure this out.

My first attempt at rooting was successful but I didn't back up anything, my screen went blank a week later and NOTHING fixed it. I did a blind unroot back to 2.0.1 that I know was successful because RSD told me it was but it did not fix my problem. Verizon is exchanging my phone and hopefully it will be here tomorrow.

dmartins

Reaction score

The OTA of 2.2 has the newest baseband included.
It doesn't require you to be rooted.(SPRecovery)

OP
xliderider

xliderider

Reaction score
My first attempt at rooting was successful but I didn't back up anything, my screen went blank a week later and NOTHING fixed it. I did a blind unroot back to 2.0.1 that I know was successful because RSD told me it was but it did not fix my problem. Verizon is exchanging my phone and hopefully it will be here tomorrow.

Good for you. Im going to have to wait till Verizon rolls out the froyo update OTA in my area to get my replacement. The only thing wrong with my droid is its allergic to froyo. ;)

Jejackson

Reaction score
You know what's sad? Unrooting my droid to get back to stock with no screen to see at all was still 1000 times easier than downgrading my iPod touch 2g from 4.0 to 3.0 because Apple can suck a big fat one

OP
xliderider

xliderider

Reaction score
Well I got my OTA update last night at 1045 pm. As expected, the update caused my Droid to lag and freeze, so I did the Factory Reset x2 because that's what a Verizon tech would do or have me do (thought I'd make sure with a multiple wipe).

Surprise, following the factory reset, everything has been smooth sailing. I am pleasantly surprised. :)

Now I wonder what caused me so much problems on my rooted, overclocked Droid when trying to run any froyo 2.2. roms? I'm guessing it had to do with one of the following apps:

SetCPU
Temp Monitor
Super User.apk
Titanium Backup
Cache Mate

Because those are the only apps I had that I don't currently have now (not rooted ATM).

My next step is to root and add things one by one to see what is up.

OP
xliderider

xliderider

Reaction score
My next step is to root and add things one by one to see what is up.

Couldn't even get that far, my Droid started freezing and had unresponsive screens again. Rebooting the Droid didn't help, so I reluctantly did a Factory Reset and the Droid is still freezing and unresponsive.

Going to take it in to Verizon to get a new/refurbished Droid. :(

OP
xliderider

xliderider

Reaction score
After all that, I was thinking about everything that's been going on with my Droid the past few months and then it hit me. Could all my problems with froyo be due to something bad on the memory card?

I replaced the OEM 16gb memory card with a 4gb card to test my hunch. I was right. The Droid is running well on the 4gb memory card I swapped in. Now I just have to backup and reformat the 16gb card.

For some reason, froyo doesn't like something on the memory card that doesn't affect a 2.1 rom. :confused:

Last edited: